Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy > Player Guides
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-11-2012, 07:07 AM
I agree. But sadly the difference between MKX and MKXII Special Reserve gear is practically non noticeable with only very slight changes in stats
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
I've run a ton of normals (over 40) and I've only gotten a couple of Common Borg Tech drops across FIVE CHARACTERS. 5 EDCs for one piece of MK X gear is ridiculous. I lose a vast majority of the Rare Borg Salvage rolls, so other people get two pieces of gear from one run when it takes me 5 runs to get one piece.

STFs are a horribly boring and frustrating grind when it takes so long to get so little. Every player should get an EDC AND 1 Rare Borg Salvage for every run, and completing Optionals should give a Borg Tech piece and another Salvage for everyone to roll on. Then it would feel worth my time. Until then, I officially give up on STFs. I wasted enough of my life running dungeons in WoW back in the day, and STO's STFs are far less rewarding.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
I've run a ton of normals (over 40) and I've only gotten a couple of Common Borg Tech drops across FIVE CHARACTERS. 5 EDCs for one piece of MK X gear is ridiculous. I lose a vast majority of the Rare Borg Salvage rolls, so other people get two pieces of gear from one run when it takes me 5 runs to get one piece.

STFs are a horribly boring and frustrating grind when it takes so long to get so little. Every player should get an EDC AND 1 Rare Borg Salvage for every run, and completing Optionals should give a Borg Tech piece and another Salvage for everyone to roll on. Then it would feel worth my time. Until then, I officially give up on STFs. I wasted enough of my life running dungeons in WoW back in the day, and STO's STFs are far less rewarding.
Hmm. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense, actually. Let's compare the differences and your expectations.

In WoW, the highest 'raid' gear which you can get through 'badges' has a weekly cap. You certainly can't get a set, let alone most 1 piece in the first week. You can get accessories (think of them as consoles in STO) maybe in the first week if your class has a ranged or relic slot. But, anything substantial, you'd have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks for a single piece. Worse still, none of these confer set bonuses.

Now, in STO, you can get a single piece in at most 5 hours (that's assuming 1 EDC per run and getting a piece of the Borg set). 5 hours is soooo much less than 2 weeks. Multiply this by 3 for the entire Borg set (15 hours. 3 days if you do 5 hours a day {like weekends})

Let's go the other direction and assume you instead want to do a MK XI set. Multiply that by 5 hours by 8. Assuming, of course, you don't get any rare salvage. 40 hours, you can do in 8 days if you only do 5 hours a day (3 weeks minimum for the entire set if you're vigilant on the time you need to take daily). Let's assume you stretch it out a bit more. For a single piece, you can get this in about 2 weeks. (6 weeks for an entire set with set bonuses if you take it a slower pace.)

I'm not exactly buying the logic that the grind is worse here except for the top of the line elite level gear. (Which, incidentally, is roughly at what WoW is at end-game raiding's time investment.)

Edit to fix time constraints.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
This is a great explanation on how the new STF gear can be earned. Thanks for posting! /stickied

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Bro, forgive me if this sounds harsh.. But....

Earned??? Are you serious??? Do you even play Elite STF's?? The MK12 stuff can't be earned..
Earning would imply that I play 'X' amount of missions or work be done to 'EARN' a reward. And it would be equal across the board for all players. EDC's are the only thing earned in STF's at the end of each mission.
The Mk12 Prototech is only given upon the variable of the player rolling 17 or higher on their 20 sided dice.
Quote:
Quote from Gozer: "the odds are about as good as its going to get for a while... put simply.. if you were rolling a 20 sided dice.. a roll of 17 or higher would get you tech... and..you roll that dice every time you complete a stf"
According to that quote i should be getting a Borg tech for every 5-6 Elite STF's missions..Even a Tech every 20 elite stf's would be acceptable but it Doesn't happen.

Many (and i mean many) STF players have complained about having run many missions without getting the appropriate tech or any tech. Some players have over 500-1000 missions without getting a complete set. I myself have done over 400-500 missions and finally gave up for now. I got 3 prototechs to complete 1 set for space. For ground i had a total of 7 prototype tech and 3 Rare Tech for the ARMOR tech. 1 Prototype Tech and 1 Rare tech for Personal Shield Generator. I have ZERO Prototype borg tech dropped and 1 Borg salvage for weapons. What the hell am i going to do with 7 prototype borg tech for armor?? I would think after 500 missions i should have earned ALL of the appropriate borg tech awarded. But according to Gozer if i don't roll the Dice just right I won't get squat... What a bunch of BS..
The reason we play ELITE stf's is for the MK12 stuff not for the Rare tech. But playing the missions for some Random number to be rolled utter non-sense..
I have over 500 edc, 150 Rare Salvage, and over 100 Prototype Salvage.. Can't do much with it. I could turn it in for Dilthium but that's a waste of time since you can only refine 8,000 max a day.

How to fix the problem?? Allow us to turn in our EDC, Borg salvage, and Prototype Borg Salvage for MK12 stuff. Even if it's a high amount it would give us a goal to achieve and we would actually EARN it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
i think the idea to trade rare and prototype salvage for MK XII special reserve requisitions would be a viable solution for that.
for real elite players there is still the bonus skin option from the accolates.

but we all know, proposals from the community get ignored in general. Only STOKED seems to have some connection towards cryptic, maybe he can help.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docroadie View Post
...How to fix the problem?? Allow us to turn in our EDC, Borg salvage, and Prototype Borg Salvage for MK12 stuff. Even if it's a high amount it would give us a goal to achieve and we would actually EARN it.
/signed +1.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Ah cmon folks...you really think that Cryp/PW are going to put so much as 10 minutes into letting us actually -earn- our MkXII's without finding some way to charge us 5/20/40/200 for the pleasure?

There is no cash benefit to them....so they won't do it.

Now....say we stumped up 2000 cpoints for access to the EDC Store and another 100 for each transaction?

I could see them all over that like the proverbial flies on manure.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-13-2012, 02:44 PM
i have to say it was a good explaination, but you missed something...

in the old system, we had a goal, and END to the maddness... you run a(n) STF you had an opportunity for loot, some could be very exciting, others... eh...
BUT....
when the mission was completed you still received a peice of the borg space set...
you had a GOAL, and then a means to an END... once you completed all 3, you had the set, plus the set bonus.....

now, there is no END in sight, by design, there are going to be players that have invested 1000's of hours and still will not have anything to show, and yet there will be players that after a dozen runs will have the entire set...

the point that I think everyone who has posted logically in the forums is, there is no true END to the mission, you have no real GOAL.... NO FINISH LINE.
you just have the luck of lady chance on wether or not you can get out of the madness and work on something else....
by design you have an 85% chance to get NOTHING... nothing to get you to the set you are working so hard to get....
I repeat what has been said in these forums so many times...
give us a GOAL, or set amount, make it ridiculous, but give us a finish line...

please, at least give us a reason as to WHY you wouldnt, quell the masses and tell us some reason why after 2000 stf-E runs someone would not at least have most of the set... maybe not all but most of it... yet they are out there...
and I'm pretty sure the have that very same question in mind... why.....

please.
Ensign
# 29
08-31-2012, 02:50 AM
I can certainly sympathise with those who have run exceedingly large numbers of STFs and not gotten the tech they want. Haveing such low odds of even getting the rare salvage makes it seem pointless to even try, especialy on the more difficult to finish STFs like Cure Space. One thing that I think would make it less of a pain in the proverbial backside would be to perhaps add something that increases your odds of a Proto tech drop. My suggestion would be to increase odds based on performance in the STF. Damage done, enemies killed, deaths, and time taken to complete could all be contributing factors. Even if all these factors only increades your odds to 45%, this would still make doing the STF worthwhile, and doing it well, even more worthwhile and would encourage people to learn the winning strategies and group tactics. At the very least it might encourage the less proficcient players to try a little less hard to utterly fail a mission by not paying attention or by doing less inteligent things and ruining the STF for the whole group.