Lt. Commander
# 1 The Zone Chat and Beyond
04-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Greetings

I write this post to help focus on a matter of concern: The Zone chat and how it is abused by a growing number of people.
I have been playing STO for nearly 2 years now and I have enjoyed the funny, friendly, helping and sometimes slightly sarcastic enviroment both in my Fleet and in the Zone Chat.
In Fleet we share both stories and revelations for our personal lives, good Trek jokes, which series we love most of Startrek, and favourite Trek comments from 40 years of Star trek. We talk evenly as much of how to improve ships and beating Elite optionals from time to time, not to mention food recipies in Team speak...and no I do not know why some of my fellow trekkies are aspiring to be gourmets..maybe its a mature trade..or maybe they simply love cooking good for the family and sharing part of that love with rest of fleet.
In either case, I feel (for a lack of a better word atm.) a bit of home in Fleet and STO (and I admit the recipie discussions can talk me to sleep sometimes..which is not a bad thing.)

Now, I have seen the Zone chat degrade from a live hub of good helping people Trekkies, young and veterans alike, to a chatroom which often indicates some attentioncraving people, who was little better do but insult others and yell harrasment across the Zone chat. Maybe there is part of a certain megalomania running rampaging through the Zone Chat..? Or it is simply the fact that some players do not understand respect and concern for others ?

But we can put another discussion across the board as well, concerning the zone chat and for that I could use a good little story from STO.
One of the slow and slightly dull sundays one of my friends in fleet asked if I would mind doing some missions with his kid, while he was playing his sunday card game with his friends for a couple of hours.
I agreed and bearing in mind his kid is 8 years old I enjoyed being a social educator on STO and having fun at the same time.
Now imagine this 8 year old kid being in the Zone chat and experiencing that level of swearwords and insults coming from older players?
Well for that matter your average first time player who asks for help in Zone chat and all he sees is simply idiosyncratic fantasies and the aforementioned insults. Is he going to stay long and think "This STO game is really great" ?
I doubt that any Trekkies who have enjoyed the TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and all the movies would recognize themselves in the zonechat some of these days.

So I will finish up my little concern here with some advice.
If anybody really wants to talk about other things than Star Trek and Sci fi, get a private chat room (there should be plenty of those available with all themes ranging from War Politics to obscure Hentai movies).
And I assume the Cryptic guidelines for forum posts should apply for the game itself also?

I have edited out some of the content here which could be offensive and I apologize if anybody got offence.
My main concern is to keep the chat a friendly place, where we can enjoy the game without having to resort to harsh language, even concerning mature players.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
I take offense to this. It's not any one group that is annoying or insulting, and I am frankly offended that you would blame one group for this.

Honestly, you had absolutely no need to even blame anyone. I can't think of a single good reason for adding those comments, and I sincerely hope you remove them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 06:39 AM
The post prior to this notwithstanding, I have a son who is 10 years old - he doesn't actually play STO (yet - has watched me a few times and is interested) but I'd have serious reservations about exposing him to that sort of behaviour.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Turning off zone chat greatly increases ones own happiness and general mindfulness when letting children play the game.
I truly despise the word mindfulness. Horrible collection of letters.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 06:48 AM
I'd honestly suggest you set up his chat channel so that zone chat is disabled. All MMO's have this problem; F2P just makes it so there are no real repercussions. At least if people paid to play they could lose something if they got banned.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 09:00 AM
You must have never heard of the Greater Internet ****wad Theory. It's why I never listen to local/zone chat in MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Turning off zone chat greatly increases ones own happiness and general mindfulness when letting children play the game.
I truly despise the word mindfulness. Horrible collection of letters.
^^This^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
I'd honestly suggest you set up his chat channel so that zone chat is disabled. All MMO's have this problem; F2P just makes it so there are no real repercussions. At least if people paid to play they could lose something if they got banned.
Might also make sure the filter is turned on
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
I take offense to this. I can't think of a single good reason for adding those comments, and I sincerely hope you remove them.
Yep agree on this one to Maybe not for the same reasons I do however think you could go back and *Edit* the OP just a bit.

* Oh I left Zone chat some time ago lol as yes I was just tired of the bs