Lt. Commander
I just checked out 5-6 different analytics sites. While they each have unique estimates for STO's site traffic, I'm noticing a trend with all of them.

Site traffic improved by around 200-300% around Free to Play launch and continued to spike into early February.

But it's been declining since then. Sharply.

The site appears to have lost at least 50% of its gains since F2P and some estimates are showing the site it is no more popular than it was in late December, with numbers still falling.

You can't really go with the hard numbers from these sites but they do show trends and the trend lines have points that are similar.

And one thing I am seeing is that the first part of Featured Episodes seem to trigger big spikes (maybe as much as a 50% boost in active users) but that the returns dwindle before an FE series is even over. And it also looks like the spikes from FEs dwindle down to nothing after about 5-6 months without any.

I wonder if this ties into the uncertainty about FEs and new trend towards standalone releases like the Friday the 13th episode.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it is working as intended but my geuss is it works...

I am quite confident that the Grab Bags have earned plenty of money, and will continue up to a certain point, but as with everything, at some point its gonna reach it's saturation point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Spike for FE was to be expected. First new content in a year. Nothing since FE to really keep people around though. They will probably say, financially speaking, that they are doing fine with F2P because of people's irresistible urges to waste loads of money on the stupid lock box lottery gimmicks. It will never happen, but I would laugh my tail off if every single player quit purchasing master keys and supporting lock boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting, I'd be curious to see those stats, if you can pm them, that would be wonderful, or give me a clue as to 1 how to find them and 2 read them, i'd like to educate myself on this.

I'm actually not surprised by this decline, if it is in fact, true. The game is still suffering from many problems it has had since launch. An under developed faction, lack of content, restrictive and illogical design for one of the main "players" in the game (ship tiers) plus many other things. All of those will lead folks to abandon the game. They will also come back to see the new content (amazing how that works, build it, they come) but once again, the over lying issues will crop up and the enthusiasm, will go away.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I wonder if this ties into the uncertainty about FEs and new trend towards standalone releases like the Friday the 13th episode.
If there's a healthy spike at the start of a new FE, then wouldn't the reasonable goal be to start offering that kind of content far more consistently?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
If there's a healthy spike at the start of a new FE, then wouldn't the reasonable goal be to start offering that kind of content far more consistently?
hmm lets see,make new content, folks come, play new content. Makes sense to me, I say we try an experiment Cryptic, lets make 2 more KDF only missions, and see what happens? I bet they get played.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Yes, FTP is working. The lockbox thing, however... It soured a lot of the new players. Too gimmicky. People will keep coming back but getting them to spend money when they're here needs to be re-evaluated. They need a value-added service not just lotto boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
Interesting, I'd be curious to see those stats, if you can pm them, that would be wonderful, or give me a clue as to 1 how to find them and 2 read them, i'd like to educate myself on this.

I'm actually not surprised by this decline, if it is in fact, true. The game is still suffering from many problems it has had since launch. An under developed faction, lack of content, restrictive and illogical design for one of the main "players" in the game (ship tiers) plus many other things. All of those will lead folks to abandon the game. They will also come back to see the new content (amazing how that works, build it, they come) but once again, the over lying issues will crop up and the enthusiasm, will go away.
I looked at Trafficestimate.com, Mydnstats.com, Google Adplanner.com, Alexa.com, Compete.com, and Quantcast.com.

You can't trust the exact numbers from any of them. I'm just looking at the similarities in their trend lines.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
But....but the FEs are free. We canīt have that. Everyone can play them for...free. No money, no cookies. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
But....but the FEs are free. We canīt have that. Everyone can play them for...free. No money, no cookies. :p
Yeah. That would definitely seem to be an impact factor on their development team.

The weird thing is, they could easily tack (and have) new microtransaction goodies directly into the FEs.

All those new shinies need new missions to be used in. It's such a basic concept, but after reading 2 years of commentary from the Orange Names I get the feeling they don't understand how games work (thinking especially of Gozer here).