Lt. Commander
# 11
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Yes please! This is what I was asking too. I can't find the excelsior in the linked image. It must be the USS Waldo or something.
It's the big ship in the drydock, on the left side of the screen. It's got blue on it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...FleetYards.jpg

This is from 2371, a new Excelsior, or a refit of an older one is going on.

I'm on the whole "this ship should be tier 5", vs the "this ship is over 100 years old!" argument. Just saw this and thought it was cool.
I'd just chalk it up to using existing assets for a background shot. Star Trek is notorious for reusing assets (reusing the old Excelsior model for Star Trek Generations, kitbashing, etc.) to keep the budget down.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nONLY_DRock
Maybe it's a new production Excelsior. Maybe it's in drydock for repairs. Inconclusive.
Actually... look closely...

You can see that part of the "left?" side of the saucer is missing, but not like the Enterprise E when it was undergoing repairs in Nemesis, more Complete... This would indeed indicate direct construction rather than repairs...

Also... Seriously... Some of you can't see the excelsior? w00t?
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post

You can see that part of the "left?" side of the saucer is missing, but not like the Enterprise E when it was undergoing repairs in Nemesis, more Complete... This would indeed indicate direct construction rather than repairs...

Also... Seriously... Some of you can't see the excelsior? w00t?

It lends some weight to your theory. However, I could conclude also that the ship uses modular construction. This would allow even entire sections to be swapped out and easily replaced.

So say a ship does get a huge chunk torn out of it. Ok, remove the damaged section blocks, put in new section blocks. Easy. :-)

So I say it's still up in the air as to whether or not that Excelsior you see is a brand new ship or a previously produced ship that is just getting repaired.

And we'll probably never know until some insider at Paramount actually confirms the Excelsior's production life.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
I'd just chalk it up to using existing assets for a background shot. Star Trek is notorious for reusing assets (reusing the old Excelsior model for Star Trek Generations, kitbashing, etc.) to keep the budget down.
correct. the real reason you see them in later series episodes is entirely due to budget constraints, which require the use of pre-existing assets to save time and money required for making new ones.

realistically, neither the miranda, nor the constitution, nor the excelsior, nor most of the other old ships would actually be still in production for centuries at a time. they would be replaced as new design, construction and technological improvements are made that result in better ships.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nONLY_DRock
...And we'll probably never know until some insider at Paramount actually confirms the Excelsior's production life.
Wich we never will...

But you have to admit: It seems more believable that they were still build at the time pre-dominion wars than it did before.

Cryptic should have let this game happen 10 years after nemesis, rather than 40... Then we could have avoided all theese talks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
correct. the real reason you see them in later series episodes is entirely due to budget constraints, which require the use of pre-existing assets to save time and money required for making new ones.

realistically, neither the miranda, nor the constitution, nor the excelsior, nor most of the other old ships would actually be still in production for centuries at a time. they would be replaced as new design, construction and technological improvements are made that result in better ships.
You're probably correct on this, but watching Trek episodes and seeing Excelsior Class ships always around in support always makes me smile
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Eh, its probably in getting a new hip or a pacemaker adjustment.

(Said after having just bought one on sale. Probably older than anyone aboard though, Vulcans included)
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post

I think more importantly, it shows that this was actually created FOR this shot - it's not a preexisting model tossed in for filler, but has the air of an intentional inclusion, since the class wasn't otherwise shown in a state of advanced disassembly.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Given that the US government routinely plans for individual hulls to be in service in excess of fifty years (e.g. the Nimitz and Ford class aircraft carriers), and that the 1950s-era B-52 bombers are expected to remain in service until 2040 (a service lifetime of over 85 years), I do not find a 100-year lifespan so unbelievable, assuming that the systems get regularly upgrades (e.g. the 2409 Excelsiors will have post-TNG-era warp cores, sensors, phasers, etc.).