Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Part of the problem (here and also in City of Heroes, which uses a similar system) is that people may honestly believe that a "good but not great" mission deserves three or four stars, but not five, and rate accordingly... not understanding that the rating system is set up (badly, IMO) in such a way that anything less than five stars is effectively a negative vote, dragging the score down.

It's been suggested many times that the CoH version switch to some other system, such as a simple tally of Likes and Dislikes, thumbs up and thumbs down.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
yes, a fair bit.

i swear someone once said awesome mission and gave me one star. explain that one.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
yes, a fair bit.

i swear someone once said awesome mission and gave me one star. explain that one.
Haha!

I honestly just saw a new mission with two back to back reviews - "Couldn't start!" and (I think) "terrible" both...5 stars...explain those to me!

Yes, something should be done to 'wake up' the folks leaving ratings.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Let's just leave the default setting on ***** stars.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Ugh. I just got 3 stars on my mission. The commenter complained there were too many loose ends, but the mission description states clearly that this is a teaser for a 4 part mission series.

UGHHH! Read the mission description!
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Well I usually give a 4 star to a good mission and a 5 star to an outstanding mission. I have never given below a 3 star rating unless the mission is so badly built that it's practically unplayable. If a mission does not give info on where to start I usually give a 1 star and say it doesn't mention where to start. Then I check about a week later and if it's fixed I will play it again and revise my rating and comments accordingly. Hard to rate a mission if I am unable to play it. If you try to make a decent story and put effort into it, I will usually give a 4 or 5 star rating. Feel free to PM me if you wish to have me test your mission, I enjoy foundry missions, even long ones. Also I'm a bit forgiving in typos but will mention it in my review that they exist....
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Part of the problem (here and also in City of Heroes, which uses a similar system) is that people may honestly believe that a "good but not great" mission deserves three or four stars, but not five, and rate accordingly... not understanding that the rating system is set up (badly, IMO) in such a way that anything less than five stars is effectively a negative vote, dragging the score down.

It's been suggested many times that the CoH version switch to some other system, such as a simple tally of Likes and Dislikes, thumbs up and thumbs down.
If 'good' rates 5 stars, then the truly great gets buried. Either ratings are honest, or they might as well not have ratings at all.

I realize how frustrating it is to have your creations buried. Welcome to publishing. There is a lot of competition, and everyone can't be at the top, or even successful. Talented artists are left undiscovered all the time. Even when they get their chance, an off day or some marketer's ideas of what's trendy, or simple bad luck and the talent again gets buried.

Perhaps it would help if missions could be sorted by writer, by each writer's average rating and clicking on the writer's name lists their creations? That might narrow down the list to allow more names in the top list.....
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Just default have no value set on the stars and a math statment, that dosen't include empty values for total rating.

Should'n be a big problem for them to make. Then again...