Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey everyone,

I have been gone from STO for a while now, but upon returning and patching up, the game is so horribly laggy and jerky now that the game is basically unplayable. I have bottomed out every setting to try and get a smoother play, but it didn't really help. I've updated my NVidia drivers, cleaned out my laptop (2007 Dell Inspiron 1720), and I have even tried things like Game Boost 3, but nothing has helped. My stats are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JON-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 1720
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A02, 2007/07/20
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale Japan
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Jon-PC\Jon
Time Zone Tokyo Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.04 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.27 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.35 GB
Page File Space 4.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I know I'm not running STO on a really suped-up machine, but I never had problems until now. Can anyone give me any good advice to help STO run better on my laptop? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, everyone! I hope to be able to join you all, soon!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Have you tried...
  • Dropping the Video Screen Resolution...
  • Enabling the Video Half Resolution...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I have put the game on the lowest resolution possible - 800 x something. It didn't help much, unfortunately.
Would you happen to be talking about lowering my monitor resolution before playing the game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Maybe it's a connection problem as opposed to a graphics intensity problem, especially if you didn't have this problem in the past.

Try switching to the US proxy via the options button at the top of the game launcher (the window that pops up before launching STO from yor desktop). Many people, including myself, have reported increased connection stability when connecting through the proxy.

Give it a try
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbre View Post
I have put the game on the lowest resolution possible - 800 x something. It didn't help much, unfortunately.
Would you happen to be talking about lowering my monitor resolution before playing the game?
In your Options menu, under the Video Tab, there is a check box for 'Half Resolution'

You should also check to make sure the graphic settings are set for DX9 and not DX11
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone - thank you for the responses - I will try both of these suggestions.

BTW, how do I check to make sure my graphics are set for DX 9 and not 11?

Thank you, and I will update after trying these.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2012, 04:25 AM
I tried using the US proxy and I tried to look for a checkbox saying "half resolution" in the options menu under video, but couldn't find one.
I think the US proxy helped a bit, but it could just be my imagination. Thank you both for your suggestions, though - I'll try anything. I miss STO.

What I did notice is that when, for example, I'm on DS9 on the Promenade (where there's lots of people), it's really, really slow and jerky. But when I go to "Ops" there, and there aren't that many people, it's very smooth and not-jerky.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm reaching the end of my rope.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbre View Post
I tried using the US proxy and I tried to look for a checkbox saying "half resolution" in the options menu under video, but couldn't find one.
I think the US proxy helped a bit, but it could just be my imagination. Thank you both for your suggestions, though - I'll try anything. I miss STO.

What I did notice is that when, for example, I'm on DS9 on the Promenade (where there's lots of people), it's really, really slow and jerky. But when I go to "Ops" there, and there aren't that many people, it's very smooth and not-jerky.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm reaching the end of my rope.
If you go to Video, find the Troubleshooting tab at the bottom of the window. Hit and scroll down. There are many options that can and should help with stabilizing a higher FPS. Also, the Half Resolution tab is right above the line that controls game something. Sorry, can't remember off the top of my head, but it's the last option before it moves to graphical options.

I also check my graphics card and turned off Anti Aliasing on the game, so my GFU is controlling it. Now, it can be a resource hog so if it slows down more, just urn it off. The game might not look at great, but it will run much better.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=73564 Try this link as well. This person helped me out tremendously when I first started 4 months ago.

Hope this helps. Live long and Prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-14-2012, 04:51 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Nothing has really helped that much - I hope I find the problem so I can join all of you.

If anyone else has any suggestions or from looking at my specs thinks they know the problem, please post it here!

Thanks, everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I have the same problem, before last patch everything was running smoothly, now I have hickups no matter what graphical options are set.

Ok, lags gone, I changed DX9 to DX11.
Tested. Changed to DX11 restarted game, no more lags, reverted to DX9 restarted game lags back.