Lt. Commander
# 41
04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
Wasn't voyager CGI at this point? Before they had to use models and kit bashing, but I remember they made a big deal that Voyager was all CGI. If it was CGI then it was a definitive choice to include the Excelsior, and not just a reuse of a model.

I really don't have issue with it still in service. All the tech manuals state the ships were able to upgrade easily. Doesn't the Galaxy have a bridge that can be swapped out easily as it is a module? Which explains the differences in the TNG enterprise bridge versus the Generations enterprise bridge.
I would expect they'd still need something to base any CGI model on, and it would still be easier to take an existing ship then to create a new one. Also, it may not just be about re-using anything - but also to showing the audience something familiar. I suppose we can be lucky they didn't put a Constitution Refit in anywhere. (That may be for the same reason DS9 and VOY never had the Sovereign - it's the movie "hero" ship and they want to keep it "special")
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
from what i see in that picture, the wireframe construction of a sovereign class. left to right: Akira, Nebula, Galaxy, Excelsior couple of others due to poor picture quality (i hate jpgs, but probably galaxy class ships), galaxy class, akira and saber.

its not proof of anything the excelsior in drydock, could just be routine maintence or an upgrade to the ships system which could be too extensive outside of a drydock.
This made me curious, so I tossed on the episode on... It's in fact a Galaxy or a nebula (same saucer).

I actually don't belive Utopia was repairing ships... Only RnD and new construction. Repairs would usually be done at the SF shipyard at earth (as seen in "Family" where the Enterprise is docked at McKinley, or Nemesis with the Enterprise E at a "regular" drydock).

Could be wrong though.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
This made me curious, so I tossed on the episode on... It's in fact a Galaxy or a nebula (same saucer).

I actually don't belive Utopia was repairing ships... Only RnD and new construction. Repairs would usually be done at the SF shipyard at earth (as seen in "Family" where the Enterprise is docked at McKinley, or Nemesis with the Enterprise E at a "regular" drydock).

Could be wrong though.
That is consistant with what UPS was used for. But we don't know what the war did to them, UPS may very well have been put into use repairing ships. But yes, normally UPS just constructs new ships.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
That is consistant with what UPS was used for. But we don't know what the war did to them, UPS may very well have been put into use repairing ships. But yes, normally UPS just constructs new ships.
Except, Voyager was launched in 2371, before the dominion wars (2373), and hence at least 1 year before the Klingon war (2372).

So at this point, the Federation was at relative peace, and would not yet have adjusted their UPS.

However, notice that Starfleet was already bolstering their forces... there are at least 2 Sabers and 2 Akiras being build, along with at least 3 Galaxies (as I said...rewatched that scene).

Edit: AND, in the next cut, there is in fact a second Excelsior...

Edit 2: AND a 3'd in a shot from Janeways ready room...
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Except, Voyager was launched in 2371, before the dominion wars (2373), and hence at least 1 year before the Klingon war (2372).

So at this point, the Federation was at relative peace, and would not yet have adjusted their UPS.

However, notice that Starfleet was already bolstering their forces... there are at least 2 Sabers and 2 Akiras being build, along with at least 3 Galaxies (as I said...rewatched that scene).

Edit: AND, in the next cut, there is in fact a second Excelsior...

Edit 2: AND a 3'd in a shot from Janeways ready room...
Boy I feel like an Idiot, I even said it was 2371 in my op. I retract my previous statement... UPS would only be used for construction at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I would expect they'd still need something to base any CGI model on, and it would still be easier to take an existing ship then to create a new one. Also, it may not just be about re-using anything - but also to showing the audience something familiar. I suppose we can be lucky they didn't put a Constitution Refit in anywhere. (That may be for the same reason DS9 and VOY never had the Sovereign - it's the movie "hero" ship and they want to keep it "special")
Yes there was a physical model also.

Here is a page with amazing high quality images of the Voyager CGI model, by Dough Drexler.
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/...cgi-pictorial/
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
Boy I feel like an Idiot, I even said it was 2371 in my op. I retract my previous statement... UPS would only be used for construction at this point.
No worries... we all get caught up in this sometimes...
Lt. Commander
# 48
04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Relative Peace - Wolf 359 might still be in the memory of them at that point. And I believe the Dominion's existence was already know at that point, wasn't it?

The Sacrifice of Angels episode had a surprising number of Galaxies, considering that at the times of TNG, there were supposedly only 6 build. I suppose that Wolf 359 required at least rebuilding the 39 lost ships, but probably also adding more ships.

In-Game, one has to wonder whether they build those ships in hope that more ships could destroy a Cube, or to evacuate colonies before they're overrun by Borg? [/in-universe talk]
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Relative Peace - Wolf 359 might still be in the memory of them at that point. And I believe the Dominion's existence was already know at that point, wasn't it?

The Sacrifice of Angels episode had a surprising number of Galaxies, considering that at the times of TNG, there were supposedly only 6 build. I suppose that Wolf 359 required at least rebuilding the 39 lost ships, but probably also adding more ships.

In-Game, one has to wonder whether they build those ships in hope that more ships could destroy a Cube, or to evacuate colonies before they're overrun by Borg? [/in-universe talk]
At the time of Voyagers launch the Borg had become a less urgent issue (the Defiant project was shelfed because of this), and the Dominion was not considered to be a major threat at the time (we know, cause a fleet wasn't stationed at or near DS9 at all times), so while yea: Both were absolutely a concern for starfleet, but not exactly enough to make them fortify their position apart from upgrading a mining station.

Lots of the ships build in that period was designed as a direct result of the Borg.

- Defiant
- Saber
- Akira
- Norway
- Steamrunner
- Sovereign

All ships that were designed and build after the Borg attack, designed to counter them first. Smaller, cheaper and with less crew to allow for a fleet with more ships wich is cheaper to build, without sacrificing the Federations dream of exploring and expanding understanding of knowledge. (Admittedly both the Defiant and Saber are less focused on exploration, and more on tactical assignments).

That however also means that UPS would have their hands full with all those projects and is even less likely to have had the time for repairs.

Well already at "favor the bold" there were "Galaxy wings". I doubt thoose were one or two Galaxy classes only... more like 5 - 10 a wing, so 6 seems very low.
Lt. Commander
# 50
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
So here's a question ... we all watched the shows and knew the Excelsior was still in service.

But what in that screenshot indicates that the Excelsior is a Tier 5 ship? As powerful as such other T5 ships as the Imperial and/or the Nomad?