Lt. Commander
Last night, I worked on my Foundry mission for at least an hour. I finished an entire map with several dialogues, encounters, and other things (including my very own map encryption system ). I tested several times. So, "What happened?", you may ask.

When I went on to continue working, and created another map - based on... Oh, never mind, I forgot what it was based on, but it was a Federation interior. And it crashed the game. Worse yet, since I wasn't used to manually saving my stuff as most of the editors I've previously used regularly autosaved (every # minutes, as well as a separate instance of the map/mission/whatever file saved in a separate folder during testing).

So, I ask, why can't Foundry users have the same function? Why do we have to either pause during our creative outbursts to save our work or lose it all? WHY?????????
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Umm...well, there is an autosave. I hate to think how much work I'd have lost if it weren't for that feature.

Whenever you preview a map it autosaves first, and also it autosaves every so often. I don't know why your mission wasn't saved properly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Yeah, when you loaded after the crash, it should have told you "there is an autosave that is newer than your most recent save file." Very strange if it didn't say that.

Part of this issue, I think, is that the Foundry doesn't tell you when it autosaves, ever.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Keep hitting that save button after anything you do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostzephyr
Yeah, when you loaded after the crash, it should have told you "there is an autosave that is newer than your most recent save file." Very strange if it didn't say that.

Part of this issue, I think, is that the Foundry doesn't tell you when it autosaves, ever.
Yes, so I noticed upon starting up the Foundry. Thanks for replying anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80
Keep hitting that save button after anything you do.
Except I'm not used to doing that, because all my previous editors autosaved when I inevitably tested the stuff. Besides, as pointed out by Nagorak and Frostzephyr, it's not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostzephyr (Requote)
Which is totally wrong, because I was extremely frustrated to see an hour's work fade away (so yeah, it was countered by the positive surprise of having the work restored when I returned the next morning, but still...)
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn

Except I'm not used to doing that, because all my previous editors autosaved when I inevitably tested the stuff. Besides, as pointed out by Nagorak and Frostzephyr, it's not necessary.

I'm assuming that you are new to working with computers.
If you have ever done any kind of regular work on a on a computer, you know that regularly saving your work is a good practice. If you aren't "used to it"...get "used to it". Proper preparation prevents pitiful poor performance, and good work habits will save your bacon more often times than you will care to count.

Always save your work.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Also keyboard shortcuts that work in most major word processors also work in the Foundry so as I recall cntrl S will initiate a save, its almost second habit for me that I muscle memory it without thinking anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
I'm assuming that you are new to working with computers.
If you have ever done any kind of regular work on a on a computer, you know that regularly saving your work is a good practice. If you aren't "used to it"...get "used to it". Proper preparation prevents pitiful poor performance, and good work habits will save your bacon more often times than you will care to count.

Always save your work.
New to working with computers? I've modded at least half a dozen games (ok, so i'm an amateur, but it has nothing to do with losing work to crashes :p) and had a computer since I was 5! (or younger... but i started speaking english since i was 5, and that's related.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
My apologies, I certainly meant no offense. I hope none was taken.
It's just standard proceedure nearly everywhere (that I am aware of, at least in the workplace) to regularly save your work. There are many things that can cause you to lose data besides software, power outages, and a million other reasons a computer can go sideways on you. I've been working with computers since 1977, and I cannot recall a time when "Always Save Your Work" wasn't some sort of mantra.

It's just a good work habit.

be well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-12-2012, 03:06 PM
"Save early, save often" is indeed a fairly universal mantra, probably derived from a military "attack early, attack often" mantra, or an election-rigging "vote early, vote often" joke.

Of course many of us diligently follow it most of the time, but it's always that time you forgot to save that it ends up biting you in the butt. I work with Adobe InDesign for my job, which doesn't really have an autosave (at least not the version that I have) and I've lost a page or two because I wasn't being diligent about saving every few minutes. I usually have cntrl-s as part of an almost-automatic part of every major alteration to a page, but the one time I don't is when it crashes on me.

Thankfully the Foundry has autosave, which has saved my bacon on any number of occasions.