Lt. Commander
# 1 Explosions As An Event?
04-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I've been trying to trigger an FX space explosion as an event in my "Question of Faith" mission in order to simulate the destruction of an alien base. I've been banging away at this thing for a week with no success. I've tried to trigger it by making it visible using conversation nodes, objective complete, objective in progress, component complete... nothing works. I've had limited success in the preview client, but in the game client the explosion never even occurs. Can this even be done? Am I wasting my time?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do? The explosion should work, unless it's been broken again.

Is it possible you're simply too far away for the explosion to be visible?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
If you play through my mission "Hollow Justice" you will see a circumstance where I use a controlled explosion at the end of the mission. You can play through it and see if you see the explosion at the end.

If you don't, create a new mission and do the following:
Create a new ground map
Place an Invisible Block 1000FT dead center of the spawn point.
Place an FX Explosion right in front of the spawn point.
On the story window, set an "Interact with object" and set it to interact with the invisible object.
Go to the FX and tell it to appear when "Objective Complete" and select the interact as the object.
Play map.

If you DO NOT see the explosion, you may have a video card issue or video setting issue.

Otherwise, most likely, it is something so facepalmingly dumb you will be back here in a little literally telling us how stupid you feel for making such a mistake. It has happened to us all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
That's exactly how I set it up. I tried to do it much more elaborately before, but now I've dumbed it down to simply change state to visible when component is complete, in this case an invisible object with a trigger of "Scan Base".

Sometimes the explosion appears after a LONG delay once I've moved on to the next objective, sometimes it does not appear at all.

Also of note... there is a plot dialog after the "Scan Base" component that's just not firing. Has anyone had/solved this problem before?

Is it maybe a Line of Sight issue with the invisible object blocking the explosion? Maybe I'll try that next. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Aha! You pegged it, Nagorak. I'm trying to trigger it from too far away. It's not even a matter of it being visible. It won't trigger unless you're almost on top of it. Still... I can make this work. THANKS!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Aha! You pegged it, Nagorak. I'm trying to trigger it from too far away. It's not even a matter of it being visible. It won't trigger unless you're almost on top of it. Still... I can make this work. THANKS!
That's odd. I've set explosives off across the screen before.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Ugh, I wish. That was what I wanted at first. I wanted the players to scan an alien base when it suddenly explodes. I just wanted a distant explosion on the planet "surface" kilometers below. Unfortunately the space explosion detail doesn't work like that. Or should I say... doesn't work like that any more.

I've set up a test map and done extensive testing on all 5 or 6 of the "FX Space Explosion" details. Here's the skinny;

A space explosion is basically an invisible object detail with an animation attached. You can use the state tab to declare it as visible at any time, just like any other detail. But setting an invisible object as visible creates no visible object. In order for the object to become visible the animation has to fire, and the animation won't fire until a player passes within about 4.3 kilometers from it.

All you foundry vets just face-palmed, but for my fellow noobs let me explain why this is seriously problematic.

What this means is that under most circumstances you can't trigger a space explosion using "component complete" state.

The hard coded interaction distance for objects on the space map is like 6.5 km. If a player gets into "scanner range" and stops, say 6km away from where the explosion is supposed to be, and interacts with the triggering component the "FX Space Explosion" will become "visible", BUT THE ANIMATION WON'T FIRE.

This means if you want to trigger space explosions you have to make sure the player is 4km or less away from where the blast is supposed to be centered.

One workaround might be to use invisible walls to block the players from triggering the object until they are in range, but this is a flawed solution. The players could, for example, move close enough the object to "hide" the invisible walls, but by choice or momentum move back out of range of the animation before interacting with the trigger.

Triggering explosions using dialogs is even more problematic. It's very difficult to control the exact position of a player on a space map when a dialog fires.

Really the only way to fire a blast as part of a story is to use placemarkers, either directly or as a part of plot completion/in progress.