Lt. Commander
# 481
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil70th
I figured it was and I like the player’s response.
Glad you liked it.
Lt. Commander
# 482
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Mission Name: Nowhere to Assimilate
Author: imathena
Minimum Level: 41+
Allegiance: Federation
ST-HTBCJEQM
Estimated Mission Length: 30-45 Minutes or less
Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post

Thank you for having this and doing this for everyone!! this is my first try at making a mission for STO, the Story/thought process I had developing for days while I debated spending the dilithium was kinda stunted not by the small and easy to overcome learning curve but the overwhelming limitations of the foundry. Aggravating is a gross understatement! lol

It's truly sad that they added they ability to split dialog, but not the story. I was overly frustrated having to have the "Split dialog" end at the same point, making it pointless... It did leave a cliff in my thought process knowing I could only do half the mission.

I did try to put a good deal of work into the half of the mission I did, I'm still debating stripping out references to the earth portion and making another mission but it's not the same to me... and the inability to create cut scenes or pilot a shuttle over the SFA map destroys half the earth portion of the mission, I guess you could go from space into the ocean but it would be nice to have at least a cut scene of a shuttle flying down over SFA, under the golden gate bridge and plunging into the ocean... OH well... lol

I got feedback saying I should research my villains and heroes more, I got my cousin to play the mission a few times and liked it, but couldn't offer any help with regards to villains and heroes being out of "Star Trek" context.

I have tried to catch as many "ruff edges" as I could and my cousin pointed out some I fixed since, there are spots like the doors on utopia plaitia that seem off to me, I tried to find locked and working doors of the same color, not happening unless the Devs added some in the last few days lol... so to me, the color change in the doors are off... but I can't have someone ask for help due to an event that was supposed to have happened "enemies beaming onto the station" if the player has already ran all over the station looking for the next part of the story and yeah... so I have to try and control the player flow and progress my locking them in the room until they talk to the guy lol

If you have time and don't mind I'd love your feedback, I want to make it an enjoyable mission and believable in Star trek context. Thank you for your time!!
Lt. Commander
# 483
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imathena
Mission Name: Nowhere to Assimilate
Author: imathena
Minimum Level: 41+
ST-HTBCJEQM
Estimated Mission Length: 30-45 Minutes or less
Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post
Thanks for the review request. You are number one in the queue. I am working on my taxes but hope to take a break either tonight or tomorrow. Then I’ll jump in and take a look.

Quote:
Thank you for having this and doing this for everyone!! this is my first try at making a mission for STO, the Story/thought process I had developing for days while I debated spending the dilithium was kinda stunted not by the small and easy to overcome learning curve but the overwhelming limitations of the foundry. Aggravating is a gross understatement! lol
As a general rule I am not cruel to authors, even if the mission maybe lacking some aspects. I try to help those folks improve their mission and the overall process. It seems unlikely to me that someone would submit a mission for my review and not be looking to make a good mission.

It is true that there are limitations to some aspects of the Foundry and they can definitely be frustrating. Still there are many authors here that have found a work around to those shortfalls within the Foundry and most are willing to help others develop good missions. The better the missions authored the richer the playing experience.

Quote:
It's truly sad that they added they ability to split dialog, but not the story. I was overly frustrated having to have the "Split dialog" end at the same point, making it pointless... It did leave a cliff in my thought process knowing I could only do half the mission.
Within a map you can spit the story by using optional tasks, triggers and dialogue within a given map. In the writing you can give alternate paths with the split dialogue despite the fact that the outcome is the same. The secret is to use that dialogue and the maps to mask the outcome until the end, which is not always an easy task.

Quote:
I did try to put a good deal of work into the half of the mission I did, I'm still debating stripping out references to the earth portion and making another mission but it's not the same to me... and the inability to create cut scenes or pilot a shuttle over the SFA map destroys half the earth portion of the mission, I guess you could go from space into the ocean but it would be nice to have at least a cut scene of a shuttle flying down over SFA, under the golden gate bridge and plunging into the ocean... OH well... lol
Perhaps someday the DEV’s will give authors the ability to do more with the mission story, effects, and other elements within the Foundry. They are always looking at new ideas. I would like to be able to develop an interior map from scratch without having to resort to a ground map that I then build my interior set on. That’s on my wish list for the Foundry. So in the mean time there are work ways to work around the limitations.

Quote:
I got feedback saying I should research my villains and heroes more, I got my cousin to play the mission a few times and liked it, but couldn't offer any help with regards to villains and heroes being out of "Star Trek" context.
You will always have people who have legitimate complaints about some element of your mission. You will also find those who are just plain mean spirited. I like to look at other reviews missions have received, assuming I’m not the first, and see what other folks think. I see many of the same people leaving negative feedback with no real point other than being a jerk. In the end, as the author, you have to decide what is valid and what story you want to tell. There will always be jerks no matter where you go. Try not to let it get you down.

Quote:
I have tried to catch as many "ruff edges" as I could and my cousin pointed out some I fixed since, there are spots like the doors on utopia plaitia that seem off to me, I tried to find locked and working doors of the same color, not happening unless the Devs added some in the last few days lol... so to me, the color change in the doors are off... but I can't have someone ask for help due to an event that was supposed to have happened "enemies beaming onto the station" if the player has already ran all over the station looking for the next part of the story and yeah... so I have to try and control the player flow and progress my locking them in the room until they talk to the guy lol
Being an author helps me see things that can be easily missed. It also helps me see things that are beyond the control of the author. You have to work with what you are given.

Quote:
If you have time and don't mind I'd love your feedback, I want to make it an enjoyable mission and believable in Star trek context. Thank you for your time!!
I will take a look as soon as I can and post right after.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 484 Review Request
04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 1
Author: G0tchas
Minimum Level: 31+
ST-HLISOKPXX

Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 2
ST-HB2J4VLKL

Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 3
ST-HIDIZ9ACJ
Lt. Commander
# 485
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0tchas View Post
Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 1
ST-HLISOKPXX

Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 2
ST-HB2J4VLKL

Mission Name: Future's Past - Past 3
ST-HIDIZ9ACJ
Thanks for the review request. Your missions are now 2 thorugh 4 in the queue behind imathena. I hope to get to his mission shortly followed by yours.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 486 Argus Array Repair Daily
04-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Brian,

Just a quick note for you to check out my new daily mission when you get a chance. I't's a short and sweet little mish thats great for the daily dilithium. Thought it would be cool to get your review take on it.

Title: Argus Array Repair Daily
By: Duke-of-Rock
Language: English
Level: Any Level
Starting Location: Wall Console outside Main Transporter Room on Earth Space Dock

Thanks again for all you do for the Foundry Community.

Craig aka: Duke-of-Rock
Lt. Commander
# 487
04-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Please review my mission, Crash Landing. Here is the banner I added to my post in the mission database:

Thank you.

Captain DeRavi.
Lt. Commander
# 488
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Rock View Post
Hi Brian,

Just a quick note for you to check out my new daily mission when you get a chance. I't's a short and sweet little mish thats great for the daily dilithium. Thought it would be cool to get your review take on it.

Title: Argus Array Repair Daily
By: Duke-of-Rock
Language: English
Level: Any Level
Starting Location: Wall Console outside Main Transporter Room on Earth Space Dock

Thanks again for all you do for the Foundry Community.

Craig aka: Duke-of-Rock
Hey Craig,

Thanks for the review request. You are 5th in the queue behind G0tchas 3 missions. I am planning on getting started on them this weekend, but it is also my birthday weekend and I am turning a half century, so as you can imagine there is a lot of partying planned for this weekend. I will get to all the missions in the queue as soon as I can. Sunday will be a good day of recovery so perhaps I can catch up then.

Thanks for authoring
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 489
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRavi
Please review my mission, Crash Landing. Here is the banner I added to my post in the mission database:

Thank you.

Captain DeRavi.
Hey Captain DeRavi,

Thanks for the review request. Is it a Federation mission? You are now 6th in the queue behind Duke-of-Rock. As I said with his I hope to get started on the queue this weekend but with it being my birthday weekend I am not sure how much I will get done. I try not to fly my starships when I’ve been drinking, at least drinking excessively, which I plan to do at least on Saturday.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 490
04-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil70th
Hey Craig,

Thanks for the review request. You are 5th in the queue behind G0tchas 3 missions. I am planning on getting started on them this weekend, but it is also my birthday weekend and I am turning a half century, so as you can imagine there is a lot of partying planned for this weekend. I will get to all the missions in the queue as soon as I can. Sunday will be a good day of recovery so perhaps I can catch up then.

Thanks for authoring
Brian
Happy Birthday!! Have LOTS of fun!!!
Closed Thread