Lt. Commander
# 1 Casualty rates
04-13-2012, 12:48 AM
What is going on with casualty rates? It seems like I am losing DOffs all over the place lately, even from things like routine psych exams.

This seems to be happening even on low risk missions. Anyone else seeing this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Yea... Stay away from thoose parties at the Vulcan embasy...

But... if you want to minimize losses, make sure you assign rare and very rare officers to assignments... they go to sickbay instead of a coffin.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2012, 03:07 AM
I just started this game last week and I've already blown through most of my officers, and yes I try to assign the best ones for the right jobs, still losing them like crazy, now I can't even create any assignments because I don't have enough officers, I'm either ganna be forced to raid the c-store very soon or blow all my ec on the auction
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightylinkist
I just started this game last week and I've already blown through most of my officers, and yes I try to assign the best ones for the right jobs, still losing them like crazy, now I can't even create any assignments because I don't have enough officers, I'm either ganna be forced to raid the c-store very soon or blow all my ec on the auction
If an uncommon one is the best, it's not good enough... If fail, they die... as simple as that.

Try to focus on doing the colonial chains found in clusters, and the Cultural exchange missions found at SFA/Klingon Academy, untill you've build up at least 2 of each officer types.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Only common doffs can die on missions with any kind of regularity.

All others uncommon, rare and very rare will only be sent to the sickbay at worst.

The only main exception to this is if the job in question explicitly states that you will lose them. This is usually written in red text on the mission description on the top right hand side of the window. Sometimes you might need to scroll down the description to see the red text in question so be wary of it.

Try reading the stickies regarding the duty officer system, will give you a decent grounding about it.

Duty Officers: A Recruitment Guide
Doffs for Doofuses

It can be a little daunting at first to learn the ins, out and other quirks of the system but it can be rewarding when you do.

Regards.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightylinkist
Personally, I will rarely start an assignment unless I can stack it to at least a 75% chance of a good outcome. When you're first starting with the Doff system and only have the initial 20-officer cadre, don't obsess over having all 20 assignment slots filled all the time - it's impossible to do without sending some Doffs to their doom. You're not going to be earning Commendation XP very quickly, but that's okay. Your goal at this point should be to fill up your Doff roster.

To do this, be sure to pick up every single recruitment assignment from the 4 Personnel Officers at Starfleet Academy. The Cultural Exchanges give you 1 Doff each, General Recruitment gives you a pack of 5 Doffs, and the departmental Cadres and Civilian Recruitment usually give 2 or 3 Doffs. They all have a long cooldown, unfortunately (1 or 2 days, I don't remember for sure), but keep checking back and run them again as soon as they're available.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
If an uncommon one is the best, it's not good enough... If fail, they die... as simple as that.

Try to focus on doing the colonial chains found in clusters, and the Cultural exchange missions found at SFA/Klingon Academy, untill you've build up at least 2 of each officer types.
Look, I really don't think you are understanding here. It isn't that they die that is concerning me. Its that they are dieing on low risk, high success % missions a lot more often than the risk suggests.

If these were 'high' or 'extreme' risk missions I would be more understanding. Furthermore, the casualty rates are a lot higher than I was seeing not that long ago.

Even to the extent they don't die, how often should they be getting injured on a low risk mission?