Lt. Commander
# 1 Optional Tasks
04-14-2012, 08:29 AM
I am in need of some help, I am creating a fairly in depth mission with multiple parts, However my problem is i am trying to create tasks the are "OPTIONAL" for example: PLAYER SHOULD TALK TO PERSON A, PERSON A SAYS ___________________, THEN PLAYER RESPONDS WITH RESPONSE A, PLAYER SHOULD PROCEED TO ACTION A, BUT IF PLAYER USES RESPONSE B THEN PLAYER SHOULD SKIP ACTION A AND CONTINUE TO ACTION C. Is this possible and if so how.

Sorry if this is a little complicated to understand but i hope someone can help
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthsteal
I am in need of some help, I am creating a fairly in depth mission with multiple parts, However my problem is i am trying to create tasks the are "OPTIONAL" for example: PLAYER SHOULD TALK TO PERSON A, PERSON A SAYS ___________________, THEN PLAYER RESPONDS WITH RESPONSE A, PLAYER SHOULD PROCEED TO ACTION A, BUT IF PLAYER USES RESPONSE B THEN PLAYER SHOULD SKIP ACTION A AND CONTINUE TO ACTION C. Is this possible and if so how.

Sorry if this is a little complicated to understand but i hope someone can help
If I understand it, most of this can be done, if you ignore what you put in the story boards. Let me see if I can explain. Both paths will have to have a common objective to complete the mission, since you can't do branching objectives.

But, let's say to have a contact with it's default text dialogue (click has default text). The npc can say, what do you want to drink? Option 1: Rootbeer Option 2: Bloodwine.

Set rootbear to become visible with dialogue prompt reached. Set likewise for bloodwine

Or, they could choose which enemies to fight.

All of this is optional stuff that you put on the map using triggers and popup dialogues (those blue bubbles on the map). If any of it is in the storyboard, then it has to be done and there is no choice.

Much of this stuff is also explained in parts 4-8 of my triggers tutorials here.

For additional questions, you can get real time help from foundry authors in our chat room.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
If I understand it, most of this can be done, if you ignore what you put in the story boards.
ok that is my problem then i was trying to do it in the story board i will try using map triggers and see if tat helps ty