Lt. Commander
I get a BSoD when I launch STO. I get it on the black screen with the Cryptic Logo at about 1/3 loaded. I get a an error on the BSoD saying its failed to initialize video driver timed out or something like that. I only get this once in a while and when it does happen its while loading STO.

I am not sure whats causing it. I am running all the latest drivers for my system and video cards. Before I go more in to depth on my system specs, I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.

For basic info:
  • 2 Nvidia GTX 460 (NON-SLI Mode)
  • Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Processor 2.66 GHz
  • 4 GB 1066 Mhz Memory
  • 680i SLI EVGA Motherboard
  • Dual Monitor setup
  • Windows 7 SP1

I also have been having problems booting. It just stops after the windows 7 logo and the screens go black. When I reboot, its says windows has failed to start. Run repair wizzard. When I have ran the repair wizard it says it can't find anything wrong. I can also just reboot without running the repair wizard and its loads just fine...
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I guess this must be unrelated to STO then... Thanks anyways...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Sounds like your video card may be loose, try reseating it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I've found that sometimes the latest driver isn't necessarily the best driver, I have an ATI 5570, I try to keep the drivers up to date as a matter of routine, but with the most recent driver I noticed strange pixilated artifacts on screen where gaseous effects would normally be when playing STO, I rolled back the driver to the previous version and the game plays beautifully.
My point being if you are running the latest driver and are having problems, you might want to try using an older driver and see if it improves anything.

What you are describing sounds like some kind of a memory error, since it also interferes with windows itself loading, Windows does have a memory diagnostic program that you can run to check your ram, but as the previous poster suggested you may want to open up the machine with the power disconnected and re-seat your video card(s) and ram.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom61 View Post
Sounds like your video card may be loose, try reseating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor
I've found that sometimes the latest driver isn't necessarily the best driver, I have an ATI 5570, I try to keep the drivers up to date as a matter of routine, but with the most recent driver I noticed strange pixilated artifacts on screen where gaseous effects would normally be when playing STO, I rolled back the driver to the previous version and the game plays beautifully.
My point being if you are running the latest driver and are having problems, you might want to try using an older driver and see if it improves anything.

What you are describing sounds like some kind of a memory error, since it also interferes with windows itself loading, Windows does have a memory diagnostic program that you can run to check your ram, but as the previous poster suggested you may want to open up the machine with the power disconnected and re-seat your video card(s) and ram.
I will try this, thanks!