Lt. Commander
Hi all i was hust thinking that we need a new feature episode series that has to do with the Ferengi. It would go something like this... Ferenginar has had a lot of reforms in the last 3 decades thanks to Grand Nagus Rom he is now requesting to open talks for the possibility of the Ferengi Alliance joining the Federation. But as always somebody does not like this idea as it would give the Federation a decisive advandage against its enemies. The series COULD have different missions for the Klingons and the Federation as having that much acess to extra resources is sure to **** of the Klingons so both factions would be fighting each other in this featured series. Also at the end Ferengi WOULD join the federation and the FED's would have C-store (or other ways) access to Ferengi ships. After all the KDF get to use Klingon, Gorn, Orion AND Nausican ships! we just have a vulcan cruiser to switch things up for us. Tell me what yall think!

Samuel Out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
The Ferengi will never join the Federation as long as they are interested in trade and their profits. Think about it, if they join the Federation they´d have to abide by it´s rules and regulations. It also makes them a target for Federation enemies. They have far greater freedom and trade opportunites as a neutral faction.
Lt. Commander
# 3 True
04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
True but your forgetting all of the reforms that Ferenginar and Grand Nagus Rom enacted at the end of DS9 (after all Rom was a different kind of Ferengi) which drastically altered their cuture. Making it more compatible with the Federation. And as for the defense issue, being part of the Federation helps ensure their protection not to mention many lucrative military contracts with Starfleet. I didn't say i had all the kinks worked out i just gave an idea to the DEV's. By the way i hate the ****ing lock boxes.

Sincerely Kronos1996809
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos1996
True but your forgetting all of the reforms that Ferenginar and Grand Nagus Rom enacted at the end of DS9 (after all Rom was a different kind of Ferengi) which drastically altered their cuture. Making it more compatible with the Federation. And as for the defense issue, being part of the Federation helps ensure their protection not to mention many lucrative military contracts with Starfleet. I didn't say i had all the kinks worked out i just gave an idea to the DEV's. By the way i hate the ****ing lock boxes.

Sincerely Kronos1996809
His reforms are drastic, but Rom is still very much a Ferengi. His humanitarian aid agreement with Cardassia turned into the single most profitable contract any Ferengi ever signed, and is something he's have to give up joining the Federation. Even his public education system was a future profit venture. They do have lucrative contracts with Starfleet (which would cease to be profitable upon membership), but also the KDF, often from the same facilities (Drozana, the Alhena deuterium station). We also know from various missions that they're working with the Nausicaans, and enslaving Romulan colonies that have been forgotten by the remains of the Empire.

They're playing every side in this game, actively and profitably. As long as they remain neutral, the Prime Directive keeps the Federation from interfering, and as long as they remain disarmed the Federation isn't likely to bend that rule the way they regularly do with the Romulans. Their remoteness from the KDF shelters them. And for both sides, because of the mutual reliance on Ferengi contracts, the military advantages and disadvantages of intervening cancel out.

Which makes them poorly suited as members of either faction, but does make them viable as an FE enemy, if a situation arises that justifies both factions intervening.