Lt. Commander
# 11
01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
If you can't sell/dismiss them for dilithium, then why do they list a value in dilithium?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
I should note there have been some internal discussions about tweaking the dismissal mechanic (not the reward, specifically). There is concern that it's not very clear to players what happens and why. No timeline at the moment on when any changes might happen, though.
I'd like to keep this thread/topic from rotting into a zombie, and since it's been a couple months since any reply, I was hoping there's been an update... (???)

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
No updates on this. Still under discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
No updates on this. Still under discussion.
Thank you for the reply.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
My idea would be that instead of dismissing the boffs you could instead turn them into doffs based off the quality (color) of the boff your transfering so to speak. That way you are reallocating them into a usable position instead of getting rid. No dilithium to convert tho please.. This could be way instead of a doff assignment i.e "transfer of boff to doff" assignment maybe or a retraining vendor for credits or perhaps GPL as cryptic wants more sinks for that currency yes? Or something to this effect.

I would be most eager to hear your thoughts Heretic.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
My idea would be that instead of dismissing the boffs you could instead turn them into doffs based off the quality (color) of the boff your transfering so to speak...
Oh! I like this idea.

Hmm... How would you determine specialization? Unless you just sort of submit Rare Eng BO to the assigment you referred to and X-time later >poof< you're rewarded with a random Rare Quality Engineering Department DOff (Specialization and Traits randomly determined).

That would be cool.

Then we could dismiss them like any other DOff. Heh.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Oh! I like this idea.

Hmm... How would you determine specialization? Unless you just sort of submit Rare Eng BO to the assigment you referred to and X-time later >poof< you're rewarded with a random Rare Quality Engineering Department DOff (Specialization and Traits randomly determined).

That would be cool.

Then we could dismiss them like any other DOff. Heh.
The "problem" with that is it would upvalue BOFFs significantly, especially if you could get a very rare DOFF. I personally dont see a problem with that myself, but I can see from a game design perspective how it could be considered problematic.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
My thought is that, realistically, if you have a BOFF that's been a Commander for a while, fully trained in everything you like, at some point, they're going to get their own command. I realize there are ST people like Riker, content to wait on a specific ship, but during wartime, most of these officers are getting ships whether they want them or not.

Maybe some kind of system where you have to do something or pay some EC/dilithium to keep them around? Personally, I like the idea of having to cycle through new officers every once in a while. Something tells me that's not going to be a majority opinion, however...
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnrt
...Maybe some kind of system where you have to do something or pay some EC/dilithium to keep them around? Personally, I like the idea of having to cycle through new officers every once in a while. Something tells me that's not going to be a majority opinion, however...
I have no interest in paying to keep my BOs around. If you want to RP officer turnover by "relieving" your fully trained commanders and working up a new scrub, feel free to do that.

Making it a required game mechanic? No thanks.

As for your other comments about BOs becoming ship captains, I know that's been talked about in the far past as something the Devs had said they want(ed) to do, but it's a long way out, if it's even in development, much less still on the radar.

The point of this thread is looking for an outlet for the dozens and dozens of BOs I keep receiving from ranking and DOff recruitment missions. DOffs have such a system. There's a convenient little "Dismiss" button that rewards me with a small "going away present" when I flush the usless DOff out the airlock.

I would just like a similar compensation for refusing BOs.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCorrino
I'd rather not see this change. Right now, we have a vibrant exchange market for Boffs, allowing players to customize their bridge crew how they want. I worry that if you get dilithium for dismissing them, then no one will put them on the exchange. This would make it harder to customize your bridge crew how you want. It would be different if it were easier to get boffs of different types and qualities, but right now the main source seems to still be new players ranking up. The doff system has changed this somewhat, but not entirely.
It also might encourage people to find other people in this mmo to train their boffs for them. Just my 2 cents though. and it's easy to get boffs through alt play...and through Doff missions.
Closed Thread