Lt. Commander
# 21
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
I agree, a temporary resistance to a follow up of the same power would be much better, we already have something similar to this with the emergency dampers we get if hit with a PSW or Tricobalt.

These changes to RSP however are genuinely ridicuous, and I'm not sure what they set out to achieve with it. RSP was working fine before. In a situation where there are things that need to be changed for balance reasons, breaking something that seemingly is balance is really quite silly, and is only going to make RSP become a "must have" in a similar vein to the already "must haves" like Tactical Team and Hazard Emitters. Between the Flagships and Must Haves, we're going to very quickly wind up where anything but a flagship with a certain build is sub optimal, and that lack of variety is genuinely bad design.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Anyone else suspect that the change to RSP might be directly related to the newly released "lock box" Feregi ship since it has a Commander eng slot?
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Just another example in the long list of stuff that was fine before and should have been left alone in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromgold View Post
Anyone else suspect that the change to RSP might be directly related to the newly released "lock box" Feregi ship since it has a Commander eng slot?
And 3 scie consoles slots...
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalin
Just another example in the long list of stuff that was fine before and should have been left alone in this game.
Well, you know Cryptic's motto: If it isn't broken, "fix" it until it is.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Well, you know Cryptic's motto: If it isn't broken, "fix" it until it is.

:p

Honestly, I thought they had more than enough on their plate before they decided to create additional work for themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Quote:

Honestly, I thought they had more than enough on their plate before they decided to create additional work for themselves.
I thought that when they implemented the +1 ships and their consoles.

They hadn't even fully balanced the Bridge Officer powers, but thought it a good idea (or at least an actionable idea) to add a new pool of powers from an entirely new angle, breaking any previous design and balance paradigm? I mean, there are games and game design teams that you could pull it off - I wouldn't even put it past behind Cryptic's team to pull it off* - but not with the game in the state it was.

*) I honestly do not know if Cryptic's designers are good or not.
What I suspect though is that the small team size and the high pressure on them with a high workload ultimately reduces the quality they could deliver. Their work ethic - with developers putting in free time and extra hours, spending time on the forums to engage with raging fans like us PvPers, doesn't seem bad. The Duty Officer system seems to be a rather good, complex design with already a lot of its potential well realized - it could probably stand on its own as a facebook or smartphone app.
But their major systems space and ground are more complex and they never seemed to have gotten the polish and refinement they need.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
In this case, no I don't.

Although I was close on the number of Sci console slots.

I took a guess and said it would have 4 due to the Field Gen console changes.

So it ended up a Cruiser with Comm Eng and a heavy tactical focus, but 3 Sci consoles (why ?) & the battle module which is basically an improved version of seige mode.