Lt. Commander
# 11
04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Not a steam user. A pox on steam in fact.

This other sounds promising however. I have looked through my control panel at the various audio and driver settings but can't find an option to switch from the audio card to "default." Where exactly would I go about finding this?
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying.

The setting I'm talking about is mid-way down the Audio options, a drop down box labeled 'Output device'. Mine has three settings, 'HDA ATI SB Alc888 Analog', ''HDA ATI SB Alc888 Digital', and 'Default'. It seems to work best on 'Default' for me. You might also want to disable 'Digital Audio Processing' listed below that setting as well.

I've also found that if I have anything Flash based like Pandora or Youtube open in the web browser, I get no sound in STO, even though other audio applications can play over them fine.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Ah, okay. You meant in the Game Options, I have tried that. I actually only have 1 option available in that dropdown: "High Definition Audio Speakers" so that must not be my issue. I have pretty much exhausted every avenue I can find with the in-game options at this point.

There isn't a hidden "Mute" command that isn't listed in the keybinds is there? I was thinking maybe if there were maybe it was activated though I'm pretty sure it started happening after a start-up. I, up to that point. was having a severe disconnect problem that cleared up (more or less) at the same time this started happening.

This is really frustrating...
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner
I, up to that point. was having a severe disconnect problem that cleared up (more or less) at the same time this started happening.
Interesting, up until about 2 months people were having disconnect problems due to the voice chat thingy on certain connections. I wonder if it could be related to the voice chat thing.

I don't see it mentioned as having been tried yet, but have you tried uninstalling a reinstalling STO? Sometimes something goes wrong in a small part of the program and it's just easier to plow the entire thing under and start from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I have been thinking about that but, I must confess, dread going through that. This was a LONG install for me. Especially since I disabled the on-demand patching at one point to see if that helped and pre-loaded everything. I guess that's the last thing there is to try however...
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner
I have been thinking about that but, I must confess, dread going through that. This was a LONG install for me. Especially since I disabled the on-demand patching at one point to see if that helped and pre-loaded everything. I guess that's the last thing there is to try however...
Since it's a laptop, you might see if somewhere (McDonalds, university, a friends house, etc.) has a faster connection than you and download it there.