Lt. Commander
# 151
04-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty
What I got from trismigistus is that he feels it's a better idea to gamble on console fabrication than on lock box opening.
Perhaps you should switch your name arround a bit and call yourself "SmartyPants".

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths View Post
lol thx /10char
Even with 10 alts your not likely to have the resources to field more than one crack team of Fabricators. You can probably put together a Blue/Rare team that gets about an 18% chance at a purple console. At 4 million per Doff (need 5 Doffs) its affordable if your determined to do it. I say 4 million per Doff since I currently have two of them for sale with the efficient trait on the exchange right nowpriced at 4 million each. I had 6 of them, but 4 already sold this past week. A blue engineer will likely cost you upwards to 10 million and you do need at least 1 engineer on the fabrication team. So your looking at a 25 millionish investment minimum for a reasonably good fabrication team.

You can on the other hand use all the alts on your accounts to gather the strange alien artifacts and to then turn them into powered artifacts. You can sell the surplus of powered artifacts to finance your crack team of fabricators.

Word of advice if you do decide to shop the exchange for Doff's to Fabricate consoles. There is a negative trait which I think is "Unruly". You need to double check. Many of the efficient Doffs on the exchange are priced at the top price and they have this negative trait. You don't want those.
Lt. Commander
# 152
04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
Perhaps you should switch your name arround a bit and call yourself "SmartyPants".

Even with 10 alts your not likely to have the resources to field more than one crack team of Fabricators. You can probably put together a Blue/Rare team that gets about an 18% chance at a purple console. At 4 million per Doff (need 5 Doffs) its affordable if your determined to do it. I say 4 million per Doff since I currently have two of them for sale with the efficient trait on the exchange right now. I had 6 of them, but 4 already sold this past week. A blue engineer will likely cost you upwards to 10 million and you do need at least 1 engineer on the fabrication team. So your looking at a 25 millionish investment minimum for a reasonably good fabrication team.

You can on the other hand use all the alts on your accounts to gather the strange alien artifacts and to then turn them into powered artifacts. You can sell the surplus of powered artifacts to finance your crack team of fabricators.

Word of advice if you do decide to shop the exchange for Doff's to Fabricate consoles. There is a negative trait which I think is "Unruly". You need to double check. Many of the efficient Doffs on the exchange are priced at the top price and they have this negative trait. You don't want those.
Nice info thanks
Lt. Commander
# 153
04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
As of the time of this post you have 3 hours to get your Alts to the Rolar Nebula to grab yourself an artifact.

Make sure you have two Trader Doff's for each alt.

Negotiate Delivery of more of them is up if you have already completed the first part of Toy's.

The more there are on the exchange for sale the cheaper I will be able to keep my fabricators busy making consoles.

I just paid 900k each for two of them for a total of 1.8 million. Both of them are being infused into powered artifacts right now.

You could buy two master Keys from the exchange with the profit if nothing else. Everyone has at least two alts.

Thats right. Two free master keys just sitting there in the Rolar Nebula waiting for you to just pick up. Three master keys worth if you bother to infuse them and turn them into powered artifacts before selling them.

Money in the bank people. Easy money.

Buy your Lock Box ship if you don't want to gamble real money for it and quit griping at Cryptic because your too lazy to play the game with all of its nuances, niches, ways, and means.
Lt. Commander
# 154
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
As of the time of this post you have 3 hours to get your Alts to the Rolar Nebula to grab yourself an artifact.

Make sure you have two Trader Doff's for each alt.

Negotiate Delivery of more of them is up if you have already completed the first part of Toy's.

The more there are on the exchange for sale the cheaper I will be able to keep my fabricators busy making consoles.

I just paid 900k each for two of them for a total of 1.8 million. Both of them are being infused into powered artifacts right now.

You could buy two master Keys from the exchange with the profit if nothing else. Everyone has at least two alts.

Thats right. Two free master keys just sitting there in the Rolar Nebula waiting for you to just pick up. Three master keys worth if you bother to infuse them and turn them into powered artifacts before selling them.

Money in the bank people. Easy money.

Buy your Lock Box ship if you don't want to gamble real money for it and quit griping at Cryptic because your too lazy to play the game with all of its nuances, niches, ways, and means.
this /10char
Lt. Commander
# 155
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
snip
You are advocating a lot of in game time, not spent playing any real content, to fund the second hand purchase of this thing. I doubt many people have the patience to spend crossing their fingers on the exchange.

Doesn't sound like fun to me. IMO, most people don't want to get a second job inside of a video game world. Video games are for fun, not work.

The other choice? People can spend their money on those companies that farm EC and sell them on the net. A set price for something they want fast. But the money in no way supports the company that makes the content.

The problem is the way these things are brought into the game. I just don't agree with the system of random rewards for throwing our money at them. We give them a set amount of money (that they decide), and are given a random digital item. These items are of random worth, some are worth more to me then they are to you and vice versa. So we are paying a set price for a random value return. I don't like it. If you are going to try to charge me money for something, I want to know exactly what I will get out of it. The EC from the items you don't want are based on a fluctuating market, and have no fixed value.

If you want something out of the crystal store you need to:
1- buy C-points (fixed value)
2- spend c-points on lock box (fixed value)
3- turn lock box into random # of crystals (random value, with a possible drop of 0 crystals)
4- repeat unknown # of times
5- spend crystals on item desired (fixed value)
or
1- buy from the exchange (flexible value based on ingame market)

You might get lucky, and get the item you want dropped from the box or something of a higher EC value on the exchange than the item you want.

There are a few minor things out of these boxes that I would honestly be interested in buying from the c-store for a fixed value, but I am not interested in the current system.

I don't want the ship anyway, and haven't wanted any of the ships that have been offered in the lock boxes so far. But I am concerned what future boxes will hold.

Bottom line, I don't like when I spend money on something and have to cross my fingers for the outcome I want.

Edit: Any way we get these items ends up supporting this system. The items you buy with EC were aquired by a completely random # of C-store purchases. They may cost the same in EC, but each represents a completely different investment of real hard earned cash. How much is our EC worth? who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 156
04-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
You are advocating a lot of in game time, not spent playing any real content, to fund the second hand purchase of this thing. I doubt many people have the patience to spend crossing their fingers on the exchange.

Doesn't sound like fun to me. IMO, most people don't want to get a second job inside of a video game world. Video games are for fun, not work.

The other choice? People can spend their money on those companies that farm EC and sell them on the net. A set price for something they want fast. But the money in no way supports the company that makes the content.

The problem is the way these things are brought into the game. I just don't agree with the system of random rewards for throwing our money at them. We give them a set amount of money (that they decide), and are given a random digital item. These items are of random worth, some are worth more to me then they are to you and vice versa. So we are paying a set price for a random value return. I don't like it. If you are going to try to charge me money for something, I want to know exactly what I will get out of it. The EC from the items you don't want are based on a fluctuating market, and have no fixed value.

If you want something out of the crystal store you need to:
1- buy C-points (fixed value)
2- spend c-points on lock box (fixed value)
3- turn lock box into random # of crystals (random value, with a possible drop of 0 crystals)
5- spend crystals on item desired (fixed value)
or
1- buy from the exchange (flexible value based on ingame market)

You might get lucky, and get the item you want dropped from the box or something of a higher EC value on the exchange than the item you want.

There are a few minor things out of these boxes that I would honestly be interested in buying from the c-store for a fixed value, but I am not interested in the current system.

I don't want the ship anyway, and haven't wanted any of the ships that have been offered in the lock boxes so far. But I am concerned what future boxes will hold.

Bottom line, I don't like when I spend money on something and have to cross my fingers for the outcome I want.
This is not the first MMO I have played by a long shot.

Every MMO I have ever played has elements of what your saying your not comfortable with.

Might not be the same format, but it works out the same in the end.

One of my favorite MMO's that I played for years was Lineage II.

Back in those days the big gamble (60/40 against) was enchantments. They were very expensive to buy and a very big gamble to use since if the enchantment failed your item was destroyed and turned into crystals that were not worth very much in compensation. Each subsequent successful enchantment added a plus to the item and enhanced its glow until you got to +16 and the blue glow turned to bright red. Those were very very rare for the longest time.

They sure were fun to play with though.

Almost everyone on the Hindameth Server knew Trismigistus (Tris the Dwarf). I was the most popular player to player Trader because I always had what you wanted at the best price (,or could get it for you) and people hated going to the proverbial farmer to get what they wanted. The farmers were always overpriced and everyone also knew I did everything in game and did not mess with E-Bay, or those internet sellers.

The Farmers came to me to sell their stuff because they knew I could move it.

Players came to me because I would take all of their junk off their hands for a fair trade in game cash and save them the precious time it would take to farm out their things themselves.

I had a blast adventuring everyday with the glowiest and highest of enchanted weapons and became a big laugh to everyone because every day I would have a different crazy over enchanted weapon to play with which was also one of the best ways to advertise my wares.

The point I am trying to make is that what your criticizing is one of the most tried and true elements of MMO's that attract players and add depth to the experience.

The Galor's and the D'Kora's are the +16 weapons in STO.

If they were easy to get and everyone had them noone would want them as badly as they do.

There would be no fun, or entertainment value in achieving ownership of them.
Lt. Commander
# 157
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
edited......
Lt. Commander
# 158
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
3 - wrong, you always get at least 1 crystal per box.
4 - wrong, by getting at least 1 crystal per box, you know the max number of times you have to repeat. For example, if you want the Ferengi set, you need 600 crystals, which means you need to open 600 boxes at most. Yes, price is high, but it's not like you could keep opening lock boxes forever and never get there (unlike the D'Kor itself)

Not to mention, as you're buying these boxes, you never know, and may get a D'Kora drop in the process. Least that's what happened to me... collecting crystals for some of the crystal store stuff, and a D'Kora dropped... could have sold it and easily made up the $ I spent if I wanted (assuming a 100CP = 1mil conversion rate, per Master Keys on exchange)

Point being, the Crystal portion of it is the least wrong thing with the lock boxes, and a great addition.
Lt. Commander
# 159
04-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
3 - wrong, you always get at least 1 crystal per box.
4 - wrong, by getting at least 1 crystal per box, you know the max number of times you have to repeat. For example, if you want the Ferengi set, you need 600 crystals, which means you need to open 600 boxes at most. Yes, price is high, but it's not like you could keep opening lock boxes forever and never get there (unlike the D'Kor itself)
And you don't have to spend real money to get the keys. They are available on the exchange for EC.

It is the impatience factor that drives people to satisfy their want by blowing cash to get things now.

You can easily get 600 boxes and store them in your warehouse and take as long as you need to aquire 600 keys for EC without spending real cash.

Although people have reported getting 10, 20 and 30 crystals in a single box. Not often, but it happens.

I suggest you read this thread before going for it though.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=266550

For those who have been reading my previous posts. I got another purple console. Biofunction Monitor.

I will probably get between 5 and 7 million for it. Kind of a bust really.
Lt. Commander
# 160
04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
*Deleted due to moving message to a new thread*