Lt. Commander
# 161
04-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
This is not the first MMO I have played by a long shot.
I never implied it was, and to be honest I usually get tired of MMOs (or any game) that have too many tedious tasks in order to progress. I really don't think I am alone in this. And I get that there are those that enjoy things that way.

If it were cut and dry, do this and it either breaks or gets better... that would be completely different. Here we are dealing with items that have dozens of possible rewards, most people probably aren't shooting for everything on the loot list. There is no real value that you can set for them. I am fairly certain I opened one of the "hacked" lock boxes and did not get any crystals. Mind you, I also think that their loot generator is busted, as on an alternate character I did not even receive the "hacked" keys to open them.

I am not criticizing any tried and true element of MMOs. Whether you work hard at your craft to get it is irrelevant to where it came from to begin with. It came out of a lock box before it got to you. Rare and RL expensive are 2 different things. And the EC you put into that item represents any range of CP put into the # of boxes to get to that drop.

As a community we are putting a lot of money into this and still have to cross our fingers for the outcome each of us want. You are hoping that others will list what you want in the exchange, and at a price that wont keep rising with your income of cash, and others are throwing cash at the problem trying to sift through the random loot. I just think that if anyone puts cash into this company, we should be able to know exactly what we are getting out of it.

If I buy an item from the c-store, I have a reasonable expectation that I will have access to that exact item. If there is a bug, I know what I am entitled and can take it up with the company.

With a random reward, how do I know the system is working correctly? How do I know there isn't some quirk with the system or my account that is locking me out of certain rewards?

You should have a blast playing and earning rewards. I have a problem with the sheer number of random purchases everyone has to put into getting these items into the game.
Lt. Commander
*moved message to Federation Shipyards*
Lt. Commander
# 163
04-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
I have a problem with the sheer number of random purchases everyone has to put into getting these items into the game.
At 30 to 40 CP free per day from the 8k dilithium you can process you can average 10 free keys per month for free.

You can store hundreds of boxes in a warehouse and open a few at a time until the cows come home. Out of pocket expense = zero.

Not positive this is you, but the name is similar and if its not you I think he is someone you might agree with on some things. The names are pretty similar.

Mavgeek ???
http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic...ng-in-the-mud#

Whoever it was mistakingly claimed the D'Kora was bound and not sellable on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 164
04-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
At 30 to 40 CP free per day from the 8k dilithium you can process you can average 10 free keys per month for free.

You can store hundreds of boxes in a warehouse and open a few at a time until the cows come home.

Not positive this is you, but the name is similar and if its not you I think he is someone you might agree with on some things. The names are pretty similar.

Mavgeek ???
http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic...ng-in-the-mud#

Whoever it was mistakingly claimed the D'Kora was bound and not sellable on the exchange.
Nope, no relation.

What people can do, and what they are educated enough to know how to do are completely different things. You and I both know there are plenty of people that aren't up to speed with how certain aspects of this game work. The rest of the items are not bound to high level experienced players. All the new players are being just as enticed as the old hats to open up these boxes for the goodies they have inside.

Edited for grammar
Lt. Commander
# 165
04-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Nope, no relation.

What people can do, and what they are educated enough to know how to do are completely different things. You and I both know there are plenty of people that aren't up to speed with how certain aspects of this game work. The rest of the items are not bound to high level experienced players. All the new players are being just as enticed as the old hats to open up these boxes for the goodies they have inside.

Edited for grammar
I really don't see what you're complaining about. If you play it smart, you have a great chance at getting a D'Kora without spending any real money. If you're new or just not competent, then you'll probably miss out on the D'Kora, but you still have a chance. I don't see any problem with this.
Lt. Commander
# 166
04-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarlord
Otherwise, and many agree, it clearly shows that it was unfinished (rendering it black to try and hide it), stuck those interact-able consoles in, and called it a day. Which seems to be a general theme with these lock box ships. In that make the outside look nice and skimp on the inside with no interior but the bridge. And no where is it more apparent then with this latest lock box ship. But I digress... the trophy floor/shelves will make the ship looked finished.
Black? I just checked mine and the gambling room has pale green walls and a deep red (closer to maroon) floor.

Are you running in DX11? I had to switch back to DX9 after updating my video card drivers as large parts of the game were being rendered with black patches, are you sure this isn't what you're seeing because that room's definitely not black on mine.
Lt. Commander
# 167
04-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli
I really don't see what you're complaining about. If you play it smart, you have a great chance at getting a D'Kora without spending any real money. If you're new or just not competent, then you'll probably miss out on the D'Kora, but you still have a chance. I don't see any problem with this.
I don't want a D'Kora. It is one of the ugliest ships imaginable IMO, plus I am not big on none Starfleet designs.

I just don't like the system they implemented to get it into the game in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 168
04-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Nope, no relation.

Edited for grammar
What in the world is wrong with people opening up boxes for goodies? Its fun, or they would not do it and if its not fun they won't.

For better, or worse, and for whatever reason the game is now free to play with no monthly subscription.

I personally have 640,000 refined dilithium which is well over 2,000 CP points and I fly the Free Odyssey and have yet to buy a C store ship. I have two unopened Galors and enough EC to buy a D'Kora and yet I still fly my free Odyssey.

Guess what? I have tons of fun and have not spent a dime in real money.

I can if I want and some day I probably will when Cryptic entices me with something I just got to have right away.

Until then I have a choice just like everyone else to spend, or not to spend real money.

Why is it that some people want to take away the freedom of choice other people have. Why is it that some people insist that other people are not capable of making a decision on if they want to spend money for the sake of convenience as an entertainment expense?

How is it that people complain about things being the way they are when the game is free to play?

The free market determines if something works, or goes bust. People vote with their wallets and purses.

I paid $50 for the game at launch and subscribed for months until I had my fill. F2P brought me back.

In other words from my point of view the business model seems to be working. Even if I am not spending real cash my playing the game is facilitating the entertainment of others who are spending cash for items and interacting with me on the exchange.

I do the work to get what they want and they spend real cash to get something I want and trade it to me.

Its like some people want to turn STO into a virtual Nanny State where big brother and little sister micro manage your real life decisions regarding how you choose to spend your entertainment dollar.
Lt. Commander
# 169
04-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Thank you for pointing that out. I have gamma set on 100% and no problems with DX11 or associated black patches. Deleted the parenthasis.
Lt. Commander
# 170
04-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Quote:
What in the world is wrong with people opening up boxes for goodies? Its fun, or they would not do it and if its not fun they won't.
Since when am I taking away your freedom of choice? I have sacrificed and taken lives in order to protect that right.

And I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, I think you are putting a much more serious tone on my words than I am meaning. I am conversing for the sake of conversation. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I also don't like Coconut, not the flavor... the consistency.

I don't like the system because there are people that are excitedly clicking the 'buy' button without really knowing what they are buying, and not having a set value on what they are getting.

I preferred the method when they allowed the purchase of a couple C-store ships with the old merit system. You knew its in game cost, and you knew what it would take to buy it outright.

I am certainly not trying to tell anybody what to do or how to play their game.

Edited: terrible spelling