Lt. Commander
# 31
04-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashgalaxy86 View Post
Well that's all too bad. I certainly hope you guys are wrong. I don't mind paying for premium content from time to time, but I hate it when I start playing a game when it's already declining severely. Champions Online seems to be doing just fine with the F2P model, so I wonder why Star Trek, which is a massive property, is doing any differently. The gameplay isn't that original but it's passable and Cryptic excels at customization and giving players tools for community interaction (like the foundry), but Cryptic needs to provide more than that to stay relevant.
Champions Online are doing well because they have a majority of 10 yr olds that are easily pleased by hesai emo hairstyles and rainbow ponies.

Star Trek has close to half a century of storline and characters. Its fan base, by comparison knows what Star Trek is, and what it is not.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArremer View Post
Well, with PWE acquiring Cryptic, all that STO is now is a big cashgrab. People are simply supposed to take part in the lockbox gambling. Everything else is only secondary, and actual new content that will given to the players for free is completely irrelevant. The DOff overhaul was simply so people would buy more DOffs from the C-Store.
Agree with you in this. Sly how all the really good doff missions require doffs with traits you can only find from the c-store....
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashgalaxy86 View Post
Seems like such a missed opportunity. This game has one of the biggest properties in Sci Fi attached to it (if not the very biggest), and yet they're squandering an opportunity to develop a great title into an incredible one. Well, I guess we have Foundry missions. Seems like that's what is going to be leaned on now.
Mark my words - they will monetise the Foundry in due course.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Yes, they do have a calendar. Right on the home page.

And yes, he is wrong about it. There have been a lot of free addtions to the game that he didn't mention or talk down. And there will be more.

It really bugs me how just plain and simple unfair some people on these forums are towards the devs at Cryptic. And no, I am in no way associated with Cryptic other than enjoying their game, STO.
"Unfair" towards the devs!!!

Who else is there to blame? The janitors? The devs are responsible for what they create. PERIOD. When someone says one thing, then goes and does the complete opposite, why do they deserve fairness. That boat has sailed. I have seen parasites more symbiotically inclined....