Lt. Commander
# 21
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
History of the World Part 1 must really give you fits.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I actually lost control laughing when the people jumping into the water exploded in a fireball. Oh Michael bay...
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, I think if anything is an insult to the poor people that dies on or near the real Titanic, itīs the horrible movie that reduces that catastrophe to some teen love drama.

To loosely quote from the UK TV show Being Human:

" Titanic? Isnīt that the movie with the sinking ship and Celine Dion wailing like a
Banshee in the background ?"

Lt. Commander
# 24
04-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
don't mean there family's are there kid's so on has enough time passed to make fun of 9/11? what about that movie pearl harbor whit Ben Affleck so on in it going to poke fun at that to?
Didn't those kind of jokes already start? Wasn't there a comedy about a few wannabe terrorists recently?
Humor is just one way of dealing with such difficult issues

Of course, this isn't even about ridiculing the Titanic. It's about ridiculing the trend to re-release old movies with new SFX or 3D or whatever t make some extra buck, and the trend of some movie makers these days to focusing too much on their special effects. E.g. Micheal Bay explosions, JJ Abrams lense flares, James Cameron's 3D.

If you find it distasteful, that's just an added aspect of the humor, actually - consider that Micheal Bay et al glorify combat and war where real people die, but we all go to see it because of the awesome explosions and seeing all the military hardware in action. (I am gonna see Battleship next, probably.)
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Well, back to the OP.... let's play 'guess who's suggestion':

Okay - considering who is involved, firstly the Titanic simply can't be an Olympic-class ship - too 1900's. It needs to be updated and remodelled to meet the expectations of today's moviegoers.

And the crew's names don't matter - let's rename the Captain. Captain Explosion! and his First mate can be Commander Explosion! In fact, the ship is crewed by explosions! And the ship should explode, with some chick in a bikini jumping overboard in slow motion, before it sinks! And explodes! Did the Carpathia explode too?

And there needs to be some comic relief dude. Everyone loves the comic relief character! And the fictional teen, who has nothing to do with what actually occurred on that day, should be a moody, brooding, invidiual who feels that he doesn't get the respect he deserves. Everyone loves that too! And we can always change these things on the subsequent DVD releases if moviegoers don't like them!
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
I would like to also point out that WKRP in Cincinatti brilliantly lampooned the Hindenburg disaster in the episode "Turkeys Away"
No, that episode was based on a real parallel event. A real radio station actually did drop turkeys like that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
you can add me to the I don't like reason it insulting to the ppl who really died on that ship
indeed, that the money gain and because i hate the titanic movies anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I needed a laugh. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
No, that episode was based on a real parallel event. A real radio station actually did drop turkeys like that.
Les Nessman's coverage of the turkey event is a clear send up of Herbert Morrison's eyewitness radio report for station WLS in Chicago
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
That is funny. I lost it when the people blew up when they hit the water.