Lt. Commander
# 11
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
It is simple.. if you have an NVidia GFX card from the GTS 8600 or newer series with a minimum of 512 MB Gddr2 or higher, then the NVidia card has a built in Physx Processor.

STO installs the Physx Software from when the game was written (make sure to update your physx software AFTER STO is installed).

The software enables people to let their CPU process Physx reguardless of Vid Card, however those using the NVidia Cards I stated will have the Physx offloaded from the CPU to the GPU Physx co-processor, thus causing less load on the system CPU.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
PhysX is a physics library like HAVOC. PhysX has two versions, there is unaccelerated version that is inexpensive to license for games. And then there is a hardware accelerated version that uses the CUDA architecture on nVidia GPU's. The common version of this library is the unaccelerated version, but still allows games to go physics calculations through the CPU.

IF STO installed the PhysX library (I do not know as I had it pre-installed) they they are using the unaccelerated version for their partial physics. This will not hinder you in any way, it is just a physics library like HAVOC.

As for PhysX and Cuda, this has not taken off due to the split market that nvidia has. writing a game to use Hardware accelerated PhysX also means developer have to create an unaccelerated version of the application. Sadly this limits the market value of the game. Something most developers are loath to do unless they are getting some serious kickbacks from nVidia.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Star Trek Online is not listed on the official "games that use Physx" list.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Yeah well im running a GTX560 Ti .

odd thing even If it is only CPU PHYSX!! it aint even working right, As you turn on Physx Indicator NCP & it dont show cpu or gpu physx is on..
Even if i go into Nvidia Control Panel And Force Either GPU or CPU Physx it dont show either is Working

Is there anyway To properly Utilize These Physx Abilties Proper on my card like GPU physx.
As the way it is ingame there is NOT enough debris From explosions
Not Enough Bedris on planets like leaves & moving grass!

I already did alot of testing with the Debris Slider ingame
But even if you go into The Gameprefs Config file you can manualy Set the Slider Upto
999 - Debris instead of the 200 Max ingame..

But it dont seem to make a difference why i think it is locked to such a low amount of debris like 200 pieces Due to Slower Comps.
I WANT MORE & it's so much more realistic (if quantum mortar leaves near 1,000 debris instead of 200)

We would all be in a better place if 13 years ago ATI Excepted to put Physx on there Cards (They were offered it for Free By Nvidia Originally, but ATI refused the Much needed Help.. & They Still Need that help.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Question to the devs about PhysX usage and library versions used.

It seems you still use the very old PhysX files used when STO came out, PhysX has been greatly improved since then and I wonder if you will ever update the libraries used in STO?

I did some manual "experiments" and eventually found "fitting" library Versions which I could use to replace the ones STO came with, forcing a write protection of said files made it impossible for the STO launcher to replace them with the old ones (which would have happened otherwise) and performance seemed to have improved so why not do this officially?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Could you reveal some more Details, as like which version of PhysX you used, and how significant the improvements were?

I only have a GT440, but i'd like to give it a try, if i knew exactly what Version Number is needed. I loathe the fiddeling around with x diffrent lib versions while risking to smash the whole driver installation. This might evolve into a quicky-sticky workaround to fix this. As long as the devs stick to the same lib version, that is. But if they finally upgrade to a newer version, they might use a gpu-enabled one anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Could you reveal some more Details, as like which version of PhysX you used, and how significant the improvements were?

I only have a GT440, but i'd like to give it a try, if i knew exactly what Version Number is needed. I loathe the fiddeling around with x diffrent lib versions while risking to smash the whole driver installation. This might evolve into a quicky-sticky workaround to fix this. As long as the devs stick to the same lib version, that is. But if they finally upgrade to a newer version, they might use a gpu-enabled one anyway.
Yeah, I also have a GT440, it doesn't play nice with the shadows in STO (I keep them turned off) but its a rather good card. Updating PhysX would be nice of the devs to do, would improve performance quite a bit in high-debris environments (even overall). The graphical performance of the game is something that the devs need to look at, despite DX11, the graphics haven't had a major overhaul/cleanup since the game's first release....