Lt. Commander
Inspired by this thread's discussion, I got to wondering if there's been any talk amongst the devs of linking in text based side stories in a serial format for various existing and upcoming DOFF chains?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
It's a really interesting idea.

As much as possible, I am a fan of integrating storytelling into duty officer assignments, and in particular in the chains.

We are currently finishing up a Caitian/Ferasan pair of assignment chains that do this in much the same way we did with Project Chrysalis or Ghosts of the Jem'Hadar. As we figure out new ways to do this - either within the duty officer system itself or outside it in some way - it is a definite possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Well as a assignment reward you could give us some kind of data chip with the story on it. Similar to how the "Path to..." chips work. That way you wouldn't have to change much in the Doff system. You only have to create new data chips.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
Well as a assignment reward you could give us some kind of data chip with the story on it. Similar to how the "Path to..." chips work. That way you wouldn't have to change much in the Doff system. You only have to create new data chips.

Accolades! Please Accolades!
Sure, we only would have to read those once really - but even more items in the inventory ...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2012, 12:55 AM
I don't know if you can get an Accolade when you are completing an assignment. As far as I know there isn't one working like this currently. Use the data chip and you get an Accolade (like wise to the Path to... chips).

Depending on how much work it is to include Accolades as an assignment reward, the data chip variant might be easier to implement because all the assets are already there (and now I jinxed it. ).

Furthermore on a repeatable step you could get an additional data chip to "trade" the story with others. That way you wouldn't have to Doff to get the story. If you would only get an accolade, you would have to do the mission to read the story.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
I don't know if you can get an Accolade when you are completing an assignment. As far as I know there isn't one working like this currently. Use the data chip and you get an Accolade (like wise to the Path to... chips).

Depending on how much work it is to include Accolades as an assignment reward, the data chip variant might be easier to implement because all the assets are already there (and now I jinxed it. ).

Furthermore on a repeatable step you could get an additional data chip to "trade" the story with others. That way you wouldn't have to Doff to get the story. If you would only get an accolade, you would have to do the mission to read the story.
Datachip to be "archived" as an accolade then. )

The point is to add more story to the assignments, not to give players something to read instead of playing.