Lt. Commander
# 11
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
It makes sense, but there are issues with having Captain-only players. One being that in Starfleet, Captains don't normally go on away missions. Star Trek fans are sticklers for things like that, so getting around that and letting players beam their Captains down into dangerous situations without annoying Trekkers may be a challenge. Also it seems like it may limit the replayability of the game -- in almost every MMO you can start as one class and if you don't enjoy the gameplay you can start over with a different class that plays totally different. If everyone is a Captain in STO, the gameplay is probably always the same or at least very similar regardless of how you make your character.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I've saved myself time repeating myself. Player crews won't work here is why.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
You wouldn't be sitting in a room. You would be tending your own ship. It is something that those who can "multi-task" would enjoy most. A case of switching between cameras, from your captain to your engineer.
Lt. Commander
# 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marscentral View Post
...Player crews won't work...
Yeah, there's that too. And I think Craig pretty much summed up the reasoning adequately.
Lt. Commander
# 15
as with many of these other site posts, it is a rehash of what Craig has said to us all along. There is a lot that goes into the decisions the Dev team makes. Great read though, I wish it would be read by a lot of the nay sayers that have been lurking here lately.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
I want player crews, not "maybe later"...
This issue was explained rather clearly in the Blog update. They originaly wanted to have player crews, but they realized that to do it RIGHT(meaning each person actually having somethng fun and entertaining to do) would take so long that STO's release would be years away. So in reality, you would STILL have to wait several years to have player crews, whether STO is released this year and they are later added or whether the game was delayed until they were ready.

Personally, I'll take the game this year and be happy when functioning player crews are implimented at some time in the future. That said, you can wait to play STO until player crews are in game if you want to; no one will make you play it at launch
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenshae View Post
I want to say it and I know there has been a thread already closed for this link and I might get banned or this could be completely futile...
Can I recommend easing up on the drama a little? Nagus's thread was closed because the developers opened a main thread in the News section of the forum. You're not going to get banned for expressing your opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
But heck if we made that many full-featured and deep games, wed end up either never getting the game out to you guys or providing a huge range of thin and rather crappy experiences. Neither is an attractive option.

I like this approach - Quality over Quantity.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Let's focus the forum experience and keep it all in one place. I closed your thread, but I appreciate that you were more on the ball!
Though someone has posted yet another thread about the blog update on the STO discussion forum, I understand your position. And I doubt its that I was 'more on the ball' so much as you are probably bussier than I am atm
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
Yeah, there's that too. And I think Craig pretty much summed up the reasoning adequately.
He did. I saw his twitter half way through writing. I may be psychic.