Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I was most excited about player crews when i heard of the idea of STO and i definetly wanted it because of the teamwork aspect, but since cryptic has declared that this is not going to happen i have mostly ccepted it due to the fact that the game has NO chance if they include it.
I want to play STO and not in 5 years but asap and that will only work if we accept that it might come down to a reduced gameexperience, but a great experience nevertheles.
If you want the whole thing, the ultimate bridgecrew-feeling with your friends, you either need to develope your own fan-game or you have to wait till either STO2 is released or STO will have it, please don't ask for it again, we know it by now...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
There is a new section? People actually read it? People actually use Youtube? Okay, never mind, there are people that play WoW, it is confirmed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenshae View Post
You wouldn't be sitting in a room. You would be tending your own ship. It is something that those who can "multi-task" would enjoy most. A case of switching between cameras, from your captain to your engineer.
Ok, I totally agree with this. I think that as the captain I should be able to step in and do the job of my NPC crew if I so choose. This could be managed from an NPC window on the UI.

At release there could be just a few graphics and things that a captain could do/cpmmand. Like others have stated, they can gradually release other tasks/interiors until eventually they build up enough content that you could actually have Guest NPCs and full ship interiors. I find this approach very reasonable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moryan Sorg
Ok, I totally agree with this. I think that as the captain I should be able to step in and do the job of my NPC crew if I so choose. This could be managed from an NPC window on the UI.

At release there could be just a few graphics and things that a captain could do/cpmmand. Like others have stated, they can gradually release other tasks/interiors until eventually they build up enough content that you could actually have Guest NPCs and full ship interiors. I find this approach very reasonable.
It's better, if they ever intend to have player crews, for them to develop the mechanics fully and release the feature when it is fully developed rather than start out with bits and pieces providing a mediocre experience, upon which to gradually build, that is going to result in disappointed fans and poor reviews.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
It's better, if they ever intend to have player crews, for them to develop the mechanics fully and release the feature when it is fully developed rather than start out with bits and pieces providing a mediocre experience, upon which to gradually build, that is going to result in disappointed fans and poor reviews.
I don't think that is necessarily true. If they chose to they can release it in pieces and see what works/what is fun and what isn't. It may actually create a better experience.

Anyway, the main point of the article is that some things had to be cut/delayed so that other things received the required attention. Things like the episodic mission generator seem to be a much bigger priorities, and I think they should be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
This is the best approach to capturing the Trek experience, at least in my opinion.

When we watch a Star Trek movie or series, we're witnessing what is the very core of the essence of Star Trek, that's collaboration. Different species, different people - all cooperating to reach a mutual goal. And while that may seem to contradict the path the Devs took, it's really not.

Part of the experience includes association with all of the bridge crew, not just one. Likewise, the ship you command should follow that form. I'm going into the game not just excited to play Captain, but ultimately playing every role of my ship, and even playing the ship itself on some level.

Ideally I'd love opportunities for mini-games involving targeting ships from tactical and serving some drinks as the 10-Forward bartender, but that's not the crux of the game or the series. That always rests firmly with the captain, be it Janeway or Kirk.

I'm hoping our "pets" won't become disposable redshirts who will be replaced with little or no hassle. I'm hoping a veteran crew who've been under your command for a long time will likewise grow with you - and I hope there are options for humanizing (for lack of a better term) them and fleshing out their lives - and maybe even inhabiting them as well as the forgotten roles on a starship.

"Lower Decks" remains a fan favorite TNG episode precisely because of that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you it was a nice read
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor Zexx
[...]
I'm hoping our "pets" won't become disposable redshirts who will be replaced with little or no hassle. I'm hoping a veteran crew who've been under your command for a long time will likewise grow with you - and I hope there are options for humanizing (for lack of a better term) them and fleshing out their lives - and maybe even inhabiting them as well as the forgotten roles on a starship.

"Lower Decks" remains a fan favorite TNG episode precisely because of that.
I can't remember where, but I remember reading a dev post that said that the NPC crews won't die. During battle %ages of the crew will die and decrease performance, but not the actual NPC crew that you'll be able to take on away missions. The NPC crews, captain and ship will be disabled/incapacitated and not destroyed/killed. At least that seems to be the plan right now.

I like your post on a whole. There was a thread a week or two ago, "NPC crews is a lie" and it was basically pointing out that while they state that the PC is the captain, it will probably feel more like the PC is the whole ship. Cryptic seems to be trying to give each individual player a whole episode feel, and not just from the perspective of one of the crew members. I really like that approach.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
They deleted my reply. *laughs* I guess that means they read it at least.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moryan Sorg
I can't remember where, but I remember reading a dev post that said that the NPC crews won't die. During battle %ages of the crew will die and decrease performance, but not the actual NPC crew that you'll be able to take on away missions. The NPC crews, captain and ship will be disabled/incapacitated and not destroyed/killed. At least that seems to be the plan right now.

I like your post on a whole. There was a thread a week or two ago, "NPC crews is a lie" and it was basically pointing out that while they state that the PC is the captain, it will probably feel more like the PC is the whole ship. Cryptic seems to be trying to give each individual player a whole episode feel, and not just from the perspective of one of the crew members. I really like that approach.
Thanks. I'll have to check out that thread if its still up.

I think this is often an overlooked tid-bit that both hardcore trekkers ("I want to be Engineer NOT Captain"), Casual Trek Fans ("I watched a show and a movie here and there") and total newbies ("Star Trek? Is that the one with the laser swords?") can all agree on: the crux of Star Trek is the ships and their crews.

You don't see a show named "Star Trek: Janeway." It's called "Voyager." I really hope we'll come to identify as the ship itself, because that's where the mythology comes from. The ship becomes a living entity. Yes there are mythic captains, but there's also mythic engineers and doctors. And they form a cohesive whole. Ultimately its the crew of Voyager that got her home from the Delta Quadrant - and ultimately when two player's ships, for example, the USS Scotland meets the USS Ghandi en-route to a mission. You'll be able to see the renown and exploits not of just the captain, but of every crew member who helped build that reputation.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 PM.