Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
Still being one-shot killed, through full (MACO) shields and hull.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Its easier to program one-hit kills than an AI capable of engaging 5 opponents at once. Not sure if this counts as Fake Difficulty though, or just The Computer Is A Cheating *******. Still, I doubt its something that will ever be removed though, as otherwise the only challenge in STFs is keeping your team coordinated.

Edit:
Hmm, won't let me link to a web page if the page url contains a word killed by the profanity filter. Well, replace the asterisks with a boy born out of wedlock and it works.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaMala View Post
Its easier to program one-hit kills than an AI capable of engaging 5 opponents at once. Not sure if this counts as Fake Difficulty though, or just The Computer Is A Cheating *******. Still, I doubt its something that will ever be removed though, as otherwise the only challenge in STFs is keeping your team coordinated.

Edit:
Hmm, won't let me link to a web page if the page url contains a word killed by the profanity filter. Well, replace the asterisks with a boy born out of wedlock and it works.
I understand all of that.

Recent changes to NPC dreadnoughts, Tac Cubes etc, and the damage they deal leads me to believe the developers are trying to tone one-shot kills down a bit.

So my post was just to show that it isn't really working yet. :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Any claim the oneshots are being/have been removed is a lie until conclusively proven otherwise.

And frankly, it doesn't matter what the excuse is for having it, AI units with one-hit-kills are bad game design. Period.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazapsky
Any claim the oneshots are being/have been removed is a lie until conclusively proven otherwise.

And frankly, it doesn't matter what the excuse is for having it, AI units with one-hit-kills are bad game design. Period.
In general, one hit kills are lazy game design to make "boss" characters more dangerous than their other companions, and heighten the stakes and priority in killing them.

However, the way the one-shot torpedo is implemented in STO is bad game design because A) it's invisible and B) it's untargetable.

If Cryptic wants to give the Cubes on STF Elite a one hit kill torpedo, that's fine. But, it should be slow and targetable, so I can spray it with antiproton bolts from my turrets and DHCs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
Still being one-shot killed, through full shields and hull.
I'm not convinced that the devs are looking in the right place. I think there may be a random number generator glitch, occasionally apply a very very negative resistance to the player, or something else wonky going on.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I'm not convinced that the devs are looking in the right place. I think there may be a random number generator glitch, occasionally apply a very very negative resistance to the player, or something else wonky going on.
That doesn't appear to be the case though. Based on the numbers in the OP he had over 50% resistance to the attack, the amount of damage dealt is just too high. 166k is near enough three times the total hull HP of an Odyssey and the Odyssey HP is higher than anything else (Fed side at least), add in the fire from the Raptor's and the Cube's (as well as the Cube's shield drains) and it's hard to be in a position to regularly take that hit, which is unfortunate as the NPCs spam Plasma torpedoes every four seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
That doesn't appear to be the case though. Based on the numbers in the OP he had over 50% resistance to the attack, the amount of damage dealt is just too high. 166k is near enough three times the total hull HP of an Odyssey and the Odyssey HP is higher than anything else (Fed side at least), add in the fire from the Raptor's and the Cube's (as well as the Cube's shield drains) and it's hard to be in a position to regularly take that hit, which is unfortunate as the NPCs spam Plasma torpedoes every four seconds.
I agree completely.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
That doesn't appear to be the case though. Based on the numbers in the OP he had over 50% resistance to the attack,

No, my point is that he THINKS his hull resist is that high... it's possible that occasionally wierd values get used instead of the proper one, etc.

Quote:
the amount of damage dealt is just too high. 166k is near enough three times the total hull HP of an Odyssey and the Odyssey HP is higher than anything else (Fed side at least), add in the fire from the Raptor's and the Cube's (as well as the Cube's shield drains) and it's hard to be in a position to regularly take that hit, which is unfortunate as the NPCs spam Plasma torpedoes every four seconds.
According to the devs only high yield shootable torps from tactical cubes should be able to get anywhere close to that... not normal torpedos from these other ships. That indicates that something screwy is going on in their calculations, not that torpedos are too strong.... since, as you note, they'd never create a torpedo that strong deliberately.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
i guess it's allways this invisible torpedo. and that is a problem with grafics as i heard on stoked. it happens that those HY torpedos are invisible due to a priority list for effects.
As for now the priority of those torpedos is allready very high, but still happens from time to time. But much less than when new STF's were released.