Lt. Commander
# 31
04-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWyvern View Post
TL : DR
Cryptic needs to ditch Panarchic Wallet, and get back to respectable practices. They were profitable without a publisher forcing them to stoop to dispicable business tactics (Atarii having cryptic as one of very few profitable assets, selling out to prevent bankruptcy), and all PW's been doing to STO is making it depend on it for life and longevity.

Drive enough paying customers away, and you drive up the prices of the goods. Yeah you make more money per sale, but less of them. With lower prices and more frequent sales, you make more money in the long run.
I'm in full agreement with this post.

Also yes, $25 for a Tier 5+ ship. Hmm. I can tolerate that they are charging me the price for the entire game from purchasing a VA ship and I would be content if it stopped there.

I thought the c-store was working perfectly fine, with F2P game mechanics and all.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeknow
I seriously doubt TOR will ever go to a full F2P model. EA just does not do it with big MMOs.

I'll give you an example. Warhammer Online, probably the biggest flop in MMO history. Some 300 million in development and the game rolled over and died within 1 year. Its been buried so long that mold has grown on its tombstone and its only free for the first 2 tiers. For tier 3 and 4...you have to subscribe still. Again with Dark Age of Camelot. One of the most fun PvP centric games I've ever played. But its age is telling. The UI is still stuck in its early 2000's format, no major updates/upgrades since its last expansion in 2007 and the game will be 11 years old come Oct with about 2k players left globally. It still is not F2P. EA would rather shut down the severs and trash bin the game entirely than go to a full F2P model. TOR will be the same way. Bioware made and produced it, but EA owns it and calls the shots. TOR will follow the same path all other MMOs that EA has absorbed over the years has done...subscribe till the plug gets pulled.

F2P doesnt always save a game from certain death either......look at Wolfpack Studios and their game Shadowbane. They went fully F2P and still they pulled the plug. Which proves if you push out crap, the game will die regardless. Crytpic/PWE is really getting close to that edge as well with the ********** garbage they been putting out lately.
**** is now owned by Bioware now Good to see an old time **** player here only about 300K actually knew of it due to poor marketing under mythic and though you're right while it was in EAs hands it never would go F2P as for the OP the whambulance left January 2012 on F2P launch you should have been on board then I freakin love this game despite the flaws oh that's right we're only human.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpa
I would ask you why would you be a lifetime sub, but the letters on your forum name are white, and not blue.
Same reasons as me perhaps?

I didn't click on "Show the blue Career Officer writing" or whatever the option is, and now I don't know how to change it. I can't find it anywhere.

I also don't really care - so some people don't know I'm a lifer - big whoop. Whether I'm a lifer or not, people aren't going to judge what I've written any differently. And if they are, then the problem lies with them.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-23-2012, 03:12 AM
(Sorry for double-post )

Moderators: please delete if possible.

(In the meantime, here is a joke for us all:

Q) What do you call a Klingon with fishermen on his head?

A) Wharf (Worf)

Hey, I never said it a was good joke...)
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskiblu
I'm done, I'm fed up with it.

Lock boxes, F2P, etc. whatever. This is a game with a Star Trek skin, but it's as shallow as a kid's swimming pool. I can't express my frustration with the lack of Star Trek feel. How it fails to create a character, how I see 100 ships all flying about in a non-trek fashion. I came back for five minutes and decided I was done with it. I've played flash Star Trek games better than this.

And I'm a lifetime sub.

How is this being passed off for a game? I can't even recommend any improvements because it feels too far gone. I know there are a ton of posts like this, but I think there needs to be a done of posts like this. I loved this game for the ships and trek feel, but when it was released it felt more like Trek than it does now. Now it feels like a poor man's version of a stock market. And only a poor man because you have to spend an arm and a leg to get the latest and greatest.

Back to Star Wars where I actually feel the universe sinking in.
1. TOR sucks, content blows, and I don't feel like a Jedi just a trained murderer.
2. Give me your account if you aren't going to play, I'll make use of it.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:

Lock boxes, F2P, etc. whatever. This is a game with a Star Trek skin, but it's as shallow as a kid's swimming pool. I can't express my frustration with the lack of Star Trek feel. How it fails to create a character, how I see 100 ships all flying about in a non-trek fashion. I came back for five minutes and decided I was done with it. I've played flash Star Trek games better than this.

And I'm a lifetime sub.

How is this being passed off for a game? I can't even recommend any improvements because it feels too far gone. I know there are a ton of posts like this, but I think there needs to be a done of posts like this. I loved this game for the ships and trek feel, but when it was released it felt more like Trek than it does now. Now it feels like a poor man's version of a stock market. And only a poor man because you have to spend an arm and a leg to get the latest and greatest.

Have just been in this game a week or so and that was due to the F2P option which i like because it alows myself to try a game, see if it works with my computer and overall see if i'm going to waste my money or not frankly. If i like a game then i will donate as i have done with STO so far.

Lock boxes doesn't fit in with the Star Trek way, that i can agree with even as a new person to this game.

Most games are as shallow as a kids swimming pool these days and SWTOR is no exception as i have just come from there and two months of playing is all i could stand before the shallowness got to me. I personally think most games have ended up in the wrong direction these days which is why most of us are unhappy and flickering between this game and that game. What happened to the good old MMORPGs where you could play for years, not two months like MMO games are these days. Good luck with SWTOR though, not my cup of tea.
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venatacia
Have just been in this game a week or so and that was due to the F2P option which i like because it alows myself to try a game, see if it works with my computer and overall see if i'm going to waste my money or not frankly. If i like a game then i will donate as i have done with STO so far.

Lock boxes doesn't fit in with the Star Trek way, that i can agree with even as a new person to this game.

Most games are as shallow as a kids swimming pool these days and SWTOR is no exception as i have just come from there and two months of playing is all i could stand before the shallowness got to me. I personally think most games have ended up in the wrong direction these days which is why most of us are unhappy and flickering between this game and that game. What happened to the good old MMORPGs where you could play for years, not two months like MMO games are these days. Good luck with SWTOR though, not my cup of tea.
EA killed that game. For me that was SWG.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:

And I'm a lifetime sub.

I don't know.... STO has that desperate money grab feel to it I've come to expect from the franchise when CBS or whomever is actually in charge wants the revenue but the cow is giving any milk......

EDIT: Closed because "I Quit" threads are not allowed. We hope to see you back again sometime soon! -BranFlakes
Closed Thread