Lt. Commander
You have read that correctly.

After a year of being in production, we at the SF41 have decided to release the first part of the novel to the public.

The Basic Plot

The story starts out with the player taking on the role of a female character named Kaliena. The character is sent to Vulcan by her Commanding Officer to give her a reduced assignment because she is pregnant, and Starfleet Command does not want to have a pregnant Captain in a war zone. She is to report to a Vulcan Scientist to work on an assignment of upmost importance. The player returns home to Vulcan to tell her parents that she is pregnant and plans to marry her Bajoran lover Utta Dyrus.

Upon returning home Kaliena soon discovers that her father is the Vulcan Scientist she has been assign to work with on Vulcan.

The story so far, is divided into six Acts. This part takes the player through Act 1 to Act 2 Scene 2. The next part of release will start at Act 2 Scene 2.

A Long Story

This story is intended to be a long story. The first act is mainly exposition to establish who the characters are and why they are there. Act 2 is there to establish the plot of the story and lead the character to Act 3.

In Act 2, the character will have to start to learn from the environment and develop strategies to solve certain problems that prevent them from completing their assignment. The story is not designed for the casual player or a person who desires to jump in and out of a story for the purpose of dilithium ore mining.

The running time to play The first part is about 2 hours. Emote Dice rolling is required and built-in to the story.

Thank you and have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
You have read that correctly.

After a year of being in production, we at the SF41 have decided to release the first part of the novel to the public.

The Basic Plot

The story starts out with the player taking on the role of a female character named Kaliena.
Wow, you really lost me there. I was looking forward to this, but I was looking forward to playing the mission with *my* character...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Wow, you really lost me there. I was looking forward to this, but I was looking forward to playing the mission with *my* character...
Agreed with the Nagus. I was interested, very much so. Right up until I read that. So, I'm probably not even going to play it , as restricting me from my own character would have me rating you very low. better I think to just not play, so you are spared at least one low rating.
Lt. Commander
I am sorry to hear you will not be able to play Call of Cthulhu because the story takes the view of a female character. Call of Cthulhu is our desire to move away from stories that are combat driven and to much of a cookie-cutter story.

We at the SF41 feel that there are plenty of those kinds of stories on the Foundry already, and we have already produced enough short stories that do not take on a point of view.

However, I think it is sad that people cannot find it in themselves to step outside of their norm. The art of true role play is to play the story and take on a character that challenges you. Sometimes we will have to take on roles as female toons. I am a female and I have had to play many stories on the Foundry that are written from a male perspective, even when the writer attempts to be neutral to gender, I do not find it to be a good story.

Most good stories and good movies must take a point of view to get down to a personal story. A story requires a hero, and the hero must take on the challenges and villains unique to that hero.

I think of it as an actor playing a role for a Star Trek Episode. Roleplaying is not any different.

However, if you do find the time to review the story, I would like to think you would enjoy it.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
I am sorry to hear you will not be able to play Call of Cthulhu because the story takes the view of a female character. Call of Cthulhu is our desire to move away from stories that are combat driven and to much of a cookie-cutter story.
It has nothing to do with the character being female. There are other Foundry missions that are heavily story based and not combat driven(like you just said your goal was) that dont try to tell me who my character is for me.

Quote:
Most good stories and good movies must take a point of view to get down to a personal story.
And in video games where players create their own characters rather than having the character created for them, this is done through the personal story of the characters they encounter in the missions.

I've been hoping someone would create some Lovecraft themed missions for some time now, but unfortunately this is not what I had in mind. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
I am of the opinion that not every story needs to be designed they way you prefer it to be.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
I am of the opinion that not every story needs to be designed they way you prefer it to be.

Thank you.
"The way I prefer" is simply the way MMOs are designed to be played. You create your *own* character, not have someone else create it for you. That said, you are completely entitled to your opinion. I'm just glad that most Foundry authors(not to mention the Devs) do not share it, because there would be no point in creating our own characters in the first place if the missions we played completely disregarded what we had created and said they were something else. Oh; and you are very welcome
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Consider this as a real holonovel. Not a mission or assignment you play through your character. Here your in game character plays a role game. The programmd holo chars play along like they did in the episodes dealing with the holodeck.
Lt. Commander
Call of Cthulhu story is a personal story that is on a grand scale. The heroine is going to do some scenes on a personal level where she will have some romantic scenes and intimate moments. A cookie cutter style story format won't work. This is especially true since the heroine is pregnant.

If you place a male character into the story, the essential core problems the character is faced with and has to deal with will not be able to be played by a male toon.

Also, this is not my first story. This is my 12 or 13 story so far. In this show we wanted to do this story in this specific format for people that wanted to play these type of stories because there are very few of them in the game.

Also, when we write these stories, we do them live on set with the other writers and roleplayers in Star Trek Online. Much of the story is developed organically over along period of time. In play testing, many players did not have any problem with the main character being a female toon. We play tested the show with male players who had no desire to play a female heroine, but they came away with a good experience.

I do not see it as any different then playing a Tomb Raider game where the lead character is Lara Croft. or Bloodrayne where the lead Vampyl is a female toon.

Not every Foundry story has to be a cookie cutter, go here and shoot that style of story.

All stories have to provide the four needs, which in psychology are referred to as the four F's (feeding, fighting, fleeing, Mating).

This story provides all those needs which sets up the psychological drive or motivation in the story.

One of the flaws I see in many stories on the foundry is that they never capture any emotion with the characters. This story is our attempt to move away from that and chart a new course for us as writers.

Call of Cthulhu and Terror and the Patch are designed for players who like to read novels like Dracula or Tales of Two Cities. The stories are designed to be spoken out loud with Ventrilo and Vivox so people can have fun with the voice acting.

However, I think our stories are the strongest stories on the Foundry to date. You actually have to think about things in the two novels.

At its core, Star Trek is about being bold... and that is what we want to be in our story telling. Also, it is our way of telling a non-linear story with a linear tool set.

Also, I think that this story fits the Lovecraft model of story telling. In his time, the story was not celebrated by all, nor was it read by all. It survived over time because it was unique. And, if a person professes to be a H.P. Lovecraft fan, then I would think who the character is would be irrelevant. If the player is truly using the Foundry for story telling and adventure, then why not just be whimsical and play the story the writer wrote.

I like to think of our stories as hidden treasures in the game and the Foundry.

And for those who think the story is to deep or complex, we are making animated movie versions.

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't think anyone is arguing with you on that. But you're approaching the Foundry like a novel, rather than a video game. The point of a video game, its core uniqueness, is the player interaction. You're right in that a lot of games assign you a character. But you have control over them, and can dictate their actions. In STO and games like it, one of the ways a player exercises control is by creating their own character.

It is jarring when that control is taken away, or outright ignored. Stories can be made very strong without locking in a character to a specific name or class or gender. In a video game, especially one that allows character customization, such 'strength' dependent on a character being one specific thing strikes me as a shallowness of writing.

The caveat in this is that I haven't played the mission. I'm all for experimentation, and will be running it when I return from work. A more in-depth and backed review will be forthcoming, more than likely.