Lt. Commander
# 191
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
To reset your password you need to actually log out of the STO website. You can't reset unless you completely logout - and once you logout you can't post to the forum any more until you reset your password to get back into the STO website.

If you logged out and reset and put your new password into the forum, and it let you log back in and post on the forum again, then you are simply typing your password incorrectly in the launcher when trying to get into the game.

Your account was created in Match 2010. It doesn't matter if you were playing in December or not. You account was on file then.
I think I said that... <chuckle>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2448
STILL CAN'T GET IN
lucky I am not doing STF event but doing duty chain missions
I best be able to get back on by tomorrow
What he said above...

Do you have a PWE account??

If so... then perhaps the situation may not apply to you.
Lt. Commander
# 192
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Yep, when I click on the password link provided in the OP, I am sent to http://www.startrekonline.com/frontpage.
Lt. Commander
# 193
04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianalliance View Post
Try calling Cryptic. I had to call Blizzard once for a similar reason and he just changed my email in their records over the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therunn
you could try sending an email to webmaster@crypticstudios.com
Thank you for taking the time to reply We'll give that a shot...
Lt. Commander
# 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
Probably that Cryptic didn't hash the password database or didn't do it with a strong enough algorithm and compromised all our passwords.

Inexcusable.
Or, far more likely: Lots of customers use passwords that are insecure and may be subject to brute force hacking to determine their original passwords. There are a slew of cryptanalysis techniques that don't require a weak encryption algorithm in order to be able to discover weak passwords.
Lt. Commander
# 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Increased security checks and vigilant customer service revealed a pattern of account hacking that suggested an unauthorized access, which upon further investigation and analysis, apparently occurred in December 2010. As soon as this pattern became clear, Cryptic reset passwords on all affected accounts.
Ok.... so what are affected users going to receive in compensation for your screw ups?
Lt. Commander
# 196
04-25-2012, 06:35 PM
What will thay do to fix this I can't get in game I have A fleet to run
Lt. Commander
# 197
04-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi Captains,

If you are getting redirected to the frontpage, please log out of your account and then use the provided links:

www.startrekonline.com/user/password
www.champions-online.com/user/password

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 198
04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Cryptic is vigilant at protecting your account security and privacy. We have no data to suggest that the unauthorized access continued beyond December 2010, and increased security protections had already been instituted after that time. To protect your account information, we encourage you to be especially aware of e-mail and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Cryptic will not contact you in any way, including by e-mail, asking for your credit card number, social security number, or any other personally identifiable information. We recommend that you use very secure passwords at all times, and not share your account information with anyone.
Some good advice, of course.

This being said, will Cryptic be issuing an apology specifically to the people who reported their accounts being hacked, and had brushed them off as having fallen victim to keyloggers, trojans, phishing scams, and anything except a problem on Cryptic's end?
Lt. Commander
# 199
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Increased security checks and vigilant customer service revealed a pattern of account hacking that suggested an unauthorized access, which upon further investigation and analysis, apparently occurred in December 2010. As soon as this pattern became clear, Cryptic reset passwords on all affected accounts.
Does the phrase "shutting the barn door after the horses are gone" mean anything to you? This is by far the absolute worst frak up on Cryptic's part to date. In-game problems are one thing, but this is just downright screwed up.

Why weren't such security checks and "vigilant" CS already in place since you have been trusted with our billing addresses and credit card numbers?

The level of incompetence displayed here is downright disgusting.

What steps have you taken/will be taking to ensure that a screw up of this magnitude will not happen in the future? Also, what will you be doing to compensate those who have been affected by your epic lapse in security?
Lt. Commander
# 200
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
Probably that Cryptic didn't hash the password database or didn't do it with a strong enough algorithm and compromised all our passwords.

Inexcusable.
To be fair, you never know how secure any sort of security is until it's cracked.

This being said, see my last post.
Closed Thread