Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
# 11
04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing with you on that. But you're approaching the Foundry like a novel, rather than a video game. The point of a video game, its core uniqueness, is the player interaction. You're right in that a lot of games assign you a character. But you have control over them, and can dictate their actions. In STO and games like it, one of the ways a player exercises control is by creating their own character.

It is jarring when that control is taken away, or outright ignored. Stories can be made very strong without locking in a character to a specific name or class or gender. In a video game, especially one that allows character customization, such 'strength' dependent on a character being one specific thing strikes me as a shallowness of writing.

The caveat in this is that I haven't played the mission. I'm all for experimentation, and will be running it when I return from work. A more in-depth and backed review will be forthcoming, more than likely.
Yes, the point of doing this show was we wanted to make it more novel like with game elements. In this game, although some players like total control of their character in the mission they play, it is not a requirement nor is it a contract to the Foundry authors to produce a story in that format.

This story is designed to mimic how we as a role play group actually play STO in the game with emote dice rolling with 5 people in the cast.

If people can relate to what we do, that is good, and if they do not, that is good too.

The main character in the story is pregnant, that limits the gender. It also forces some limitations on the character. Call of Cthulhu is not like any other story on the Foundry. It is unique, and so is Terror in the Patch.

Thank you.