Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
It's not as good as the Guramba and it's not a T5.

Which is basically the same ship, with more features.


While I'd much prefer the T5 Akira to pretty much be the +1 Fleet Escort, I'm not opposed to a +1 Fleet Escort.


Although I'm not a fan of the Lt Comm Eng slot, and feel the current layout is one of the better Escort BOFF layouts in the game.
Isn't LT Comm the same or better than LT+ Ensign?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
It's not as good as the Guramba and it's not a T5.
Evidently it is a T5 and the Guramba is not an escort but more a Hybrid Cruiser Escort that falls into the destroyer class of KDF vessels.
It has the same BOff layout, console, devices and even turn rate as the Garumba. The Only difference is the garumba has the siege mode, a lance attack and ever slightly more hull and shields.
The FE can mount cannons while the Garumba can only mount up to dual cannons.
So what special effect from the genre is missing as far as the FE is concerned that would prioritize it for a +1 design?
Surely not just a simple as its not as good as..... Cuase frankly its a great escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magniacapra
Isn't LT Comm the same or better than LT+ Ensign?
Well, its better if you really want some of the higher tier Eng powers - but in general I dislike the lower tier Tac slots (Lt & Ensign) that will be part of the package (for example, the MVAE although the MVAE is special in that the Sci powers can add quite a lot to the build).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post

Evidently it is a T5
You're right, I goofed there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
and the Guramba is not an escort but more a Hybrid Cruiser Escort that falls into the destroyer class of KDF vessels.
Semantics, unless you're arguing that Feds should finally get another class of vessels?

The Guramaba is everything the Fleet Escort is +more. No reason there can't be a +1 C store version of the Fleet Escort.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
It has the same BOff layout, console, devices and even turn rate as the Garumba. The Only difference is the garumba has the siege mode, a lance attack and ever slightly more hull and shields.
Yeah, so basically everything the Fleet Escort is but better.

That's what you get when you pay Cpoints. Fine, now there can be a +1 FE for the store as well.

Works for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The FE can mount cannons while the Garumba can only mount up to dual cannons.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Guramba can mount DCs and DHCs, which are the premier damage dealing weapons for ships in this class.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
So what special effect from the genre is missing as far as the FE is concerned that would prioritize it for a +1 design?
Surely not just a simple as its not as good as..... Cuase frankly its a great escort.
Just not as good as the Guramba.

I should know, because I have both.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
[quote=Roach;4184069]
Quote:

The FE can mount cannons while the Garumba can only mount up to dual cannons.
Both the FE and the Garumba can mount the same weapon types. I should know this, I run both, and use pretty much the same setup:

4x DHC
3xTurret (or 2x turret and 1x Beam array/Torp)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post

Both the FE and the Garumba can mount the same weapon types. I should know this, I run both, and use pretty much the same setup:

4x DHC
3xTurret (or 2x turret and 1x Beam array/Torp)
Really? STOwiki says Dual cannons.
Still the question remains.
What special need would a +1 Fleet escort fill? What special effect or ability is it missing from the genre in its current form to qualify it for a +1 design.
For example teh Defiant-R was designed top fulfill its prescence as seen in the shows (and it does it well).
How is the Fleet lacking in that respect? Why not rather build some of teh other missing escorts from the genre instead?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Really? STOwiki says Dual cannons.
STOwiki is incorrect then, I run 3xDHCs (Disruptor, of course ) on my Guramba.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Still the question remains.
What special need would a +1 Fleet escort fill? What special effect or ability is it missing from the genre in its current form to qualify it for a +1 design.
For example teh Defiant-R was designed top fulfill its prescence as seen in the shows (and it does it well).
How is the Fleet lacking in that respect? Why not rather build some of teh other missing escorts from the genre instead?
I agree we should see some of the other escorts first.

On the other hand, if you've bought the extra costumes I can see why players would like to see an upgrade to their ship rather then see it passed by - and getting passed by is a real concern for any ship, just take a look at the completely outclassed and obsolete Galaxy-R.


The Fleet Escort doesn't have any preconceived design to fill except what has been laid out in the game - which is nice. Unlike a lot of other ships that many players feel should have X or Y ability, the Fleet is open space and has a nice Engineering slant and there currently is no +1 Engineering slanted Escort.


So maybe the T5 Akira can finally be that hybrid destroyer that the Federation lineup is lacking and the +1 FE could be the Engineering counterpart to the MVAE as the OP proposed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
STOwiki is incorrect then, I run 3xDHCs (Disruptor, of course ) on my Guramba.




I agree we should see some of the other escorts first.

On the other hand, if you've bought the extra costumes I can see why players would like to see an upgrade to their ship rather then see it passed by - and getting passed by is a real concern for any ship, just take a look at the completely outclassed and obsolete Galaxy-R.


The Fleet Escort doesn't have any preconceived design to fill except what has been laid out in the game - which is nice. Unlike a lot of other ships that many players feel should have X or Y ability, the Fleet is open space and has a nice Engineering slant and there currently is no +1 Engineering slanted Escort.


So maybe the T5 Akira can finally be that hybrid destroyer that the Federation lineup is lacking and the +1 FE could be the Engineering counterpart to the MVAE as the OP proposed.
All good answers. I as said before I am unconcerned as to wether the FE gets a +1 version, especially for the Cstore but was very curiuos as to the reasoning behind such a request.
Is not the FE already an ENgineering heavy design? It is described as such for an escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
All good answers. I as said before I am unconcerned as to wether the FE gets a +1 version, especially for the Cstore but was very curiuos as to the reasoning behind such a request.
Is not the FE already an ENgineering heavy design? It is described as such for an escort.
It is, and I really like the current BOFF layout.

I'm not really excited about the idea in the OP but it does make a bit of sense if we look at the Adv Escort > MVAE layout changes.

An Engineering, slightly tanky, special mode or special console would definitely be nice thematically and mechanics wise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Really? STOwiki says Dual cannons.
Still the question remains.
What special need would a +1 Fleet escort fill? What special effect or ability is it missing from the genre in its current form to qualify it for a +1 design.
For example teh Defiant-R was designed top fulfill its prescence as seen in the shows (and it does it well).
How is the Fleet lacking in that respect? Why not rather build some of teh other missing escorts from the genre instead?
The version I posted doubles down even more on engineering in a way the MVAE did to the adv escort.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.