Lt. Commander
# 21
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
Examples: some new class of Borg vessel, super drone, or mini-queen.
(Emphasis mine.) Now I'm picturing a Borg version of the girl from The Ring. You owe me the week's worth of lost sleep that just cost me.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Funny, I am seeing Mini-me from Austins Powers.

Never use the suffix "mini" on a villain.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
A couple of background factoids:

1) Champions Online recently got the uber cool "Alert" system:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595689

2) Dan said we are getting this system too:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...53#post4181753

3) It was just announced on the Champs site that they are having a "design a villain" contest, and the winners will actually be made in game as villains you fight in "Alerts":

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595714

With all of that in mind, I wonder if such a thing would ever be possible for STO's "Alerts"? Considering you fight factions in STO rather than single villains(for the most part), it might have to be something along the lines of designing a new species that is hostile and attacks, or maybe even some kind of epic villain like Khan. What do you think would make sense in STO?
The current Buffy the Vampire type one and done villains that STO has been throwing at us thus far are just not cutting it.

We need a villain or a coalition of villains that can be equally troublesome for both factions something like a shadow syndicate.

We also need villains that are smart enough to have all the bases covered and that includes an escape plan.

The shadow syndicate could be comprised of some of our existing NPCs or perhaps their mirror verse counterparts (they would not be revealed for quite some time)

We could make villains that players would love to hate.

List of possible villains:

1. James Kurland
2. Stass
3. Akira Sulu
4. Amar Singh
5. Atonone
6. Commander Kovek
7. Damar Kahn
8. Hidgirb
9. Hemek
10. Cleveland

If we really wanted to push the envelope one of the villains could be the mirror counterpart of the player themselves.

The thing is we’d need good back stories that would support the reasons for the above turning on their respective factions and the ultimate purpose of their organization.

The syndicate could employ most of the throw away NPC races that we have in game to do their bidding.

A good villain or a collection of villains would take a lot of time and effort to develop and development is one of the areas that STO always comes up short in.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Anything suggested will just likely end up in a lockbox if Geko has anything to do ŵith it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
The current Buffy the Vampire type one and done villains that STO has been throwing at us thus far are just not cutting it.

We need a villain or a coalition of villains that can be equally troublesome for both factions something like a shadow syndicate.

We also need villains that are smart enough to have all the bases covered and that includes an escape plan.

The shadow syndicate could be comprised of some of our existing NPCs or perhaps their mirror verse counterparts (they would not be revealed for quite some time)

We could make villains that players would love to hate.

List of possible villains:

1. James Kurland
2. Stass
3. Akira Sulu
4. Amar Singh
5. Atonone
6. Commander Kovek
7. Damar Kahn
8. Hidgirb
9. Hemek
10. Cleveland

If we really wanted to push the envelope one of the villains could be the mirror counterpart of the player themselves.

The thing is we’d need good back stories that would support the reasons for the above turning on their respective factions and the ultimate purpose of their organization.

The syndicate could employ most of the throw away NPC races that we have in game to do their bidding.

A good villain or a collection of villains would take a lot of time and effort to develop and development is one of the areas that STO always comes up short in.
James Kurland makes sense - would account for the number of times he lost DS9 to 'agressor of the week'.

As for developing a good villan - they already made a start, as I noted earlier, with the Iconians.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01
James Kurland makes sense - would account for the number of times he lost DS9 to 'agressor of the week'.

As for developing a good villan - they already made a start, as I noted earlier, with the Iconians.
I'm not so enthused about the Iconian idea. To me they have a petty "freak of the week" feel and would require convoluted and contrived justifications for their victories and losses alike.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie30
how about the androids from mudd's planet?

one million "Stella's" running amuck
HAAARRRRCCOOUURRRTT!

They could be led by Lore.

(Actually I do like the idea of Lore's return.)

Another idea is the return of Sybok. Star Trek V was a flawed film, but his character could be good. Instead of the typical, and boring, militaristic enemy — he would use his psychological/mental trickery to co-opt Federation planets. Imagine how tricky it could be to deal with Federation facilities/planets/people who have joined with him. It would be more interesting than "blast the ugly monster".

Sybok could offer a chance at moral ambiguity, which makes stories interesting. How much will the Federation risk in terms of health/welfare to take back "its" planet/people? How will the Prime Directive be complicated? Will the claim that Sybok has brainwashed people be a convenient excuse?

The problem with this, of course, is that people would compare it to religious conflict and make a fuss.

The problem with Lore is that, with Dr. Soong being dead, the source of his rage has been arguably extinguished. Even if Data comes back it would feel strained to make jealousy the source of his rage.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuriciodide
HAAARRRRCCOOUURRRTT!

They could be led by Lore.

(Actually I do like the idea of Lore's return.)

Another idea is the return of Sybok. Star Trek V was a flawed film, but his character could be good. Instead of the typical, and boring, militaristic enemy — he would use his psychological/mental trickery to co-opt Federation planets. Imagine how tricky it could be to deal with Federation facilities/planets/people who have joined with him. It would be more interesting than "blast the ugly monster".

Sybok could offer a chance at moral ambiguity, which makes stories interesting. How much will the Federation risk in terms of health/welfare to take back "its" planet/people? How will the Prime Directive be complicated? Will the claim that Sybok has brainwashed people be a convenient excuse?

The problem with this, of course, is that people would compare it to religious conflict and make a fuss.

The problem with Lore is that, with Dr. Soong being dead, the source of his rage has been arguably extinguished. Even if Data comes back it would feel strained to make jealousy the source of his rage.
I supported the return of Lore a long time ago but other players kept harping on that Lore had been destroyed.

Lore was never destroyed; he was beaten by Data, deactivated and disassembled but not destroyed.

I’ve supported the idea of Cryptic simply recasting the Lore character and have a story supporting his change of appearance.

Cryptic cannot use the likeness of the actors that portrayed the characters but they can use the characters themselves.

Bringing Lore back with a new appearance would be a great move and there would be very little back story needed for Lore 2.0.

The Orion Syndicate could have stolen Lore’s disassembled parts and reassembled him.

And now that there’s no Data to stand in his way, Lore’s quest for destruction of the Federation and universal domination can begin anew.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
So we get to confront Cryptic in our starships?