Lt. Commander
# 1 Sabotage In STFs
04-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi

If you had suggested to me even a few weeks ago that such a thing as deliberate sabotage in STFs took place I probably would have just assumed to was the usual complaints about inexperienced people joining missions and not knowing what they were doing.

But over the last couple of weeks I have seen several instances where inexperience does not account for the actions that some people have taken within STFs, and the only thing that could explain it is a deliberate act to ruin the game for other people, for reasons I cannot even begin to guess.

In case you think that maybe I am just mistaking inexperience for something more "sinister", in the most recent case during an Infected Elite the player in question destroyed two of the Nanite generators while we were still killing the cube and THEN proceded to the right hand side to kill Generators while we where still clearing up the mess on the left. All attempts to communicate where ignored.

The final straw for me (and hence this post) was being on DS9 and reading Zone chat about a player who had done the same as above in another of my STFs who had done the same to other people in another.

I also found out today that this was people mean when they refer to people as a "Troll". I had heard the term before, but until today always assumed it was just another unpleasent term like "Noob" for people who were not very experienced.

I personally don't mind if I end up in a team with inexperienced players, as long as everyone does there best and we get there in the end, but I object in the strongest way possible to being in a game (I love) to have a little fun and people can come in just to deliberatly ruin it for the rest of the team, and then afterwards there is absolutly NOTHING that we can do about it!

I do not know which is more disturbing, the fact that there are people who would do such a thing, or that they would do it so much that a term had to be devised for them.

If the developers care anything about the happiness of their players (and in a more cynical moment I could point out that happy players will part with their money more easily) then we should have some way of doing somehting about, and making sure that there is a "penalty" of sorts for such action.

The only real idea I could come up personally would be an option withing the mission to "report" such tactics (you could even call it "Conduct unbecoming an officer"), if ALL 4 of the rest of the team hit the report option on a player then they get removed from that game (I would rather try to carry on with only 4 than have them there) and they are banned for ALL STFs for a longer period, somewhere between 6-24 hours.

As things stand at the moment they can just jump from STF to STF and ruin everyones enjoyment, for what ever sick and twisted motives they have. Hell, maybe they work for a rival game company trying to make people in this game unhappy? Makes as much sense as any other reason I can come up with!

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I was just upset to find out that things like that would go on in the game and wanted to get it off my chest :-)

Kevin
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2012, 11:42 AM
you get the same thing in fleet actions
someone spamming mines to the point no one else can SEE
Someone multifiring at a bunch of battle ships and leading them back to the respawn area
you know jerks
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Perhaps a system whereby a player can be kicked if all or a majority of other team members vote to kick that player could be implemented? I've seen some horrible things in elite STF's. My brother and I run a lot of them together and we are usually prepared to pick up the slack when we get inexperienced players or when a player ignores all communication and destroys something out of turn making the whole mission harder for everyone else. That being said, it would be great to be able to kick someone who is about to blow a gate or cube early (it would take some quick coordination to realize they are going to do it and kick them ahead of time) or at the very least be able to boot them after they've blown said object/ship. As it is, all I can do now is berate them for ruining everything and sometimes getting me killed.

As far as communication goes, though, I wonder how many players do not read English. That, of course, in turn makes me wonder how they manage to play a game with everything in English...and the occasional Klingon... Or maybe players just ignore the chat box or have it turned off? I don't know...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Seperate queues in German might help
the number of times I have wound up on a fleet action with two or more Germans is stupid

No one can understand each other (German is not taught in my original country )
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Welcome to griefer country, Eve Online is coming to STO.

Grieving happens because mechanics allow it. Thank Cryptic for leaver's penalty and long spawn time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree with you on this there is only a select few but they are ruining the STF's

they will eventualy get caught and then banned

best thing to do is report when it hapens

give cryptic the handle of the individual doing this so they can watch player

you have to understand this what happens with sandbox players
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2448
I agree with you on this there is only a select few but they are ruining the STF's

they will eventualy get caught and then banned

best thing to do is report when it hapens

give cryptic the handle of the individual doing this so they can watch player

you have to understand this what happens with sandbox players
Hey now, they're only doing what Cryptic intended for them to do, why else would they introduce leaver's penalty that serves no purpose? They do this because mechanics allow them to.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I've found that playing at certain times helps. I no longer do STF's on the weekends and keep it to evenings on the weekdays, generally after 9pm CST.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
This is happening a lot lately and its very intentional
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
But. . .who would do such a thing?