Lt. Commander
# 11
04-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I've seen people make mistakes and do dumb things, I've seen people refust to play sitting in start, but I've not seen some one go out of their way to intentionally ruin a run or grief a PUG outside the verbal. I hope I dn't encounter that sort of behaviour. The typical PUG runs can be frustrating enough as it is after a while.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Just for clarification (mainly for those new to mmo gaming, as I see incorrect usage of the terms to describe the wrong player type in these types of situations):

Troll: A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

Greifer: A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players.

Noob: Plural of n00b. A new player, generally of a video game, that is unskilled and refuses to acknowledge this fact. There IS a difference between n00bs and newbies, and that is that newbies can and do learn.

With that in-mind, the best solution to avoid greifers is to join private matches with friends when you can or join the NormalSTF or EliteSTF channels in game to get a group of players together, I have run a lot of stfs with the people in the elite stf channel and can vouch for them being able to help you get your runs in with success (there have been in the past where greifers would join but for the most part they have been put on our ignore lists and never made it into another round with us)

I do agree that its a major issue in pugs (not just within sto but many other games and not just mmos) when you just want to jump in and play, but all you can do for the most part is at least work with the people willing to communicate and get the missions done, keep each other alive and let the greifer punish themselves by doing all the work for you (if and when they leave, its them who will get the penalty since that only applies to the first two that leave a public match).

On that note I do hope you find a group of players you can game on a regular basis and have fun, we are a community and for those willing to learn and are not rude and disrespectful there are fleets and individuals willing to help.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
It seems some people don't care about the optional and will intentionally make the optional fail for the rest of the group so they can 'get on with the mission', regardless of whether the other team members are trying for it.

Poor sportsmanship (or playership - whatever), honestly.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I like the ability to kick a player from a STF, if a player gets kicked he should get a 24hour ban form stfs and ifhe gets three in a month ban him form the game for 24 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
It would be nice if there were a simple way to report griefers - other MMOs have it. Get enough reports and the griefers are banned temporarily, or even permanently if they continue.

A kick mechanism, imo, would be abused. The mechanics of the game, and the leaver penalty are fine.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2410 View Post
The only real idea I could come up personally would be an option withing the mission to "report" such tactics (you could even call it "Conduct unbecoming an officer"), if ALL 4 of the rest of the team hit the report option on a player then they get removed from that game (I would rather try to carry on with only 4 than have them there) and they are banned for ALL STFs for a longer period, somewhere between 6-24 hours.
Kevin, I know what you are going thru, because I used to go thru the same problem. Where someone on the team was either a Greifer, couldn’t speak the language, shouldn’t be in an Elite, or whatever. Ever since I came across the STF chat channels in STO my experiences in the STF have gotten a lot better.

PUG an STF and it can be nothing but trouble and can also be very educational, but a private fleet action has three benefits, I’ll only tell you two of them, 1.) You can invite people you want to invite from the STF Chat Channel or wherever, 2.) If someone you invite from the STF Chat Channel turns out to be a Greifer or just doesn’t listen to anything you can put them on ignore and you will never see them in the STF Chat Channel again (But I usually never do this.), and 3.) I’ll keep that one to myself.

Reporting anyone for "Conduct unbecoming an officer", would be abused just like the “Report Spam” is already abused. It is a good idea, but where there are people that would Greif, you would also have people who would falsely report people just because they disagree with each other.

Reporting anyone for anything can be and is abused like in the foundry mission “Report Violation” or in chat “Report Spam”, this one has been done to me a couple of times and once that I know of was by my former fleet that was a little p1$$ed I left and the fleet leader had himself and few others report me as spam, so I find myself silenced for 24 hours after not chatting at all and not doing anything wrong.

So reporting anyone for anything will be abused; example “Oh that user took two seconds longer then they should have, everyone report the user for “Conduct unbecoming an officer.””

I am sorry you are having some bad experiences in the STF, but reporting anyone would be abused.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Funny - I felt bad earlier, as participated in Cure Space (Normal) but had to bail, as was on my lunchbreak from work and needed to get back to work. Sad that this sort of thing occurs 'on purpose' though.

Many thanks to thevipersfang, if he posts here - was VERY helpful during the mission (when I wound up with more Borg BOP's than I could handle) and understood when I apologised for having to bail.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeion View Post
I like the ability to kick a player from a STF, if a player gets kicked he should get a 24hour ban form stfs and ifhe gets three in a month ban him form the game for 24 hours.
Yeah, cause that definitely wouldn't ever be abused by those same griefers and trolls. Certainly not, cause everyone is an honest, decent player .. er, uh, well, except those greifers and trolls ....

If you don't like dealing with jackasses in pick up groups, then DON'T PUG! Form your own groups. Then you have absolute control over who you play the game with. If you aren't willing to put in the effort to find a group of nice, decent people, then you don't have the right to complain.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
simple solution to everything STF Related;

Make newbies run normal STF's forcibly at least 10 or 20 times before they can EVER, _______EVER________ participate in an Elite run.

The basic math for cryptic is already there since the accolades will keep a good count on how many times people ran an STF.

At this time, running Elite Cure with pugging is just basically asking for trouble. and failure.
We players dont deserve to be put in an Elite STF with others who are just not up to the task, and to be blunt, are just newbs.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-30-2012, 10:47 AM
How about limiting people to doing these operations a MAXIMUM of say three a day (regardless of how many characters they have)