Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
Alright.

So you haven't played my mission... I'm fairly certain, anyway.

You make snap judgements about someone because they prefer to use a more all-encompassing term like MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online [game is implied]) instead of specifically an RPG version of it.

You bandy about terms such as the five elements of drama, not realizing that the form to which they refer is over 1000 years out of date, while not understanding what a Renaissance Man is.

You have displayed nothing but arrogance and contempt for your players, who are trying to help you make a better mission, while still conforming to your goals.

Congrats, you've won, it's no longer worth my time trying to get you to understand my critique.
When I review Foundry stories, I do not look at who wrote them because it does not matter. I take the event or story as the mission was intended to be. I do not even mark a story negative because it has typos.

I look at:

1. Is there a story here?
2. Did the writer intend for there to be a story here?
3. Is this designed to be a straight up action story?
4. Was the event or story fun?
5. Was the story or event interesting?

You keep saying you are done and goodbye, but you keep coming back.

Arrogant is a yes. Content for players is a no. I target my stories for a specific audience. Then I put one hundred percent of my effort to make the story for that group of players.

I made no snap judgement. I believe in principles. I know what I am attempting to do and I know for what reasons I want to write the stories that I do. If a writer cannot use the term MMORPG then they are not real role players and I will not tailor my stories to fit them. that is a principle and not a judgement.

The 5 elements of a story has never been out of date. You need it to be out of date to justify what you do.

In the acronym MMO, the game is not implied. Massive multiplayer online are adjectives. Without the noun they refer to they mean nothing. People do not write stories and specifically leave out the RPG part. People who have no intent of writing a story leave out the rpg part because they do not care to write a story.

Also, arrogant people do not need to seek to be loved by all because they already know they are loved by all. I am a Leo and we are arrogant, pompous, and fixed in our opinions because in the end when all is said and done, we are always right. Because we do things based on principles.

My stories have one thing that you are incapable of creating in a story, my stories have heart and spirit in them. They are based on love and not hate...and that is why you cannot relate.

We are in the Emily Dickinson and Charles Addam (Addams has 2 D's) style of story telling.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 52
04-30-2012, 05:15 AM
I guess you won. You are right, I'm wrong. It is your story for your fleet.

Believe it or not, I actually know Danielle Steele. I watched parts of one of her movie because it featured Bobby Ewing and Cpt Janeway and because my ex GF wanted me to watch it. I don't remember the name of the story but the whole thing made less sense than a Michael Bay flick. While I have all of her books downloaded I never actually dared to read them.
For books, I prefer Dürrenmatt, Camus or Szepes. For television stories J Michael Straczynski and Harlan Ellison. And for both Tom Clancy and few Stephen King (I really dig The Green Mile).
Lt. Commander
# 53 Good for you.
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
I guess you won. You are right, I'm wrong. It is your story for your fleet.

Believe it or not, I actually know Danielle Steele. I watched parts of one of her movie because it featured Bobby Ewing and Cpt Janeway and because my ex GF wanted me to watch it. I don't remember the name of the story but the whole thing made less sense than a Michael Bay flick. While I have all of her books downloaded I never actually dared to read them.
For books, I prefer Dürrenmatt, Camus or Szepes. For television stories J Michael Straczynski and Harlan Ellison. And for both Tom Clancy and few Stephen King (I really dig The Green Mile).
Do you mean Patrick Duffy and Kate Mulgrew?

Danielle Steele makes sense if you are into the genre or style of reading. However, my point of referencing her is that even on TV when they show her movies which are adapted for TV, they tend to tone the story down. But the books are far more explicit, but they are not grotesque.

I love Patricia Cornwall's the most. She really is able to capture emotion in her writing, which is difficult to do. But she is good at setting up the psychological elements that is needed to bring the reader or audience to a catharsis moment.

We are trying to capture that in our stories with the pacing and style we are writing in. Also, we are trying to have strong characters in our story so if the reader walks away from the story knowing or remembering who are characters were that means we were successful in that element of our writing.

A good example of this is the HL6 Mk I unit... if you notice the people who claim they did not like our story or the method we used to present sort of made claims that the story was difficult but then they turned around and made comments about the TL6 Mk1. Whether they liked the scene with the TL6 Mk 1 is not important, but we know as psychologist that they had a strong enough emotional connection with that scene they had to write about it on the forum.

See, this behavior supports the idea that these folks are not even cognizant of the fact they have a strong emotional connection with a character who only had a small scene so far in the show.

This is also true with the G'hea the HL6 Mk 1. It is not important if people understand her or like her, but they had an emotional connection with her. This happens because the player has an imaginary idea of what a vulcan home must be like, so when they are confronted with the physical reality of the vulcan home that is incongruent with their ideas, they have an emotional reaction and send us a comment that we are evil people.

The human brain does not remember things in the long term unless the person had some deep emotional connection with the memory when they encoded the memory.

In this mosaic, we as a reader and audience get to experience this Vulcan family at home and see how they are off duty. Which except for T'Pol, we as fans have never really seen a Vulcan home.

However, we used T'Pol's home as a starting point in our story.

I actually do have a good deal of knowledge and understanding in the Field of Logic. On TV when they portray Mr. Spock, they actually do not do good job in portraying what Logic is and how one goes about using Logic.

So we added into the culture in our show. So we use Aristotelian logic as our starting point and contrast that with Boolean logic. Boolean logic is the method of logic people attempt to portray in Star Trek.

But there is a flaw in that. Boolean logic uses most of Aristotelian logic accept for Rule 5, which requires the idea or thing you are discussing must exist in the universe.

In Boolean logic they removed this rule because the people prescribing the ideals of Logic didn't believe in the existence aspect of Aristotle's rules.

Which essentially removes much of the pagan or religious aspects out of the system of Logic. This is why people have a hard time connecting with Boolean logic.

We felt that in our show we wanted to show that Vulcan's were not carbon copies of each other. And we wanted to show that Logic was not this monolithic slab. Each Vulcan prescribes to a different ideal of logic which is individualized.

In this show you are seeing a young Vulcan who is only 42 years old. Now, 42 is middle-age for humans but it is really young for Vulcans. Vulcans live on the average 270 years. Middle age for a Vulcan is around 140 years old.

We want to show that Vulcan's have slower metabolism because of the climate of the planet Vulcan. Their slower metabolism is the heart of what makes a Vulcan work.

Also, the atmosphere is thinner on Vulcan and the gravity is higher than it is on earth.

It is essential to the story that the main character be Vulcan and female. When you remove that aspect of the story, it makes the entire story a completely different experience.

Our heroine here is coming of age as a Vulcan when she is feeling the pull of the Vulcan heart. It is a critical period for her. So we have to set that up slowly and incrementally over time in the novel so the reader gets a chance to experience that with her.

But because the only way we can convey emotion on the Foundry, we have to write it in dialog and use the animate emotes to help the reader and watcher see that so they can experience it too along with the character in the story. This creates the catharsis moment later on when we reach the climax of the story.

If your viewer/reader/player cannot connect with these aspects of the story, then the story will not be really understood by the audience.

I think it is a mistake for people to not think of these Foundry stories as books, movies, and video game all at the same time. Which means the focal point of aspect of point of view will move where the story dictates it to be. The point of view is a variable aspect in our show. The people who do not want us to do this, they want us to fix the point of view around the main character, but they use the term "player."

We say 'no."

In our story here, the point of view changes and is not fixed. But the main character is fixed. She is fulfilling her destiny.
Lt. Commander
# 54
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Mission is not currently available to play in the Foundry.
I was going to give the "different style" / Holo Novel approach a chance.
When the mission is available, I probably still will.

I will say, expect no feedback or detailed criticism from me, because as evidenced by this thread, you are unwilling to hear anything but people saying how great it is.

i will play the mission. I will judge it fairly. i will give it a rating and I will simply move on.
Most Foundry authors I have come across appreciate the feedback of the community around them, as a way to help improve their own storytelling and Foundry skills.
You are (as evidenced by MANY things you have said above) NOT such an author.

I will either like your creation (which will mean my opinion will be listened to) OR I may find fault with your creation in which case (like others who try and help you) I will be totally ignored.

I will repeat what i said in the 3rd post of this thread.
Ignoring that this is a video game in which I have created MY character to play through missions, and forcing me into the role of YOUR character, is a HUGE detraction from my anticipated enjoyment of the mission.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieJohn View Post
Mission is not currently available to play in the Foundry.
I was going to give the "different style" / Holo Novel approach a chance.
When the mission is available, I probably still will.

I will say, expect no feedback or detailed criticism from me, because as evidenced by this thread, you are unwilling to hear anything but people saying how great it is.

i will play the mission. I will judge it fairly. i will give it a rating and I will simply move on.
Most Foundry authors I have come across appreciate the feedback of the community around them, as a way to help improve their own storytelling and Foundry skills.
You are (as evidenced by MANY things you have said above) NOT such an author.

I will either like your creation (which will mean my opinion will be listened to) OR I may find fault with your creation in which case (like others who try and help you) I will be totally ignored.

I will repeat what i said in the 3rd post of this thread.
Ignoring that this is a video game in which I have created MY character to play through missions, and forcing me into the role of YOUR character, is a HUGE detraction from my anticipated enjoyment of the mission.
We played through it last night with our group while we are writing the script for the next part.
Lt. Commander
# 56 Criticize all you want...
04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I entertain all criticism. However, criticism alone is not the call of action. Just because a producer has already determine by what method or system she will use to make her story to the public, does not mean other people cannot discuss or state why they disagree with that decision.

However, they have to accept that we past the point of the development as to what method we were going to use for Call of Cthulhu.

The only criticism we will use to make changes to the script is cosmetic changes, typos, and dialog issues.

The categories of characters, roles, plot points, settings, game mechanics (dice rolls, puzzles) costume design are not up for debate.

Thank you.

Changes we have made to Call of Cthulhu since this post has been up are:

1.We made corrects to typos that everyone has point out.
2. We fixed the tiling issue so people we not having seizures walking around Vulcan.
3. I added a object point to the map to help people find the over-walk to the shuttle easier.

One change we are working on, but won't be published until Sunday because I have final exams this week is we went in and readjusted the names of the NPC's to be the actual NPCs in Kaliena's crew.

Once we have their back stories more defined then we will change that out in Act 1 to Act 2 Scene 2.

That seem to confuse people as far as point of view or references. I agree that that can be confusing for people that are not reading the story thoroughly. So we are going to align that so it is all Kaliena's people now.

See, we do apply peoples criticism into the story, but we will not sacrifice the purpose of the actual novel. If we do that then we will turn are lovely lady of a Novel into a very cheap scenario or event that others author on the Foundry call stories.

I consider that selling out for popularity.
Lt. Commander
# 57
04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
A few things I would like to touch upon in this fine mess of a subject...

1. If Klytemnetra wants to make a novel out of The Foundry, that's HER choice. We don't have to be all like: "OOMAHGAWDGUIZ! SHEMADEANOVELOUTTADAFOUNDRY!!!! DATSUCCZ!!!"
2.Some of this criticism will help you on future Foundry missions. You are getting a tad defensive over small grammatical errors.

That's all. Carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 58
04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
I am sorry stepping outside of your norm is a big leap for you.

However, I think it is sad that people cannot find it in themselves to step outside of their norm.

Also, this story is designed for players...who are not afraid to go beyond their rigid "my way or the high way" attitudes.

I am sorry that you cannot make the leap that this story requires you to be a young Vulcan women who is pregnant.

Call of Cthulhu is not designed for the neurotic type of personality that has to be in total control. A neurotic type of personality is a person who is someone filled with anxiety and fear. These folks have to have total control. The idea that someone else is going to take over their role and take them on an adventure scares the baa-gee-bees out of them.
Dear Klytemnestra, I think you have the misunderstanding that people critiquing your mission = them insulting you as a person. That is not the case. The fact that I do not enjoy having my character disregarded when playing a mission has absolutely nothing to do with what I think of you as a person. Unfortunately, your comments above(especially the last one) are all examples of you lashing out at the people who are discussing your mission and suggesting negative things about *them* as people. Please get some control of yourself and stop the negative personal comments. Those kinds of comments do absolutely nothing to help the points you are trying to make.
Lt. Commander
# 59
04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh yes. Just ignore my posts.
My ambassadorial skills obviously don't work out side of the game...
Lt. Commander
# 60 I'm not lashing out at all...
04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Dear Klytemnestra, I think you have the misunderstanding that people critiquing your mission = them insulting you as a person. That is not the case. The fact that I do not enjoy having my character disregarded when playing a mission has absolutely nothing to do with what I think of you as a person. Unfortunately, your comments above(especially the last one) are all examples of you lashing out at the people who are discussing your mission and suggesting negative things about *them* as people. Please get some control of yourself and stop the negative personal comments. Those kinds of comments do absolutely nothing to help the points you are trying to make.
I am responding to peoples questions and critiques.

I do not interpret anything people have written here as "insulting." I feel no insult. Also, there is nothing to be insulted about.

If people like to playa story where the player is central to the story. I am fine by that. But Call of Cthulhu is not that kind of a story.

Call of Cthulhu is designed to be specific to one character, one role, and one heroine.

That is all I am writing here. I do not understand how that can be interpreted as "being insulted"?

I do not see anything that I wrote as "personal negative comments" direct towards anyone. I have only stated why I will not make Call of Cthulhu a CCS style story, and the motivation behind that statement.

So, I am not influence by bias, I never read the names of the posters who leave critiques.

I write what I want to do and why I want to do the task with that behavior.

Also, my last post was more of a reflection moment.

I can only presume people are reading the words I write with whatever emotions or feelings they are experiencing at that moment without any sign of emotional queues from me.

My last post only stated the categories by which we determine what to change in Call of Cthulhu.

Thank you.

For example, right now, I am logged into STO and I am sitting in my ready room studying for my final exam in Psychological Motivation and Emotions which is at 7:30 AM in the morning tomorrow.

When I am studying and writing new scripts for our shows, I do so in my ready room or at the 602 club.