Lt. Commander
(I want to give credit to Chooch99 whose "Golems" mission offers players a chance to use the EVA suits as hazmat radiation suits for role playing purposes.)

I'm curious if any Foundry authors have been inspired to utilize EVA suits in their Foundry missions?

When I released "The Song of Circe's Demise" (Klingon), I made a point of offering an optional choice to don an EV suit. I had to assume the player had their own suit from either the "2800" featured series, or the Dilithium mining mission.

But have any of you fellow Foundry authors managed to incorporate (or plan to incorporate) EV suit requirements into your Foundry missions?

Tucana
P.S. Yeah, I might do an article on StarbaseUGC.com if enough missions start using them. Right now, it's just simple curiosity.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I hadn't thought much about it until now, but you have inspired me.

Not sure if any of my current projects would have a spot for it though. What I wish is that we could mandate it AND that we could specify a player-only away team. Of course that's something we've been asking for from day 1 and we all know how that's gone.

I suppose you could create an "airlock" and tell people to leave their BOFFs on the inside of it. I haven't played your mission, Tucana, how did you do yours?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes, I have one 1/2 done as we speak. Give me another month.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucana
(I want to give credit to Chooch99 whose "Golems" mission offers players a chance to use the EVA suits as hazmat radiation suits for role playing purposes.)

I'm curious if any Foundry authors have been inspired to utilize EVA suits in their Foundry missions?

When I released "The Song of Circe's Demise" (Klingon), I made a point of offering an optional choice to don an EV suit. I had to assume the player had their own suit from either the "2800" featured series, or the Dilithium mining mission.

But have any of you fellow Foundry authors managed to incorporate (or plan to incorporate) EV suit requirements into your Foundry missions?

Tucana
P.S. Yeah, I might do an article on StarbaseUGC.com if enough missions start using them. Right now, it's just simple curiosity.
I did love that quote though "We are Warriors we have no needs for suits!" or something to that effect.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I hadn't thought much about it until now, but you have inspired me.
Then you're drawing inspiration from my originating inspiration: Chooch99.

Quote:
I suppose you could create an "airlock" and tell people to leave their BOFFs on the inside of it. I haven't played your mission, Tucana, how did you do yours?
In my mission, there's a deadly virii ("Z-106") which targets Klingons. Part of the mission involves boarding a Mirror Universe space station and eliminating the data records -- while removing the Mirror Universe scientists involved.

Like Ranger_Ryu notes, I give the player an option whether or not they want to suit up. There's an unintentional comic aspect to it. <g> Players can suit up if they choose, or take a major risk. There weren't any methods (that I'm aware of) to disable/infect a player without an EV suit, so you have to role play (use your imagination) during the mission.

One thing I realized when creating the mission: I made sure I secured five EV suits when I played the Dilithium mining mission. That way I could outfit all of my BOff Away Team members.

I realize not everyone did this, though.

And I tried letting the community know that you could get more than one suit during that free EV suit giveaway. I *wish* Cryptic would automatically grant four extra suits to all players who currently have one suit. (And if a player purchased an EV suit, then grant four of the "used suits" or orange-color suits that were mining game giveaways, or additional Cardassian EV suits if they earned one during "The 2800.")

This is another area for Cryptic to monetize: Allow the Foundry authors to insert an action which allows players to buy an item. In this case, a player would be prompted to purchase an EV suit if they didn't have one. I know some fellow Foundry authors aren't hip to selling stuff on behalf of our Cryptic benefactors. It could work here, though.

So, what about the Foundry players who play a mission and don't have a suit? That's a tough one. Authors risk a poor rating/review because of the requirement (unless you state it upfront at the beginning of the mission -- and pray the reviewer ACTUALLY read the disclaimer).

Tucana
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
No! Don't give them more ideas on how to monetize the Foundry! Bad, bad Tucana! Oh well Cryptic never reads this forums anyway.

I'll have to play your mission, sounds good.

As for the EV suit, I suppose you could get around the "what to do if the player doesn't have one/chooses not to wear one" is instead of being in space, have the map set in very thin atmosphere, so you can still breathe, but then if the player chooses not to wear one, have the BOFFs complain at them the whole way.

"You know [Rank], we would have been much better off in suits."

That way you wouldn't get a 1-star review saying "I should have died on the space map cause I didn't have a suit and it's your fault!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
No! Don't give them more ideas on how to monetize the Foundry! Bad, bad Tucana! Oh well Cryptic never reads this forums anyway.
(sigh) Maybe so. Then again, I've already received a message from a certain person at... Nevermind. It was on a different topic. They are reading the forums! (And not just about that lunch episode from last week...)

Quote:
I'll have to play your mission, sounds good.
Please do, just as I really need to slot your Foundry "Dissent" series into my queue, too. But I'd add: It isn't my best work. I prefer "Dreams of Glory and Salvation" (Federation), and it's prequel, "Camelot Under Siege" (Federation).

Quote:
As for the EV suit, I suppose you could get around the "what to do if the player doesn't have one/chooses not to wear one" is instead of being in space, have the map set in very thin atmosphere, so you can still breathe, but then if the player chooses not to wear one, have the BOFFs complain at them the whole way.

"You know [Rank], we would have been much better off in suits."
Another option...
To your BOff: How's that TAS life support belt working for ya?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
"Sir, technobabblic emissions may have an adverse effect on the standard issue holographic life support fields. Recommend, hard EVA gear sir!"

OOC: If your character owns an EVA suit, now is the time to equip it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the cred! Glad you liked the idea, I also am using eva suits for a moonwalkiing map in a mission I have half done "Rise Of The Vodoni".
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
** b u m p **

I'm currently planning an article for StarbaseUGC.com which covers "non-regulation" equipment, like EV suits and shuttles, for Foundry missions.

IF YOU REQUIRE either of these items (or something else which players MUST have) to play your Foundry missions, then post here -- or contact me directly in-game. I would like to mention you, your Foundry mission(s) and what items you require.