Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok I own a HD 6750 and when I set either bloom or shadows on High Anti aliasing will begin to show artifacts, instead of antialiasing the lines they get lighted up a bit or something, like alot of objects appear to have light/white pixels around them.

It seems to happen only with Shadows and/or bloom on..

When is this going to be fixed? Ive seeon someone else complaining about the very same thing but I cant find the post right now.

I've tried every recent ATI catalyst driver even the older 11.x drivers. Its definately a game bug. DX9 or 10 doesnt matter, same issue happens if I use Adaptive Anti aliasing or even with Supersampling.

Its not that annoying but its not supposed to be this way. Some things are not aliased at all it seems while other stuff just works fine. Seems to depend on the environment as well.

This doesnt appear to happen on my Nvidia cards anyway...

I must say I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed this before, since its definately not the drivers that are causing these artifacts, or most people dont play at highest settings?

SCREENSHOT:
http://www.zeta-aquilae.net/Test/artifacts.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Im experiencing the same problems with my 5770.
Did you find out something useful yet?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Alright, the newest Catalyst Driver did the job!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfader1988
Ok I own a HD 6750 and when I set either bloom or shadows on High Anti aliasing will begin to show artifacts, instead of antialiasing the lines they get lighted up a bit or something, like alot of objects appear to have light/white pixels around them.

It seems to happen only with Shadows and/or bloom on..

When is this going to be fixed? Ive seeon someone else complaining about the very same thing but I cant find the post right now.

I've tried every recent ATI catalyst driver even the older 11.x drivers. Its definately a game bug. DX9 or 10 doesnt matter, same issue happens if I use Adaptive Anti aliasing or even with Supersampling.

Its not that annoying but its not supposed to be this way. Some things are not aliased at all it seems while other stuff just works fine. Seems to depend on the environment as well.

This doesnt appear to happen on my Nvidia cards anyway...

I must say I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed this before, since its definately not the drivers that are causing these artifacts, or most people dont play at highest settings?

10 to 1 says it's the settings you have set in catalyst. for some reason in the new 12.4 they moved the edge enhancement option to video, but either way having the edge enhancement too high will create the white pixeled outlines like your describing. It seems like every new version they come out with the values are slightly tweaked so check the actual catalyst/AMD vision engine settings first. Unless you completely manually removed the entire driver set the remove or roll back hasn't actually been fulling removing/reverting the drivers. So the fact you've tried a bunch of different drivers doesn't mean this might not still be the cause. a quite but really annoying *** way to test it would be to just put all options in catalyst/amd vision engine to use application settings and then just adjust settings in game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
I get the same artifacts/oddities, and I got a GeForce GTX 550, so it's not specific to AMD cards. I personally spent pretty much an entire day attempting to figure this out. I just chalked it up to the STO engine just being the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
I've been forcing antialiasing in the CCC, and using the full-screen mode (supersomething) at box 4... forget the name. It works much better than the antialiasing in game, even when the game was set to 8.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I've been forcing antialiasing in the CCC, and using the full-screen mode (supersomething) at box 4... forget the name. It works much better than the antialiasing in game, even when the game was set to 8.
Well, thats the weird thing, even using Supersampling (4x or 8x) gives these strange artifacts where this is a totally different Anti aliasing method then regular Multisampling,

SCREENSHOT:
http://www.zeta-aquilae.net/Test/artifacts.jpg

You can clearly see in this area that AA is bugged and artifacting, the problem is it happens on some locations, and not on all locations. It has to do with Shadows or Lightning, putting my Shadows on Low will make it disappear, Putting it on Medium and High will show the artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
10 to 1 says it's the settings you have set in catalyst. for some reason in the new 12.4 they moved the edge enhancement option to video, but either way having the edge enhancement too high will create the white pixeled outlines like your describing. It seems like every new version they come out with the values are slightly tweaked so check the actual catalyst/AMD vision engine settings first. Unless you completely manually removed the entire driver set the remove or roll back hasn't actually been fulling removing/reverting the drivers. So the fact you've tried a bunch of different drivers doesn't mean this might not still be the cause. a quite but really annoying *** way to test it would be to just put all options in catalyst/amd vision engine to use application settings and then just adjust settings in game.
My catalyst settings are all standard at the moment, except for forcing Supersampling instead of multisampling but that had no single effect on this problem. Ive tried changing every bit of catalyst setting I could change and nothing solves this issue. Again tried every older Catalyst driver, newer catalyst driver, except for 12.4.

Ive seen older posts of people having the same problem.

Video Settings and Edge enhancement have nothing to do with 3D Rendering, but with normal Video playback with i.e. external third party video players.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, that's what you get if you use the in-game antialiasing. If you go into CCC and do the Force Antialiasing, then Supersampling actually works. (I only tried the forcing with 12.4, so can't say for sure that it works with 12.3, but suspect that's true.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
Yes, that's what you get if you use the in-game antialiasing. If you go into CCC and do the Force Antialiasing, then Supersampling actually works.
I have supersampling forced, and all transparent textures are anti aliased so supersampling is definately working, which should not be the in-game AA. But I could try totally turning off the AA in game, Ill try that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
I have supersampling forced, and all transparent textures are anti aliased so supersampling is definately working, which should not be the in-game AA. But I could try totally turning off the AA in game, Ill try that.
If that doesn't work, use 12.4. That's my setup. If that doesn't work... Idunno what to tell you.

Btw, it's Force, 4x Box as my settings, just in case it isn't working with edge detect, etc.