Lt. Commander
# 1 Skills questions
04-21-2012, 04:55 AM
I've noticed some skills improve the duration of Boffs abilities. I was wondering is there a way to see how much the improvement is? Right now I have to set the level then click accept before I see the improvement.

Is there a way to determine the improvement without committing to it? For example subspace deompiler improves viral matrix duration, but by how much for each level?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately not, I think, which is very annoying, for sure. However, how the level of skill affects the abilities is generally straightforward, luckily, so a lot of times you can deduce for yourself—basically, the amount of +skill you have is how much % it improves your skill's duration/magnitude (depending on skill). For example, batteries have a base (100%) duration of 10 seconds, and if you have "3-green" +54 in Starship Batteries, then what you'd be getting is 100+54% for a duration of about 15 seconds; "9-red" +99 in Starship Batteries would likewise grant 100+99% for a doubled duration of 20 seconds. The same applies for all the skills, though some are a lot more vague. You can also use this to incorporate the +stats on your equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
The generaly formula for buffs is - <base value> * ( 1 + <skill-total> / 100 ). The unfortunate thing is that more then a few abilities don't use the full value of the skill for the. For example given by Borticus in an interview some crowd control abilities which Hold or Stun only use 1/2 of the Captain skill. Definitely don't want Stuns and Holds being obnoxiously long if captain piled on ranks of skill and Ship Consoles.

And I speculate that there are other parameters of abilities in which only part of the magnitude is buffable by Captain skills. An example being the effect radius of Gravity Well. The base value of the radirius was slightly reduced, and another portion was added which is affected by Captain skills. Another example of limiting the magnitude that a Captain's skills will effect. Gravity Well would be obnoxious,as well, if it's radius of effect could be nearly tripled with skill ranks and console.

Borrticus says that there isn't a list in the game which specifies such things. They (the system designers) would have to examine each ability in the game in order to create such documentation.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2012, 11:39 AM
My bad. I replied to the wrong post.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Admiral Skills??
04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
I"m new to this and I have worked up to Admiral, but on my skills I only go up to Captain or is it Commander.....anyway I'm at work and can't download the game here, so I can't look right now. I'm wondering how to increase my skills? The last 2 blocks unders my skills don't seem active. What am I missing?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
you'll need to spend a certain amount of points at each rank - at the top you'll see how many points you've spent, and the points needed to spend for the next rank as in xx/yy
Lt. Commander
# 7 Still confused on skills
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I go home for lunch and checked my skills. Under skills is s filter including trained, available and unavailable. The captain and admiral come up on the unavailable option. I kind of moved up fast in rank because I played a lot, not because I'm a great gamer. I'm new to gaming so a lot of this is really new to me. I have become a lot better and would really like to "move" up to captain and then admiral skills to see what that would do for me.

Since I did advance quickly I wonder if maybe i did not spend enought at a certain level. Is there an option to go back?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958
I go home for lunch and checked my skills. Under skills is s filter including trained, available and unavailable. The captain and admiral come up on the unavailable option. I kind of moved up fast in rank because I played a lot, not because I'm a great gamer. I'm new to gaming so a lot of this is really new to me. I have become a lot better and would really like to "move" up to captain and then admiral skills to see what that would do for me.

Since I did advance quickly I wonder if maybe i did not spend enought at a certain level. Is there an option to go back?
If you are already at admiral, then you should already have all the skill points possible. One of two things could have happened, either A) you have the skill points and you just have not spent enough yet, or B) you ran out of skill points and need to purchase a respec token from the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 9 had to respec
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
i had increased all skills up to commander level evenly. i now did the respec and reached admiral on the tac level, but i'm lower on other levels now. i wonder if there is any merit to increasing everything equally at the commander level?
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
you also have to spend a certain number of points into ground skills as well inorder to unlock higher levels of skills.