Lt. Commander
# 1 Atrox Carrier Build
05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I run an engineer on both KDF and Fed sides. I've played some form of pet handler in most every game that had such. There are thousands of STO carrier drivers with more hours than I have, and I don't even remotely claim to be an expert here.

STO carrier builds are quite flexible depending on your role, your playstyle. Your fighter layout will vary depending on the mission, and sometimes even the given target. I mostly fly tank or as a blockade ship in STFs (stopping probes, nanite spheres, etc). This is pretty much my Vo'Quv build (with some minor tweeks for the Atrox):

Weapons loadout --

Weapons loadout is a matter of debate. Being a sci ship, you want to keep your bow on the target as much as possilbe (and she'll turn like a brick). You also have target subsystem attacks, so you'll want beams to take advantage of those attacks. You are limited on tactical, so torpedo special attacks are'nt really viable. If you want to run a torp, mount something that doesnt require a special (like a Hargh'peng or Breen cluster). Given that, I run the following:

Fore: beam x2, dual beam array x1
Aft: turret x3
*If I'm running blockade, I'll usually mount a tractor mine launcher aft

Bridge Officers --

Tac(Lt): BAO1, CSV1 (I prefer scatter for peeling little targets that come your way like plasma torpedos, etc)
Eng(LtC):ET1, BP1, EWP1
Sci(LtC):MES1, HE2
Sci(Cmd):ST1, TB1, GW1,TR3

Duty Officers --

Flightdeck (when/if Feds get it), Gravity Well, Tractor Beam, Damage Control, Antimatter

Consoles --

Tac(2):Antiproton Mag Regulator x2
Eng(3): Point Defense System (uni), Theta Radiation Vent (uni), Field Emitter
Sci(4): Borg Assimilated Module, Graviton Generator, Flow Capacitor (for all those yummy subsystem attacks), Particle Generator

Engines --

Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines

Deflector --

Assimilated Deflector Array

Shield --

MACO (sure wish I had my KHG shield here, nothing like it on the FED side)

Fighter Sortie --

Every carrier has a set of unique fighters that cannot be used by any other ship (Vo'Quv = BOP, Ki'Far = Frigate, Atrox = Stalkers)

Keep a pair of all the OTHER hangar pets in your inventory.

Heavies: for larger targets like gates and anything bigger than a cruiser
(BoP, Frigates are what I have on the KDF carriers, but the jury still out on how the Stalkers will be ranked but the assumption is that they will be heavy)
Power syphons: shut down cubes, baby!
Shield drones: I'll often keep on hangar load on myself and shift it to a teamate that needs them. Also great for keeping the Kang alive in the Cure.
Light fighters: pretty much most any other situation
Tetryon fighteres: if you PvP with your carrier, then they are worth the investment

In the end, there's no "wrong" carrier build as long as you're having fun with it. It can cover a lot of various roles with one ship. There are some great Vor'quv builds out there. What's your Atrox build gonna look like?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdup View Post
I run an engineer on both KDF and Fed sides. I've played some form of pet handler in most every game that had such. There are thousands of STO carrier drivers with more hours than I have, and I don't even remotely claim to be an expert here.

STO carrier builds are quite flexible depending on your role, your playstyle. Your fighter layout will vary depending on the mission, and sometimes even the given target. I mostly fly tank or as a blockade ship in STFs (stopping probes, nanite spheres, etc). This is pretty much my Vo'Quv build (with some minor tweeks for the Atrox):

Weapons loadout --

Weapons loadout is a matter of debate. Being a sci ship, you want to keep your bow on the target as much as possilbe (and she'll turn like a brick). You also have target subsystem attacks, so you'll want beams to take advantage of those attacks. You are limited on tactical, so torpedo special attacks are'nt really viable. If you want to run a torp, mount something that doesnt require a special (like a Hargh'peng or Breen cluster). Given that, I run the following:

Fore: beam x2, dual beam array x1
Aft: turret x3
*If I'm running blockade, I'll usually mount a tractor mine launcher aft

Bridge Officers --

Tac(Lt): BAO1, CSV1 (I prefer scatter for peeling little targets that come your way like plasma torpedos, etc)
Eng(LtC):ET1, BP1, EWP1
Sci(LtC):MES1, HE2
Sci(Cmd):ST1, TB1, GW1,TR3

Duty Officers --

Flightdeck (when/if Feds get it), Gravity Well, Tractor Beam, Damage Control, Antimatter

Consoles --

Tac(2):Antiproton Mag Regulator x2
Eng(3): Point Defense System (uni), Theta Radiation Vent (uni), Field Emitter
Sci(4): Borg Assimilated Module, Graviton Generator, Flow Capacitor (for all those yummy subsystem attacks), Particle Generator

Engines --

Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines

Deflector --

Assimilated Deflector Array

Shield --

MACO (sure wish I had my KHG shield here, nothing like it on the FED side)

Fighter Sortie --

Every carrier has a set of unique fighters that cannot be used by any other ship (Vo'Quv = BOP, Ki'Far = Frigate, Atrox = Stalkers)

Keep a pair of all the OTHER hangar pets in your inventory.

Heavies: for larger targets like gates and anything bigger than a cruiser
(BoP, Frigates are what I have on the KDF carriers, but the jury still out on how the Stalkers will be ranked but the assumption is that they will be heavy)
Power syphons: shut down cubes, baby!
Shield drones: I'll often keep on hangar load on myself and shift it to a teamate that needs them. Also great for keeping the Kang alive in the Cure.
Light fighters: pretty much most any other situation
Tetryon fighteres: if you PvP with your carrier, then they are worth the investment

In the end, there's no "wrong" carrier build as long as you're having fun with it. It can cover a lot of various roles with one ship. There are some great Vor'quv builds out there. What's your Atrox build gonna look like?
Except this is a special case here. A lot of players will be buying, equipping, manning, and playing a carrier for the first time. Fed carriers are so new there won't even be flight deck officers for them at first. And there apparently is only one type of fighter available, beyond the device slot Scorpions and the c-store fighter pets.

Looks like the best bet would be to make the Fed carriers as a support vessel, at least at first. You will have a lower recharge rate on the hangar bays than a KDF carrier, because you won't have a flight deck officer. I would recommend a beam build, to take advantage of subsystem targeting. Use your carrier to take down your target's shields and engines, in order to make your fighter's jobs easier.

As well as BOFF skills, you should check out the cstore for other ships, in order to use their consoles in your new kittycarrier. I would recommend the Point Defense System, the Antimatter Spread, or even a Photonic Displacer Module.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Barrier Shield? you can send it to your fed toon from a kling toon?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Syphons and shield repair drones are available (on the exchange ), and I expect they'll be patched into the Fed shipyard along with the "carrier" tab. Plus the new "blue" dilithium fighters that will release Thursday (that both factions can use). Bigger pet selection only adds to more variations. That's a win-win for both factions.

Agreed on trying out various universal console (especially if you already have them). I have the entire collection on the KDF side. I'm not as impressed with the Fed uni consoles, but there are a few more that I might pick up. I don't think the Fed side has a barrier shield console.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
Barrier Shield? you can send it to your fed toon from a kling toon?
No, universals are all bound.

The only cross-faction universals are the ones that unlocked from the Ferengi boxes (Theta for Feds and the Displacer for KDF)
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
No, universals are all bound.

The only cross-faction universals are the ones that unlocked from the Ferengi boxes (Theta for Feds and the Displacer for KDF)
Yeah, I play more on the KDF side, so I get my consoles mixed up sometimes. Fed side, I would recommend the point defense console.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Syphons and shield repair drones are available (on the exchange ), and I expect they'll be patched into the Fed shipyard along with the "carrier" tab. Plus the new "blue" dilithium fighters that will release Thursday (that both factions can use). Bigger pet selection only adds to more variations. That's a win-win for both factions.

Agreed on trying out various universal console (especially if you already have them). I have the entire collection on the KDF side. I'm not as impressed with the Fed uni consoles, but there are a few more that I might pick up. I don't think the Fed side has a barrier shield console.
Yeah, I whiffed on the Barrier Shield, just replace that with the Point Defense System. My main point was this: a carrier does not play like a normal science vessel. You do not try to keep the nose on the target, you play a carrier more like a cruiser. If you build a beam boat, which I recommend, you fire broadsides. Obviously, a turret boat doesn't need to worry about relative positions, because of the 360 degree field of fire. That's the attraction of a turret boat.

The kittycarrier seems to be in line with the Vo'quv/Vod'leh, which means you crank out fighters as fast as possible and support them as best you can.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Rgr all.

I've always run my Vo'Quv pretty much bow-on and static/tank. My Kar'Fi I drive like a cruiser, though (I guess because she rolls).

One thing's for sure, there will be a good deal of moaning from those who have never driven a carrier who jump in the Atrox and try to whip her around.

Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I would argue the Stalkers are fighters
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Rgr all.

I've always run my Vo'Quv pretty much bow-on and static/tank. My Kar'Fi I drive like a cruiser, though (I guess because she rolls).

One thing's for sure, there will be a good deal of moaning from those who have never driven a carrier who jump in the Atrox and try to whip her around.

Oh yeah, it's gonna be fun to watch.