Lt. Commander
# 11
05-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirawyn View Post
I've discovered that there is a more-accurate version of the /loc command: /locvec, which gives the X,Y,Z location [vector] to 6 decimal places. I use it for camera placement for screenshots and /demorecords, but it is probably very helpful for situations like this.

For instance, Kirkfat could stand on the table on which an object is to be placed, type /locvec and make a note of the Y location and then place the object at that Y location (after calculating the conversion from in-game to Foundry).
Thanks. That's useful to know.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
When I built the capitol city for Argelius II, it was mostly trial and error - especially since no map available in the Foundry is flat and all building footprints are different (even within the same style).

Glad to hear about the /loc and /locvec commands. That would have been a big help back then - lol. But I'm sure even with those, there is still a lot of fine tuning that will be needed.

Good luck Kirkfat, looking forward to seeing what you come up with (as always )
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
(Chanting) StarbaseUGC.com article... StarbaseUGC.com article... StarbaseUGC.com article...

Take a short break from authoring, Kirkfat.

We could use a terrific Foundry tutorial on /loc and /locvec
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-02-2012, 04:45 PM
The exact conversion factors , straight from the code are as follows. To convert from game units to foundry units, multiply by these values:

0.02 for space
0.3048 on foot

The value of 0 for Y is map dependent. It is the initial value of the spawn point on the map.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinder View Post
The exact conversion factors , straight from the code are as follows. To convert from game units to foundry units, multiply by these values:

0.02 for space
0.3048 on foot

The value of 0 for Y is map dependent. It is the initial value of the spawn point on the map.
Can someone translate the nice devspeak here? Is this in regards to the difference between X values and X by X by X dimensions?

Dividing by 3.28 is working pretty well for me. I scratching up a lot of paper with numbers, but it's saving me time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
When you get a value from /locvec, you should multiply all the numbers by the appropriate conversion factor. The conversion value is dependent on the type of map you are on.

You should multiply by 0.3048 instead of dividing by 3.28 for perfect accuracy.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinder View Post
When you get a value from /locvec, you should multiply all the numbers by the appropriate conversion factor. The conversion value is dependent on the type of map you are on.

You should multiply by 0.3048 instead of dividing by 3.28 for perfect accuracy.
ah OK, thanks. This is very useful info. Thank you. And, just to make sure, there is no command that will give me the "Foundry" values, in terms of X, Y, and Z?

Quote:
Is the Y relative to Absolute Zero also map dependent, since it is determined by the relative volume of the map? Or is there a universal absolute zero?

Is there anything that I can do with the /loc-type commands, in which I can stand on a table, run a command, do some math, and then know the exact Y coordinates of a glass to be placed on the table?

Lastly, can you please explain the "Y relative to geometry"? What is its purpose and is it working correctly?
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
This sounds like too much work. I think I'll stick with my method of:
  1. Place object
  2. Load map
  3. Move Object
  4. Load map
  5. Move Object
  6. Load map
  7. Move Object
  8. Load map
  9. Move Object
  10. Load map
  11. DONE!

Actually, I have a shortcut I use, but it would take too long to explain right now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I feel a song coming on....

We built this city....

We built this city on math and toil.

Lt. Commander
# 20
05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
You know the best way to solve this problem? 3D map editing!

(yes, I know why we can't, but still...)