Lt. Commander
# 81
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm with hale on this one. FAWscorts aren't fun.
Lt. Commander
# 82
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
Are you talking to me? I made thouse test with 2 diferent players and with 2 diferent engine energy levels. I even made test with one guy WITH OUT engine and the GW not even stop it.

The test that I made today are here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...7&postcount=58
the first paragraph i was talking about TBR, the rest of it was about what the devs need to do when they go to work on the power again.
Lt. Commander
# 83
05-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
A few quick notes:

- 50% resist is the original value that was put in place with the introduction of the Space Skill Revamp back in November. It's never been lower than that, since introduced.
- Calling it "50% resist" is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't always reduce the effectiveness of a Control ability by 50%. The math varies widely depending on the individual ability. Don't let the terminology lead you to jump to conclusions.
- I can't confirm with 100% accuracy, but I believe the Siphon Drone launch numbers may be incorrect at this time. In any case, it's a matter under scrutiny.

Please keep the feedback coming! I'll be honest - these changes may go live as-is due to our current patching schedule. But we're always working on tuning the game to be as enjoyable as possible, so anything that is way outta whack will continue to be tuned in further updates. As I keep saying, Balance is a never-ending process.
are you meaning to tell me, that before the 75% resist we had a 50% resist? as far as i can recall there has never been a resist in the game until the 75% resist came along. so i maintain my fear that this "change" will be blamed on the pvp crowd by people who do not understand what is actually going on.

so youre basically saying that a 50% resist to a power is not actually a 50% resist to the power? can you give us some specific examples on this? also,is this a hard cap or do consoles stacked on also increase the resist %? if you take a lot of power insulators and spec into it and take a deflector..... you still have that issue of power insulators being too good agaisnt too many sci powers for so few skill points. it just isnt balaced that resists take less points to max then boosts do. they need to be at least equal or switched.
Lt. Commander
# 84
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716
are you meaning to tell me, that before the 75% resist we had a 50% resist? as far as i can recall there has never been a resist in the game until the 75% resist came along. so i maintain my fear that this "change" will be blamed on the pvp crowd by people who do not understand what is actually going on.

so youre basically saying that a 50% resist to a power is not actually a 50% resist to the power? can you give us some specific examples on this? also,is this a hard cap or do consoles stacked on also increase the resist %? if you take a lot of power insulators and spec into it and take a deflector..... you still have that issue of power insulators being too good agaisnt too many sci powers for so few skill points. it just isnt balaced that resists take less points to max then boosts do. they need to be at least equal or switched.
They didn't work though. Well, some did, some didn't. The original intent, apparently, was for the resists to be set at 50%. Then, it seems, sci powers were balanced around these non-functional resists. I still can't figure out who thought they were working when sci powers were balanced against them, but I believe a newbie Dev was thrown out like a nameless Ensign Ricky. So, what we were seeing before the resists were fixed, starting with the first skill tree revamp, was not what we were supposed to be seeing.

This actually helps explain why it so suddenly became necessary to run multiple sci ships doing the same thing to get any effect from their efforts. We kept saying it felt like we were nerfed, immediately after the skill revamp. We were assured we weren't, but it seems we were.

I'm glad that they are working on it. I think we can make some good come of this. It seems Systems is interested. Thanks J-man. As soon as I talk enough people into getting together for some matches on Tribble, I will post my impressions. My instinct says, that without tweeking the base values of sci powers, 50% is still way too much. Remember they were balanced as if the resists were working, and giving us laughable results since the revamp. Any resistance added to what we were left with is suspect without a pass on the powers themselves.

Edit: The specific powers that I am referring to above are:
Grav Well - no hold, at all since graviton generators began affecting it
CPB - 3-4k on CPB3 was a huge hit from the 5-6k prior to the revamp
TacBeam - TacB3 combined with CPB3 used to remove the shields from almost any opponent, before the resists were fixed you were lucky to get 1/2, now nothing
TBR - the repel seemed to be the broken part, huge pushes before repels were "fixed", now, no push. This actually leads to way more damage since it still has a 5k range.
Tyken's Rift - Hasn't worked properly in a long time. There was a brief window when, combined with a GW for hold, it was effective. Then GW's hold was broken too.
Lt. Commander
# 85
05-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlightracer View Post
So to counter this, I'm supposed to be running one of this powers all the time? Seems a bit unfair.
Notice that none of these is Emergency Power to Shields. You can and you should run them all the time! (It takes 2 Emergency Power to Shields. Which unfortunately means on non-Cruisers, you don't have much variability in the Engineering department)
Lt. Commander
# 86
05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716

It seems naming it "50 % resist" is a misnomer, since it almost never equals 50 % of anything that we, as players, could directly experience. It may be a 0.5 modifier somewhere in some formula, but it's like hull resist values. Armor consoles used to list a +x % value, but this was never describing what they actually were, and the yeventually removed the % sign. The only percentage that really is in there is the damage resistance value you can see on the big ship paper doll UI.

Cryptic Math is Cryptic.

Of course, it seemed as if for Charged Particle Burst and Tachyon Beam, 50 % resist was even more than 50 %...