Lt. Commander
So, Diplomacy/Marauding gets Transwarps, and the other categories need stuff too. Here's a few ideas.

Science:
T1: +5 Driver Coil
T2: +10 Driver Coil
T3: +15 Driver Coil
T4: +20 Driver Coil

Exploration:
T1: 5% more Data Samples from anything that gives them.
T2: 10% more Data Samples from anything that gives them.
T3: 15% more Data Samples from anything that gives them.
T4: 20% more Data Samples from anything that gives them.

Engineering:
T1: ?
T2: Clicky power to heal all Minor starship injuries for free, with some cooldown.
T3: Clicky power to heal all Major starship injuries for free, with some cooldown.
T4: Clicky power to heal all Critical starship injuries for free, with some cooldown.

Colonial: It wouldn't be a bad idea if this gave Transwarps to the far reaching star clusters like the Zenas Expanse, the Eridan Belt, or the Afehirr Nebula.

Espionage: I'm not sure of the specifics, but it'd be neat to be able to enter the systems/planets of the other faction (like Ganalda, K-7, Vulcan, Forcas, Earth, Qo'noS, etc; more important worlds would be higher tier), and have access to special Doff Assignments or something.

Medical:
T1: ?
T2: Clicky power to heal all Minor captain injuries for free, with some cooldown.
T3: Clicky power to heal all Major captain injuries for free, with some cooldown.
T4: Clicky power to heal all Critical captaininjuries for free, with some cooldown.

Trade:
T1: 5% Discount from EC Vendors
T2: 10% Discount from EC Vendors
T3: 15% Discount from EC Vendors
T4: 20% Discount from EC Vendors
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Those ideas sound pretty neat. I like how most of them simply help make your gameplay more efficient:
  • Engineering/Medical are simply removing the tedium of going to a starbase for the same function (should Medical also heal Boffs?).
  • Science would provide small boosts to system travel speed and Full Impulse power transfer efficiency without spending skill points.
  • Colonial granting additional Transwarps would be awesome.
The Exploration one needs some tweaking, I think: most anomalies provide <5 data samples, so those bonuses would usually round down to 0. Maybe something more like (inspired by some of the Doff active power progressions):

T1: 20% chance of 25% additional Data Samples or 1 additional Particle Trace from anomalies
T2: 20% chance of 50% additional Data Samples or 2 additional Particle Traces from anomalies
T3: 20% chance of 75% additional Data Samples or 3 additional Particle Traces from anomalies
T4: 20% chance of 100% additional Data Samples or 4 additional Particle Traces from anomalies

The T1 bonus might still round to 0 a lot of the time, but it's pretty easy to get from T1 to T2 so most people probably wouldn't even notice. I would also make it anomalies-only, since the assignments already provide either 5 or 10 on Success.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael
The Exploration one needs some tweaking, I think: most anomalies provide <5 data samples, so those bonuses would usually round down to 0. Maybe something more like (inspired by some of the Doff active power progressions):
The system keeps running tallies of fractions. You can notice this on XP gained from kills. If you've got one of the small XP boost from veteran rewards, you see like 4 Kills result in 20 XP, and then the next kill gets you 21 XP. But I do like your idea as well (though I'm not sure if Heretic would like the massive boost in sample numbers).
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Another Idea for Espionage: Access to cross faction equipment. The consoles? Well, if that's ok, then I'm fine with that. But I'm sure that won't happen, but things like a Federation Character "acquiring" the Shard Sword of Kahless would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Another Idea for Espionage: Access to cross faction equipment. The consoles? Well, if that's ok, then I'm fine with that. But I'm sure that won't happen, but things like a Federation Character "acquiring" the Shard Sword of Kahless would be cool.
No, wait... I like this. Put Franklin Drake in K-9 and give him an Espionage store where you can buy cross-faction and experimental gear at specific tiers. Sort of like the DOFF store, but with stuff rather than duty officers. K'Men would have a similar/same store on the KDF side.

I also like the ideas of Science tiers giving skill bonuses, Trade tiers giving EC discounts, and Colonial or Exploration giving Transwarps to exploration clusters.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The system keeps running tallies of fractions. You can notice this on XP gained from kills. If you've got one of the small XP boost from veteran rewards, you see like 4 Kills result in 20 XP, and then the next kill gets you 21 XP. But I do like your idea as well (though I'm not sure if Heretic would like the massive boost in sample numbers).
Really? Wow. I haven't paid much attention to the specific experience or damage mechanics in this game, but that seems pretty unusual based on what I've seen in other games. In that case, my percentages for extra samples are probably a bit high (cut them in half, maybe).

Cross-faction store for Espionage sounds nifty. I know Feds can get KDF melee weapons from the crate in The Doomsday Machine, but that's a crapshot and they're usually not very good. (Dunno if there's something similar where KDF can get Fed weapons.) I'd like to have a store where I can buy Mk XI blue or purple bat'leths.