Lt. Commander
# 1 Komahashi Maru
05-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Project ID: ST-HGF4VFKX6
Mission: Komahashi Maru
Faction: Federation
Min. Level: Any
Entry Point: Starfleet Academy, Earth
Content: Roughly 10-20 minutes long, lots of conversation and a little ground combat towards the end.
Quick Find: Use the keyword "Koma" in the search interface to quickly find this foundry mission.
Teaser:
Sir, we have just recieved a Priority One order from Starfleet Command.

The ship is to return to Earth where its Captain and command staff are to report to Starfleet Academy for a Special Command and Tactics Refresher course, The Komahashi Maru Incident.

This is highly unusal, sir. I have never heard of a training simulation called the Komahashi Maru and there is no indication of who issued the order. However, it has passed all authentication and verification checks. The order is genuine.

Report to the main building in Starfleet Academy on Earth to begin the training simulation.

--------------

This is my second foundry mission, the first one with training wheels off. So please do try it out. Any and all feedback is welcomed!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Thank you everyone who have played my mission. I really appreciate all the positive feedback, emails and comments you guys have given me.

A few of you commented that the Klingons should have been gassed or wished the ending wasn't forced. Without spoiling too much for those who have not played Komahashi Maru, let me just point you to who created this training scenario. They have a specific goal in mind and in this instance it does not include gassing Klingons or any other alternate solutions. I have changed the ending a little to reflect this.

Trivia: Captain Sisko also used Trilithium Gas in one episode of DS9. Can you name the episode?
Lt. Commander
# 3 Sisko is a badass...
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Trivia: Captain Sisko also used Trilithium Gas in one episode of DS9. Can you name the episode?[/quote]

Answer: Captain Sisko fired quantum torpedoes filled with trilithium into the atmosphere a maquis colony. Pretty darn badass! Episode was "For the Uniform" DS9, season 5.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-15-2012, 04:28 AM
That's correct! Trilithium Gas is used in the mission but unfortunately I could not find a good place to squeeze in the fact that Sisko also used it. In fact "For The Uniform" was one of my inspiration for creating this dark mission.

Please do not get turned off by the low rating, the mission is worth playing. Every single one of the 1-3 stars came from a short period when a half-completed version of Komahashi Maru was mysteriously published. I withdrew the mission as soon as I realized but the damage was already done.

Currently, I am working on the follow up mission, The Borg of 4028. Watch for it!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Having played this mission, I say it's well worth it, though it did take me a little longer than 20 minutes (but then, I did keep dying at one point. )
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsical View Post
Hi Evil, please kindly review my first serious attempt at creating a foundry mission. This mission is also part one of what should hopefully be a five mission story arc. I am currently working on part two, hopefully I will be able to publish it in a week or two.

Mission Name: Eclipse #1: Komahashi Maru
Author: intrinsical
Minimum Level: Any
Allegiance: Starfleet
ST-HJBWPEPE9
Estimated Mission Length: Around 30 minutes
Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post
Federation Mission - Eclipse #1: Komahashi Maru
Author: intrinsica
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HJBWPEPE9

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: For your first serious attempt at creating a Foundry mission it is a great mission. It does start out a little slow but picks up rapidly becoming a fun roller coaster of a ride with good twists and turns. You found a good balance of dialogue, interactive tasks and combat that kept me riveted throughout the mission. I do recommend you balance the combat a little more as it was pretty tough on normal and I imagine it would be quite difficult if not impossible on elite. Despite that I would highly recommend this mission to all players who love a great story combined with good interactive tasks and challenging combat.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: The initial mission task should contain the start location for the first custom map. Even though I knew it is located at Starfleet Academy, Main Building, it still took me a few minutes to locate the entrance.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Galaxy Simulation: This is a good map design. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The "What can you tell me about this course" dialogue; consider changing "My orders was to report here" to read "My orders were to report here".
-Consider changing "Like you, the orders is authentic and anonymous" to read “"Like you, the orders are authentic and anonymous"
-From a plot perspective so far the dialogue, "Like you, the orders is authentic and anonymous" seems odd as the player has not mentioned anything about the nature of our orders. If this was intentional to give the player a clue that something is not quite right then their needs to be a response in the dialogue for the player appropriate to that. Perhaps one of the away team BOFFs asks to speak with the player and then mentions the suspicious nature of the commander’s dialogue.
-Both Ensign T'Les and Cadet Tang refer to themselves as navigators. Consider changing Cadet Tang to indicate he is a certified Helmsman.
-The Chief Medical Officer and the Botanist are standing to far from the console and is typing in mid air.
-Consider changing "the bird of prey is too fast and maneouverable" to read "the bird of prey is too fast and maneuverable".

Galaxy Interior: This is a great map design with several tough battles. The story dialogue is very well written and detailed. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-I like your use of the optional dialogue triggers however I can see the martini glasses lying on the deck for each dialogue. Consider lowering the Y axis by about -0.025 or so to bury them in the deck.
-Consider changing Commander Rem Brott post initial dialogue to optional as well so that it goes away after the player has completed all the other optional dialogue. It looked odd when you have completed all the optional dialogue with the other crew members and see an information indicator over her. When you talk to her your only option is “All tasks are complete”.
-Battle balancing, I understand the effect you are going for with the overwhelming strength of the enemy mobs but try to achieve a little more balance. The fights are pretty tough on normal level so I imagine they would be nearly impossible on elite.
-Consider reworking the location of the holo display platform. The set up seems odd since in order to use the ramps to get to it you have to go down from the trilithium location and all the way around getting to the holo display. Perhaps rotate both platforms so the ramps face the middle of the room and move them to give enough room in between them.
-Consider changing "The Klingons are on a different continent, separated a vast ocean" to read "The Klingons are on a different continent, separated by a vast ocean".
-For the post "Find General M'Bok" dialogue you need to add a barrier that prevents the enemy mobs from engaging the player while they try to finish reading your dialogue. Another option is to set the trigger further down the passage away from the entrance to give the player time to read that dialogue.
-Consider placing another respawn point closer to the “General M'Bok” battle area.
-Consider changing the Amon Reese appearance animation. It looks good initially but due to the limitation of the Foundry he keeps beaming in over and over again.

Holodeck: This is a good map design with well written story and is a nice wrap up to the mission. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The spawn point appears to be slightly above the ground. When the player spawns they drop to the deck. Check the spawn point position.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job with this mission. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 06/03/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.