Lt. Commander
# 1 Dear God, someone help
03-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I live in WI and have Charter for my internet. I have a netgear modem/router from them.
My problem is I keep getting disconnected after playing for a few minutes or loading to a new area. It litereally resets my modem. I know theres peobably a solution somewhere on the forums but I don't have hours to look. Here are things I've tried:
Updating drivers
Setting US proxy
Disabling on demand patching
patching via proxy
I've gone to my inlaws a five minute drive away and it runs fine there, they use the same ISP. could it be the ISP's connection to my apartment, or the fact that I'm using a modem/router combo (they have a seperate router). I just want to be able to play the game with my friends. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
-Scotcheroo
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2012, 09:45 PM
id post my dxdiag but it says i can post attachments
Lt. Commander
# 3 Faut diagnostics
03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Do you play any other MMO's and does the modem reset with these MMO's?

When you go to your inlaws, do you take your modem, PC/laptop and connect it to their internet connection? (some reconfiguring will be required)

This may be related to you modem having issues with uploading data as MMO's do a fair bit of data sharing compaired to simply surfing the net.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I dont play any others currently, but i used to play wow and swtor and neither had this problem. playing on a toshiba satellite a6050 that i take to their place. they still have charter for ISP but a seperate router.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2012, 10:24 PM
try this

plug your pc directly into the modem, unplug the power from the modem for about 20secs and plug it in again

if that works, its some setting on the router

plug your pc back into the router, and the router to the modem, then unplug power from the modem for about 20secs again

on the router, hold its reset button for about 15 seconds til it completely resets to defaults

and try again
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2012, 10:58 PM
There is a known issue with low-end routers not being able to handle the number of simultaneous network connections that STO, and other network intense applications can put up (such as bit-Torrent)... If disabling the voice chat, and all other network application not necessary for playing STO doesn't fix the problem, the only other solution is to ask your network provider for a modem that can handle the network load...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
There is a known issue with low-end routers not being able to handle the number of simultaneous network connections that STO, and other network intense applications can put up (such as bit-Torrent)... If disabling the voice chat, and all other network application not necessary for playing STO doesn't fix the problem, the only other solution is to ask your network provider for a modem that can handle the network load...
I probably agree with Grouchy.Otaku it certinally sounds like the modem/router is the issue.
Now comes the messy part, fault finding...
Disconnect your modem/router and take it to you inlaws, as they have the same ISP as you, you should be able to plug it into their internet connection with out changing the settings( am from NZ so unsure how US ISP's configure their connections). i.e. disconnect their modem and plug in your modem/router. This will eliminate the internet connection to your building.

If you still experience the issue at your inlaws, with your modem/router, then sorry its the modem/router and its time to shell out for a new one. I have cable at home (again from NZ, so its a big thing) so have a seperate cable modem connected to a wireless/4 port ethernet router and have no issues.

Good luck and let us know the results.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, I turned off voice chat and that indeed seems to have fixed it. who knew something that I wasnt even using would mess the whole thing up. Thanks again
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
i have the same issue, a netgear modem/router , ive put it to my ISP they are bringing me a new modem today, ill let you know how it goes but im pretty sure that will fix it, since STO is the only place im gettng the problem. but in the meantime ill try disableing voice and see how that goes

edit;
ok so i turned off voice chat and that seems to of fixed it untill i get a new modem