Lt. Commander
# 31
05-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Ah yes, played this one a while ago, magnificent story line.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-05-2012, 01:52 AM
its a brilliant mission. his other two are just as good if not better.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Wolf
I'm sorry but that kind of post completely puts me off playing foundry missions. That is such an arrogant viewpoint to suggest such a thing.

I really don't think that this type of foundry superiority attitude is good for the community at all to be honest.

I played the mission and didn't really like it because I'm not a fan of these type of missions but that doesn't mean I just sit there expecting to hit F mindlessly while fighting off hordes of bad guys.
Please don't get this wrong. This has nothing to do with superiority.

The Foundry tools aren't easy to master. Almost any tutorial on how to make missions have been made by authors who had to find it out by themselves. And especially Kirkfat was one of the first who made a lot of great tutorials.

And even with that help it can be quite nerve-racking and it takes hours if you want to create a real story mission. (Writing dialog, creating custom characters, naming ships, customizing mobs, naming them, placing them and other assets on the maps). I made a short mission for my fleet and it took me two weeks to finish it and it can be played in about 15 minutes.

So - it takes weeks or month to make some of these missions. And then you get a low rating, condemning all the hard work to the bottom of the ratings, because of bugs in the game, or someone just don't like the type of mission you have made. Think about it... then you might understand how an author can get a little mad.

It is just the way it is. The authors can't blame the average player, because most of them doesn't know much work they put into these missions.
I encourage everyone to play foundry missions, because there are really great. They are full of great storytelling, fun, awesome maps and cool puzzles.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Congratulations to alimac30. City of the Polmar Ree is a good mission.

If I remember correctly, it was also featured in a community foundry event not so long ago, in addition to appearing on number of podcasts, so it's also the expected choice.

That's fine, but I worry that it sends the wrong message--that there are really only a handful of good foundry missions--the ones that get talked about over and over--and only a few good foundry authors.

I guess it comes down to the purpose of the spotlight. Is it to tell everyone what they've already heard and think they know? Or is it to encourage them to dig a little deeper to find all the great content waiting for them?

I can understand the first--it's the safe approach after all--but I think the second is actually better for the foundry and for the game. At least it doesn't exacerbate a abysmal search engine and rating system that buries some great content.

Again, this is a well-deserved honor for City of the Polmar Ree. But I also hope that whoever chooses the next spotlight winner goes a little beyond the usual suspects, takes a little more time and puts a little more effort in, and makes a more courageous selection.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_ecliptic
Congratulations to alimac30. City of the Polmar Ree is a good mission.

If I remember correctly, it was also featured in a community foundry event not so long ago, in addition to appearing on number of podcasts, so it's also the expected choice.

That's fine, but I worry that it sends the wrong message--that there are really only a handful of good foundry missions--the ones that get talked about over and over--and only a few good foundry authors.

I guess it comes down to the purpose of the spotlight. Is it to tell everyone what they've already heard and think they know? Or is it to encourage them to dig a little deeper to find all the great content waiting for them?

I can understand the first--it's the safe approach after all--but I think the second is actually better for the foundry and for the game. At least it doesn't exacerbate a abysmal search engine and rating system that buries some great content.

Again, this is a well-deserved honor for City of the Polmar Ree. But I also hope that whoever chooses the next spotlight winner goes a little beyond the usual suspects, takes a little more time and puts a little more effort in, and makes a more courageous selection.
As I understand it, this is an ongoing thing. Plenty of people and missions will be highlighted over the coming months and years but you might as well start with a great mission.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Nice to see the Foundry Spotlight back, so I have to ask. What rewards have been attached to doing the spotlight missions?
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Also, please note that while there was not a KDF spotlighted mission today, the plan is to rotate from week-to-week. You will see a KDF mission spotlighted next week, then Fed the week after, then KDF the week after that etc. This is planned to go on every Friday

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Now if there was only a way to start and pick those missions without having to search for them...hint hint..
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm kinda mixed on this choice. Don't get me wrong, Polmar Ree is an amazing mission and it totally deserves a spotlight. However, as others have said, it's already very well-known to the STO community and I almost think that a less-known mission should have been chosen.

Still had tons of fun replaying it. And to those who don't like to read, remember that NPC dialogue is saved in your communication log until you log out.
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
I'm kinda mixed on this choice. Don't get me wrong, Polmar Ree is an amazing mission and it totally deserves a spotlight. However, as others have said, it's already very well-known to the STO community and I almost think that a less-known mission should have been chosen.

Still had tons of fun replaying it. And to those who don't like to read, remember that NPC dialogue is saved in your communication log until you log out.
It's not necessarily at all known to the newbies ;-) -- don't forget those folks (who might not even have a clue what's Foundry or Foundry Missions anyhow...). IMO a great choice for a mission, and however many times I've read the mission name in the past, y'day was the first I got my hands on it (albeit having played thro a few dozen missions from Foundry so far...).
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Sorry, I did not find the mission interesting enough to even finish it (reading all the text pushed this way past 60min for me). Lets hope next week is better?