Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So.... the reason why not all missions have voice overs (imo therefore become lame) is hiring the voice actors. Out of some reasons fan made voice overs are not a solution either.

So... what if players spent cryptic points for voice overs on missions and episodes. I'd pay (yes believe it).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Well, I've been told for years I should be a voice actor, but its a tough field to get into which is more complicated when known celebrities, usually annoying ones are taking the jobs from those busting their butts off trying to break into the business. If Cryptic gives me a shot, I'll do it and for less money for that matter. Lets be honest... much of the voice acting is rather wincing to listen to and uninspiring at times.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-07-2012, 11:45 AM
If 100 people pay for voice overs is not enough.Also if you do it for 100 or 1000 people there is no reason on this planet to keep it only for them,If you want to make money from nothing you better put Pepsi (or other comercials ) adds on ESD walls that way you as company get the money in advance and you know on what to spend them
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtct View Post
If 100 people pay for voice overs is not enough.Also if you do it for 100 or 1000 people there is no reason on this planet to keep it only for them,If you want to make money from nothing you better put Pepsi (or other comercials ) adds on ESD walls that way you as company get the money in advance and you know on what to spend them
I expect >>1000 to pay for voice overs. Ads are always great, I am just not sure what Klingons are supposed to do with Chanel, Lancome or Pepsi. The ads must fit into the game. STO ain't Battle Field.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
It's actually a legal issue here. Under California state law, it is illegal to hire non-professional voice actors for any commercially licensed product.

Even if the actors are uncredited, if they're not a member of the Screen Actors Guild, the developers can get in trouble for using it.

It goes beyond just what California and Hollywood have laid down. So long as the product that the voice over is being used for is making any form of money, financial compensation HAS to be paid to the actors, be they volunteers, professionals, or otherwise.




That's not even going into detail about the amount of time it would take to sort through hundreds of voice samples to find the perfect voice for this character and that. Even if they did match up a suitable voice for every character, they still need to maintain some standard of quality and make sure that the acting is actually passable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusashorn
That's not even going into detail about the amount of time it would take to sort through hundreds of voice samples to find the perfect voice for this character and that. Even if they did match up a suitable voice for every character, they still need to maintain some standard of quality and make sure that the acting is actually passable.
Because Cryptic has such high standards in that regard.

Honestly, there are entire story arcs I do with the sound muted because the crummy "voice acting" just plain grates on my ears. No way in hell am I paying money to add MORE of their preferred brand of vocal no-talent to the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure if there is a corelation between the cost of hiring voice talent and the escalating costs associated with producing story missions that have been cited by developers but if that's the case maybe it's worth addressing here.

I don't feel the inclusion of VAs is really conducive to immersion or contibutes greatly to a better in game experience. On the occaisions when the VAs have been less than stellar it has in my opinion been to the detriment of the experience.

I concede that many will disagree with me because text only seems antiquated but if the right words (compelling dialogue) were to flash across the bottom of your screen wouldn't it be possible to imagine what a voice saying it might sound like?

As fans of star trek most users probably have a wealth of voices stowed away in their memory. When I read what a vulcan or a klingon is saying to me I have a preconception of how it is being commuinicated. To my memory this is as it should be and debate over the quality of each individuals interpretations isn't likely to devolve into arguements and criticism on the boards. Cryptic is in turn relieved of an expense prohibitive to further production of stories and we as users could receive more content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horridperson
I'm not sure if there is a corelation between the cost of hiring voice talent and the escalating costs associated with producing story missions that have been cited by developers but if that's the case maybe it's worth addressing here.

I don't feel the inclusion of VAs is really conducive to immersion or contibutes greatly to a better in game experience. On the occaisions when the VAs have been less than stellar it has in my opinion been to the detriment of the experience.

I concede that many will disagree with me because text only seems antiquated but if the right words (compelling dialogue) were to flash across the bottom of your screen wouldn't it be possible to imagine what a voice saying it might sound like?

As fans of star trek most users probably have a wealth of voices stowed away in their memory. When I read what a vulcan or a klingon is saying to me I have a preconception of how it is being commuinicated. To my memory this is as it should be and debate over the quality of each individuals interpretations isn't likely to devolve into arguements and criticism on the boards. Cryptic is in turn relieved of an expense prohibitive to further production of stories and we as users could receive more content.
I guess I'm one of those people who disagree with you. Reading text is cheap (in the sense of low quality, lame, iPhone game). I clearly do not have voices in my head and I can pretend those portraits talk.

I also prefer starcraft and ******** with VA just like in any other game. Starcraft possibly has more VA than the entire wow and only costs around 50 bucks.

Catering to the different likes and dislikes is the whole idea of this thread. Those who don't need VA can spend their CPs elsewhere. Those who relish voice acting pay cash. Simple.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Again, I'd like to point out that Cryptic cannot hire anyone who pays them money to have their voice put into the game. They would have to pay THEM money if they did.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.