Lt. Commander
# 1 End of Featured Episodes?
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I can't remember where I heard this so I don't have anything to quote or link, but I read something about how much of a problem developing the Featured Episodes were becoming and that they were becoming more and more expensive with each series. I remember before my hiatus from this game the FE was the big thing, it sounded like we were going to end up in a state where we would get these awesome missions on a regular basis.

It would really be a shame if this was being replaced by all the time slotted mini-missions.

Can we get some closure on this? Has the development of featured episodes dropped on the list of priorities underneath lock boxes and mini-missions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
I can't remember where I heard this so I don't have anything to quote or link, but I read something about how much of a problem developing the Featured Episodes were becoming and that they were becoming more and more expensive with each series. I remember before my hiatus from this game the FE was the big thing, it sounded like we were going to end up in a state where we would get these awesome missions on a regular basis.

It would really be a shame if this was being replaced by all the time slotted mini-missions.

Can we get some closure on this? Has the development of featured episodes dropped on the list of priorities underneath lock boxes and mini-missions?
They haven't come right out and said, They aren't going to do any more...

But it sure sounds that way.

The FE's don't make Cryptic/PWE enough money to constitute their spending the amount of time and effort to make them.

Lock Box Content is a lot more profitable and easier to create.

In other words to Them...

We're sheep and They know we just can't help ourselves when a spiffy new patch of lawn becomes available.

<shrug>

This old ram, is getting full up to here... with manure covered grass.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3148

Quote:
Q: (Tricksterbro) Are the Feature Episodes a thing of the past never to return, or will they be back?

Dstahl: There has been some debate about this and the relative cost of making this specific type of content versus other story related mission content. Each series has been excessively more expensive to make than the last and so there is an evaluation going on to determine the relative development scope of adding new single player story missions to the game. You’ll see us start to answer this question in earnest after the release of Season 6 which is focused on Fleets and group based Fleet Gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl
Each series has been excessively more expensive to make than the last...
Which was completely their own choice, and not some "requirement" of making FEs in general. Sure, they may have needed to have a DS9 exterior map for that mission, but they are also the ones who choose to tell that story. They can choose to tell stories that make use of things they have already made and it wouldnt require as much expense to make the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Well I can understand them not wanting to put out missions people are just going to play once and that's that. But shows the fault of the pace of the game, you need storyline missions but also a major replayability factor that's just as fun as playing it for the 50th time.

But the way cryptic is going now with baseless grinds, I'm not sure how they could pull such a thing off. After all the new Shuttle Event's already getting stale and the STF population is taking a hit now as people are burning out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
For the supposed expenses, those FEs aren't much better than best of the foundry missions that players make for free. Maybe some hiring changes are in order...
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
They haven't come right out and said, They aren't going to do any more...

But it sure sounds that way
this. put it this way, the last time they made a statement about reviewing what they were planning to do with a particular feature (*cough* kdf full content *cough*) they canned it shortly after

this is a case of learning to read between the lines

Quote:
Well I can understand them not wanting to put out missions people are just going to play once and that's that
erm....the entire game is based around the concept of levelling via missions that technically you're only supposed to do once
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Which was completely their own choice, and not some "requirement" of making FEs in general. Sure, they may have needed to have a DS9 exterior map for that mission, but they are also the ones who choose to tell that story. They can choose to tell stories that make use of things they have already made and it wouldnt require as much expense to make the mission.
Nagus, that makes sense, and you know it, which as of late seems to be not, what they will do.

So, to quote a line

" Stop making sense, stop making sense"

Now, excuse me, I have a CD to buy.....
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Ultimately i don't understand how featured series can not be financially viable to do ? They are getting tons of money flung at them at the moment with the kitty carriers and the lockboxes, so where is that money going ???

Also with what i have seen in all the featured series (deferi, devidians, romulans and the cardiassians), there is nothing special about them, the graphics are barely decent by todays standards, the script writing is moderate at best (horrific at worst), the map levels are nothing to write home about (the last featured series pretty much only had 1 new map, the rest was recycled or polished old stuff) and the less said about the voice acting the better.... I really don't see how all the bland averageness about them costs so much to do... In fact i have seen better designed mods with better looking art assets for other games (for free i might add).

Here is my take on why its not financially viable to do the featured series, most of the money is being sent elsewhere (probably to fund neverwinter and their other mysterious unnamed game). All STO is to cryptic is a quick cash grab to try and milk as much money as possible for as little dev effort as possible, which would explain why the STO team always seems to be understaffed or never has enough staff and why just about every patch seems to break something new, because STO is being done on the cheap.

It also explains why every single upcoming new thing seems to be multiplayer time gated maps, because they are the easiest and cheapest fluff content to do.

Ultimately seeing all the cash grab and the way the game isnt set up with enough content to keep players interested, does not make me want to reward cryptic by giving them my money !
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't know whether to cry, yell, facepalm or do a Jack Benny look-away gaze