Lt. Commander
# 1 Out-Promoting the Content
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
An early-adopting Life Member, I've come back to STO after about a 1 yr absence, and I'm really happy with one thing :most of the changes are wonderful - better storylines, more mission options, DOFFs, etc. Great!

But one problem has gotten worse - promotion is this game is just *way way too fast*.
It was always too fast (just like in the companion game, CO), but now it's really gone crazy.

I re-activated one of my minor characters, LT10, about 2 weeks ago.
He's played maybe 10 missions, but has been very active giving out DOFF assignments.
He's now a Level 24 Commander. After 10 missions!

Most of my equipment is still Level IV, because there hasn't been time to upgrade it. I got it only a few days ago. Why should I bother with Level V or Level VI equipment? I'll soon be able to use Level VIII.

It hasn't been worth doing any crafting, because by the time I go to Memory Alpha, gather bits & do it, I will have out-levelled the equipment.

Many missions I never get to try, because I out-level them so fast.

WHY IS THIS SO?

I want to enjoy my long and varied Starfleet career , gradually rising through the ranks as I have more and more adventures, not be railroaded headlong up the promotion ladder. Seems like I go up a level every time I leave the Captain's chair to go to the head!

If this crazy rapid promotion is to appease the short-attention-span bubblegum crowd - fine, let THEM have it.

But give me the option to slow down promotion, or even turn off XP completely (like I can in CoH) so I can enjoy my Starfleet career. PLEASE!

Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by routier View Post
An early-adopting Life Member, I've come back to STO after about a 1 yr absence, and I'm really happy with one thing :most of the changes are wonderful - better storylines, more mission options, DOFFs, etc. Great!

But one problem has gotten worse - promotion is this game is just *way way too fast*.
It was always too fast (just like in the companion game, CO), but now it's really gone crazy.

I re-activated one of my minor characters, LT10, about 2 weeks ago.
He's played maybe 10 missions, but has been very active giving out DOFF assignments.
He's now a Level 24 Commander. After 10 missions!

Most of my equipment is still Level IV, because there hasn't been time to upgrade it. I got it only a few days ago. Why should I bother with Level V or Level VI equipment? I'll soon be able to use Level VIII.

It hasn't been worth doing any crafting, because by the time I go to Memory Alpha, gather bits & do it, I will have out-levelled the equipment.

Many missions I never get to try, because I out-level them so fast.

WHY IS THIS SO?

I want to enjoy my long and varied Starfleet career , gradually rising through the ranks as I have more and more adventures, not be railroaded headlong up the promotion ladder. Seems like I go up a level every time I leave the Captain's chair to go to the head!

If this crazy rapid promotion is to appease the short-attention-span bubblegum crowd - fine, let THEM have it.

But give me the option to slow down promotion, or even turn off XP completely (like I can in CoH) so I can enjoy my Starfleet career. PLEASE!

You can't out level the content, because the rewards and missions now scale to your level. My silver account was leveled to VA by 95% Doffing. I had only done a few of the klingon missions and the DS9 FE with it and now I'm doing the missions and getting all VA level rewards. Leveling won't slow down sadly so just avoid wasting time and resources on lower level gear and ships and save it for your VA ships, and leave whatever rank you want on your chest.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Apparently One of the Devs, believes that the game doesn't begin until you hit level 50, as I think this is dsthal, and the head developer. I think they want you to hit level 50 as quickly as possible. So they have it set up to do just that. I took a toon from level 21 to 30 in about 12 hours maybe less time in game, in the last 2 days. with all level 4 equipment and missing one or two consoles, and a fleet member of mine, went from one to 50 in 3 days.

The way its set up is to get you to hit cap as soon as possible, I think the real reason its set up this way is to get you to buy more character slots so you'll level up more toons. Right now the only real way to slow down your promotion system is to NOT do DOFF missions. I have lost count of the number of levels I gained by logging in for 5 minutes a day, and collecting DOFF awards.

its crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2012, 01:23 AM
I actually spoke to one of the beta testers about 2 months ago and he said the Devs were comfortable with the fast levelling speed and also the super high doff xp that increased levelling speed past 30 to the point that you'll never get to fully enjoy flying your basic exploration cruiser before it's made obsolete tomorrow by star cruisers and other advanced starships.

You have to really be a masochist to level slowly, such as playing on Elite difficulty (you definitely need rare gear everywhere to even have a chance to survive), not doing doffs (sell every pack you got on the exchange and make millions!) etc.

And that's why we have tens of thousands of flag officers and no rank and file to any actual work of keeping the Federation intact - the devs are comfortable with the levelling pace..

ps. Don't quote me on para. 1. Already I see Cryptic's black helicopters circling overhead.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Oh to be able to stop at captain

Can you actually Sell ALL of the Duty officers?
I think the first pack auto unpacks
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Oh to be able to stop at captain

Can you actually Sell ALL of the Duty officers?
I think the first pack auto unpacks
The ones I just bought on the exchange yesterday also auto opened.