Lt. Commander
# 41
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Striking an ultimate balance between story and combat is always a challenge for authors. When an author publishes a story, it's released for all to play. And the sad reality is, not everyone will enjoy it. Which isn't to say the story itself is a bad one, just that everyone has different expectations when they hop on.

That said, I can say with 100% certainty regardless of your tastes/preferences, there are missions on the Foundry you will enjoy, and some authors will try to give you an idea as to how much combat to expect.

Anyhow, glad to see the Foundry spotlight is making a comeback and rewards for playing such content has been a long time coming.

Congrats, Alimac30. Keep it up.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I liked the use of the pop-up Bulletin that they used ingame .
Good use of that feature .
On a positive note it was good use of the abandoned Bulletin system.

On the other hand, having it pop up everytime people log on, might cause resentment. So hopefully the Dev Team can make a Bulletin indicator that tcan alert people without having it in their face.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
On a positive note it was good use of the abandoned Bulletin system.

On the other hand, having it pop up everytime people log on, might cause resentment. So hopefully the Dev Team can make a Bulletin indicator that tcan alert people without having it in their face.
It only pops up one time, per character, each time a new bulletin is added. So, if you log-in to all of your toons on Friday, you will not see it pop up again until the next Friday (unless another bulletin is added before then).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
It only pops up one time, per character, each time a new bulletin is added. So, if you log-in to all of your toons on Friday, you will not see it pop up again until the next Friday (unless another bulletin is added before then).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, something at least to think about. After all, wouldn't it be nice if there was an event indicator / blinker if there was a change in the Event Calander or like this replay event that "hey this is going on, join in the fun!" without needing to visit the website to stay informed?
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Bulletin is perfectly fine, don't bother doing anything else to change it.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orat
Incredible work on that mission Alimac30. From story line to awesome map creation - I am really impressed.

Thanks h2orat, I really appreciate that!

And a massive thank you to everybody who has provided feedback in this thread.

I'm not unaware that there are some valid criticisms of spotlighting 'City of the Polmar Ree'; it's a FED-only mission, it's dialog-heavy and combat-light, it's already been featured on many of the STO-related podcasts, and (along with my other missions) it's already quite well known amongst those who have a interest in Foundry-generated content.

But I was thrilled and honored that this mission was chosen to re-launch the Foundry. The spotlight is about showing off the Foundry to those players who don't already have an interest in it, and I hope 'Polmar Ree' showed a lot of previously-uninitiated players that there is great Foundry content out there, some player-created missions that really feel like Star Trek stories, and I hope it also tempted a few of them to try creating Foundry content of their own

I'm so pleased that this will be a weekly feature, meaning that there will be plenty of opportunities to feature KDF Foundry missions, different types of stories (some with more combat, and some with less), and also to spotlight missions from up-and-coming authors who could benefit from the publicity.

To let you know some numbers related to this:
  • The number of reviews received by 'City of the Polmar Ree' in the 6 months before the spotlight was 6746.
  • The number of extra reviews it received in the 3 days after the spotlight was 4013!

So this was certainly a tremendous boost to the mission, but much more importantly I hope the spotlight was also a boost to the Foundry, its community, and the game as a whole. Players and Foundry authors alike can only benefit from publicity we can give to the Foundry, and I can't thank Branflakes enough for working so hard to bring the Foundry spotlight back!

Long may it continue!
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Congrats, alimac30!

On a broader note, I'm extremely happy to see the Foundry spotlight back, though I don't envy anyone having to pick them from so many good missions.

It's also hard not to be excited by the possibility of 4000 plays in a couple of days -- that's 13 times as many as one of my missions so far (20 times if not for a very kind review on Podcast UGC). This would definitely be an encouragement and a vindication for all of us laboring away over a hot keyboard. (Reminds me, I should get my laptop looked at...)

Here's to hoping the return of the spotlight does great things for the Foundry and best of luck to all my fellow authors.