Lt. Commander
# 31
02-27-2012, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug1
Two questions.

1: Can I depict planets from episodes, such as Talos IV?

2: I am considering an episode with Soong type androids, (which always look like Data, Lore, B4, etc...)
Would this episode follow the EULA?
1. As far as I understood the EULA, there is general no restiriction on using places and names.

2. ST Androids are generally OK because they don't depict a single person from the series/movies. But they must NOT look like one of the actors. I am not 100% sure but a "bald" Android with the skin tone and eyes of Data -without looking like a bald Brent Spiner- should get you on the safe side.
Personally I would still avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet_Admiral_Joy
I was hoping to create a mission that has Hugh and Worf in it, looks like I'll have to scrub that idea now. Dang. The Foundry EULA is a wash-out, makes creating real content with people we aint seen for ever impossible.
Use your imagination and tell a new story: Invent Worf's illegimate Half-Sister (that way you avoid a Worf lookalike). Or create a sentinent Borg who references Hugh (which is allowed).

If you can tell a good story that gets the player attached and involved you don't need known characters, just give the player an "anchor" to the events of the Series
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryteller0
If you can tell a good story that gets the player attached and involved you don't need known characters, just give the player an "anchor" to the events of the Series
Or just tell your own story without relying on an "anchor". The best episodes of Voyager never mentioned things that happened in DS9, TNG, or TOS.. and the same is true of all the series. In fact, when one series went out of it's way to mention another series, the results were always kind of stilted and terrible.

Really Dr. Crusher? The Enterprise 1701 encountered an intoxication virus just like this, and it took you the whole episode to find it in the database? And it took Riker telling the android to look up incidents of "people taking a shower in their clothes?"

There are many stories, and many ships, and many thousands of Starfleet officers all throughout the history of the Federation. Couldn't your story have easily happened to a Captain WIlliamson of the USS Intrepid in 2280?
Lt. Commander
# 33 Tech issues with Foundry EULA
03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I started work on a custom mission that's mostly intended for my fleet of close to 100 people. They're sick of dialogue-heavy missions and "just want pew-pew". So I'm putting together a straight-up war that's designed for heavy co-op with tons of ships from different races.

I'm bringing this up here because now I'm concerned that this will just be seen as farming accolades. Am I getting paranoid or is there a legit concern here?
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Ok, so quick question regarding the EULA and content from licensed games.

I've started thinking about producing a re-make of "Star Trek: A Final Unity" (sure, it maybe indicates a lack of imagination, but the game was pretty fantastic).

The main impetus for this thought was that, if you have the original CD, it is possible to extract the sound files. I know you cannot upload sound for the Foundry, but it's not too difficult to put together a little HTML interface which - as an optional extra - they can Alt+Tab (or in Steam just go to the overlay) to and have voice-acting to go along with the mission.

(Of course people would have to extract the sound files from their -own- copies of the original CD so as not to be distributing copyrighted content. Also, if I were to do this, I wouldn't use the voices for the Enterprise D crew, as everyone has their own crew. But the NPCs could be voiced).

Thing is, the game comes replete with a range of characters and locations which are specific to that game. Am I to take it that any reference to, say, the Chodak or Garidians or the planet Morassia, is incompatible with the Foundry EULA?
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper-42 View Post
Ok, so quick question regarding the EULA and content from licensed games.

I've started thinking about producing a re-make of "Star Trek: A Final Unity" (sure, it maybe indicates a lack of imagination, but the game was pretty fantastic).

The main impetus for this thought was that, if you have the original CD, it is possible to extract the sound files. I know you cannot upload sound for the Foundry, but it's not too difficult to put together a little HTML interface which - as an optional extra - they can Alt+Tab (or in Steam just go to the overlay) to and have voice-acting to go along with the mission.

(Of course people would have to extract the sound files from their -own- copies of the original CD so as not to be distributing copyrighted content. Also, if I were to do this, I wouldn't use the voices for the Enterprise D crew, as everyone has their own crew. But the NPCs could be voiced).

Thing is, the game comes replete with a range of characters and locations which are specific to that game. Am I to take it that any reference to, say, the Chodak or Garidians or the planet Morassia, is incompatible with the Foundry EULA?
I thoroughly enjoyed A FINAL UNITY when it came out all those years ago, would be great to see something like that on the Foundry but with the EULA it may not even be possible.

I personally think the EULA needs changing, they say we cannot replicate the likeness of an actor/character as they'd need to be paid royalties, however how do other games get away with it, look at the Sims series for instance, they get away with such things all the time as people are always creating UGC of celebrities.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for from other helpful people and I will be watching closely to see if your mission becomes live.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Ha, someone else looking into A Final Unity. I still consider that the best Star Trek Game.

I have a question. I'm creating a mission (my first one. It's rubbish right now, but we'll see how it goes) in which the player comes across an ancient Chodak base, and release a genetically engineered Chodak. Now, this character will look nothing like the chodak seen in A Final Unity, except for his skin colour and yellow eyes, but they will be heavy mentions to the game and the Enterprise's mission. I'm also thinking of mentioning places like Allanor (may visit here) and The Unity Device itself, as well as Garidians in later epsiodes.

Now, I figure talking about the game as a previous mission is fine, but as the Chodak and Garidians were exclusivly from that game, would I be allowed to use them in this fashion in these missions?

Would I be allowed to use Pentara, as she isn't a real person and so doesn't bear a likeness to anyone (as far as I know), but she was seen and created for A Final Unity? I don't know if I would use Pentara, or make some random Garidian up, but I may as well ask.

Also, would I be allowed to utilise that Romulan ship from series 4 of Enterprise, the one that could mimic other ships? Obviously it would not appear in it's natural form, as that does not exist in the foundary, but could I use it as a plot point if I use other ships and say it's that Romulan ship in disguise?
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
  • You may not use New Game Materials to endorse or appose any political party, association (e.g., republican, democrat, candidates, or otherwise) or any side of any issue.
The ambiguity of that last part has concerned me for a long time, and now that I'm finally getting ready to publish some things I've been working on since the Foundry appeared, I'm wondering if there's been any clarification in regards to it. I mean, surely our mission can suggest that superstition, nationalism, vigilantism, slavery, or at least genocide is generally not OK, even though there is another ‘side’ to each of those assertions.

I imagine that the intent is to prohibit making statements on current ‘hot-button’ political issues, for Cryptic's sake, but even with that in mind, I feel like it stands a lot to gain from more specificity. Must I consult Picard to find out where the line must be drawn?
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Here's a EULA question I've come up with over the past day or so:

Can we have the player assume the role of a character from the shows. For example I've been thinking about creating some "holodeck programs" about Klingon history. Some of the great old battle stories from the time of Kahless all the way up to TOS era. These might be battles referenced in the show or ones I invent.

The idea would be that the player starts the mission in the holodeck, then that asset fades and they play out the historical story, taking on the role of someone who was there. Other NPCs address them as that character (like we've seen in the shows in holodeck programs). My original thought was to invent characters who were at these battles, but what if we can have the player take on the role of a canon historical figure.

For example, say I wanted to recreate the Battle of Klach D'Kel Brakt, with the player playing Kor. Obviously there's no way to change the player's likeness, so I wouldn't depict Kor in any way visually, and I'd make sure not to depict any other canon characters (might reference a few in dialogue though) but NPCs would address the player as Kor.

Is that permissible? Or should I go back to my original thought of making it all up completely or using battles that were talked about, but not in great detail?
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Here's a EULA question I've come up with over the past day or so:

Can we have the player assume the role of a character from the shows. For example I've been thinking about creating some "holodeck programs" about Klingon history. Some of the great old battle stories from the time of Kahless all the way up to TOS era. These might be battles referenced in the show or ones I invent.

The idea would be that the player starts the mission in the holodeck, then that asset fades and they play out the historical story, taking on the role of someone who was there. Other NPCs address them as that character (like we've seen in the shows in holodeck programs). My original thought was to invent characters who were at these battles, but what if we can have the player take on the role of a canon historical figure.

For example, say I wanted to recreate the Battle of Klach D'Kel Brakt, with the player playing Kor. Obviously there's no way to change the player's likeness, so I wouldn't depict Kor in any way visually, and I'd make sure not to depict any other canon characters (might reference a few in dialogue though) but NPCs would address the player as Kor.

Is that permissible? Or should I go back to my original thought of making it all up completely or using battles that were talked about, but not in great detail?
Saw you today/tonight on ugc chat, in the direct translation of the eula, you should be safe but its close. might as well make it and if they take it down then they take it down
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Kind of where I'm leaning. I can always rewrite with generic characters later.